Reviews for The Point of Divergence
LOVEPOINT33 chapter 4 . 11/25/2010
Question: Why, at the bottom of the chapter, did Sakura have non-query dialogue capped with question marks?
Venus914 chapter 12 . 11/12/2010
I don't like this...too emo. Naruto is playing the role of a victim to the hilt and he has the nerve to get mad at Neji for treating Hinata that way? How about the way he treated lee and his disrespect for Gai and for others? He thinks he is right all the time...i'm sorry but i dont wanna finish this anymore.
Wonijs chapter 12 . 11/8/2010
this is a good read
I can't be bothered to login chapter 17 . 10/23/2010
Hi, i really like your story and i may finish it eventually, i just dislike the lack of focus naruto gets, i think that in a well rounded naruto-fic the main character must get atleast half the story time.
NarutosBrat chapter 20 . 10/6/2010
You've got a mistake in your word glossary. Godaime is the Fifth, Yondaime is the Fourth.

Seems like Danzo bungled his timing in killing off Sarutobi. Doing it while Kabuto was in the Chuunin Exams may have cost him his scapegoat.
Ruinous Crow chapter 31 . 10/1/2010
Nicely done. I love how you incorporated recent manga findings into your story. I'm glad you're doing a sequel. For a while there it didn't look like you would continue this story :)

Honestly, one of the best Naruto fics I've read.
FenrirKeyblade chapter 1 . 9/30/2010
Ah, damn. I was thinking of doing something like this- where Sasuke dies when protecting Naruto from Haku (but he's not actually dead, wtf?), then I found this.

Poor Naruto, with his guilt angst.
Viktorius chapter 31 . 9/27/2010
This is amazing, I can't believe it isn't in the 6000 review cataegory!

More please :D
IceLegatus chapter 4 . 9/26/2010
really cool story can't wait for the confrontation. only question is though, will Naruto now learn the Chidori.
TerrorOFDeathHaseo chapter 31 . 9/22/2010
dude, this was a great story, its always refreshing to read a story where a person actually puts effort into the characters growth as a ninja, personalities and relationships. A lot of the things you did with character development (pleasantly) surprised the hell out of me when you went the complete opposite direction i was thinking it would go in. I definitely cant wait to get into the sequel, Kudos and good luck to you.
T chapter 31 . 9/10/2010
I think this line pretty much summarises my problems with this story: 'Please understand that I'm portraying a ninja world which is somewhat different than canon.'

You write brilliantly, but you miss the whole point of a 'divergence' story. They are unique and enjoyable because they explore the repercussions of a -single- often minor change in the canonical continuum. The changes they explore and narrate are fascinating precisely because of how they both mirror and warp the canonical reality, but this only holds true insofar as they can be realistically said to have resulted from the single given change.

Your story doesn't do this. Too many of the changes you make have nothing to do with Sasuke's death. I'm not just talking about Lee's collosal drop in power relative to the manga, but more fundamentally to the 'chakra poisoning' sub story itself, the Akatsuki's altered actions, Sarutobi's assassination, the Raikage's conquest of Suna, and pretty much everything expounded upon in the final few chapters (not limited to, but especially including, Gaara and Naruto's double teaming of Han - why was Han even there?).

The most basic question I found myself asking when reading your story was 'why does Sasuke dying make the ninja world "somewhat different" in its fundamental character at all?' And the most obvious answer is that it doesn't, but you've fallen into the usual trap of messing around with the rules of the universe to better reflect your own perspective on reality rather than the canon writer's.

I've got no objection to that, but not in a story that claims to represent a universe taken in a very slightly different direction from the original. Your change isn't subtle at all - it's immense and all encompassing. And by the end of it, whilst I enjoyed the story, its characters simply bore too little resemblance to their manga counterparts.
77 chapter 20 . 9/10/2010
A highly enjoyable and original story with well developed characters and a believable plot - the only problem being that the developed characters occasionally bear only a passing resemblance to their manga counterparts. The entire cast act far too maturely and worldly, both for their respective ages and in comparison to their manga actions. This is most notable in the case of Naruto himself; suffering can effect a greater maturity and seriousness, but rarely the kind of jaded insight your version spontaneously develops. In particular, his attitude towards Lee is the polar opposite of how his manga counterpart would have ever reacted to anyone - the cornerstone of Naruto's manga personality is his faith and determination, not only in himself but more particularly that any conviction can be held if one has the strength to believe in it.

On the subject of Lee, his semi heel turn, whilst necessary to the plot, is really fairly inelegantly done. Manga and anime Lee routinely manages to match opponents with the full complement of ninja abilities, gaining sufficient speed and power to outstrip the best of their abilities. His sensei Gai goes one better, defeating in one move an opponent that the second strongest Jinchuriki in the series struggled to match without displaying a shred of ninjutsu or genjutsu. Your writing ability is too good entirely to fall prey to the archetypal fanfic writer's curse - the bastardisation of canon character to fit a personal agenda.

Sakura was dealt with similarly; her manga counterpart is immature but also principally a shrinking violet at this point in the story. She shies from death, yet you have her display neither hesitation nor fear when attempting to deal it out to her team mate. Even given the circumstances, hers seems to be a drastic personality shift.

Similarly, Itachi's abilities are grossly underestimated in your story. He has access to many more powerful techniques than those he uses, but puts them on the backburner for seeming no reason other than to bow to the imperatives of the plot.
bakkasama chapter 31 . 9/2/2010
Thanks for writting this story! I really enjoyed reading it. I loved how the plot continued scalating to its climax and how the characters are developed, some fanfictions characters out there have no personality other than "smarter" or "musclehead" or "real ass". You neither painted them as "flawless" nor made act for petty reasons as in other fanfictions I've seen out there, but actually took the work to think them over. It's nice for a change.

About the fights, its nice to see you didn't fall into the common mistake of making the rest of the ninjas weaker in order to make Naruto look stronger but I have to say you relly a bit too much on elemental jutsus and genjutsu (it's just my opinion but a bit of shurikenjutsu and the D and C rank non elemental jutsus might spice things up)though genjutsu is something not many people add and make things interesting.

And I want to read the sequel.
Neccor chapter 31 . 8/31/2010
Good chapter, Looking forward to the next update.
CARLTOOOOOOOOOON chapter 13 . 8/30/2010
Excellent writing in all chapters so far. I'd say keep it up but the story's already done. :D Good going.
870 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 .. Last Next »