Reviews for Trial By Tenderness
Anonymous chapter 3 . 7/12
Man , its really giving a glimpse of what addiction can be
5th Dimension chapter 1 . 9/1/2016
Your first chapter is a combination of pseudo-intellectual babbling and purple prose. You use too many words to describe simple concepts, and wax poetic, wasting time telling rather than showing. You avoid the word "said" too much, a mark of an amateur, using wasteful and pointless dialogue tags that distract rather than add.

There are times in which interesting concepts pop up. "Someone who's met real suffering" is an interesting thing to push into the Goddesses' lives, considering the slice of life nature of the manga. But when presented this way it makes me not care.

I skipped forwards to chapter 170 to see if it improves. Here's what I got (no real spoilers):
-A little less dense, but still wordy.
-None of the characters speak like themselves. They are all out-of-character. Even given potential changes to them, they all sound like the SAME character, with the same pseudo-intellectual tone.
-Still avoiding the word "said" in favor of wasteful and pointless dialogue tags.
-Self-inserts are not bad. But when you make them more powerful than the Almighty, they become Mary Sues. I don't care if it has a good reason, or if it plays a part in the plot. Your self-insert has deus ex machina abilities. When he says stuff like "I won't allow the Almighty to do X," and Belldandy confirms that he's capable of it, something is fundamentally wrong with your story, no matter how sad his backstory might be or what drawbacks might exist.
-Your self-insert has many traditional Mary Sue traits on top of being a reality warper.
-Apparently, time travel is involved at some point. That's generally not a plus.

You have over 2,000,000 words dedicated to this. I'm guessing 80% of that is due to wasteful behavior. If you decide to pick up this story again, learn to follow the Law of Conservation of Detail. Also known as the principle of "only what's necessary." And perhaps put some thought into it, if you care about your readers at all. If you don't, perhaps only write it for your own pleasure, and don't post it here.
A Story by Many Names chapter 1 . 7/14/2016
There was another way of saying this. But here's a new way: "All that we know and glory is but a story within a story." We all came from story. There's not much I can comment on yours Cevn, except that it's been an inspiration and unfortunately we all have our own times and places to attend to.
Galeiam chapter 1 . 1/15/2016
This intro chapters just seems so...Contrived.

The intellectual angle is just so forced on that every time he makes an introspective remark it only comes out like something found on google.
Champ11 chapter 10 . 4/27/2015
Bravo, this is one of the best SI stories I've ever read. Good work. I've only gotten to chapter 10, but if the past nine chapters are anything like the (as of now) 161 chapters ahead, you've got me hooked for the long haul.

Oh, by the way, congrats on your 100th story follow.
cko2 chapter 6 . 11/21/2014
Just started reading this after 6 chapters and just have to wow.
Zelenal chapter 170 . 8/28/2014
Congratulations. I haven't read a word of this but I just need to congratulate you on COMPLETELY SURPASSING THE WORD COUNTS EVERY OTHER WORK OF FICTION IN HISTORY. According to Wikipedia, the longest novel is "Artamène ou le Grand Cyrus" which, in French, is around 2,100,000 words long. The novel that currently holds the Guinness World Record is "À la recherche du temps perdu" which is only 1,267,069 words long (again, in French).

As you very well know, you've well surpassed both of these. Once again, congratulations.
BladeRy chapter 170 . 8/13/2014
Holy damn. I remember this story. Found the txt files on my pc saved from year 2002, it was a great story. Happy to see its not dropped.

Keep up the good work
firemanjim chapter 1 . 7/11/2014
Years ago I came across this gem and being a huge fan of AMG!, I have to say that this is my favorite fanfic of all time, even though there was some parts that just went way over my head. But I still loved reading it and I was saddened that the story seemed to be in limbo for so long. But I'm thrilled to see that you began posting more chapters Cevyn.
"Trial by Tenderness" was the very first fanfic I ever read, and I was intrigued by the fact that you also placed your own personal experiences in it as well. I really do love this story, and because of what you have written here, I was inspired to write my own fanfic set in another anime world called "Last Alarm", and like yourself, I placed my own life experiences in it as well.
Thank you for writing "Trial by Tenderness" Cevyn. It truly is a work of art, and again, is my favorite fanfic of all time. I encourage you to continue writing more chapters for this wonderful story, and I really look forward to reading them. Thanks! Firemanjim
Dragon Man 180 chapter 170 . 6/22/2014
Well, I'm glad Cevn and Urd have a much better chance of getting together now that True History has been restored. Everyone is home in their proper time, Troubradour is banished from Earth and Keiichi isn't possessed. Time to go renegade Goddess Hunting!
steamrick chapter 1 . 6/22/2014
Wow, your story is getting some pretty intense flames.

Even so, I admit to being curious just what you've written and after reading entirely through Wildbow's Worm (and its 1.8 million words) this is not entirely too intimidating (or so I tell myself).

I guess you can expect a second review from me at some point in the future. Until then, good writing :)
Amazing Read chapter 50 . 4/13/2014
Frist I'd like to address the author:

I am impressed, very impressed mind you, at not only the length of the fiction, but the quality.

I must admit, I'm the type to peak at the reviews before peaking at the story. From the grape vine of my friends, I'd heard a great many things...both good and bad...and thusly, it took me some time to decide if I wanted to begin this massive undertaking of a story.

It has yet to disappoint.

As of right now, I am only to chapter 50, after 3 weeks of reading in my free time, so I've got quite a long way to go yet. However, I wanted to dive deeply into your story, get a good look, and determine for myself the prose at hand...

It has been enjoyable. It has made me lose sleep...and there have been times I became ill at the thoughts, feelings, and mindsets described within the passages of not only the goddess, but the character that so often narrates the complexities in the world in which he lives. That is what I expect of a good book...it is what I expect to find in movies, in artistic endeavors great and small...and yet, instead I find it here...on a fan fiction website.

I believe that makes my astonishment all the more clear.

True, the length is an intimidation to many, and true the topics are difficult to accept, and true that this is a very unforgiving work of art, if what I know to come in later arcs of the story become reality in written word...I still can't find a fault, nor a reason why not to give the work utmost praise.

I shall next address my fellows who read this work:

Give it a good chance. A good solid and lengthy chance. Place everything you know, every moral, every truth into a little box. Let the author's words flow through you, and let the realities become the story's universal truth. Within that, you will goon an adventure beyond your wildest dreams...and it is both a heaven, and the worst hell of which to think...

In that way, it captures the Ah, My Goddess universe perfectly.
Samjax chapter 169 . 4/8/2014
Get a new life and quit writing this. Who the heck is going to waste their valuable time reading this never ending story hum? Not me that's for sure dude.
Guest chapter 25 . 2/4/2014
How do you pronounce Cevn? Is it said like "seven," "kevin," "sevung," or "seevun?"
Samjax chapter 1 . 2/1/2014