Reviews for Deus Ex Machina
DarkHorseBlueSky chapter 1 . 10/1/2013
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
you've made me cry a second time...

"The fiery passion that flared up in the man was nothing like the cool, hard determination that hung as a scent around the boy, and the selfish brilliance radiating from him, brittle under his skin, was completely unlike Aizawa's dedication to avenging his fallen friend."
That line was beautiful.

"There was a body on the floor, and when that body had been a person, it had been attached to a letter, an identity comprised of two pen strokes. It had thought and it had fought and it had kicked and screamed until it made its impact on the world and it had sat and watched things as coolly as ice, and even more calmly.
It was growing cold again now, as heat seeped into the floor, and it was as calm as ever, lying serenely and silently as panic raged above it. No more thinking and no more fighting. There was simply stillness."
That line killed me...

You've broken my fragile fangirl heart for what must be at least the third time.
Thank you.
twinklestar148 chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
This is a great story! I loved every word of it!

Just for my own curiosity, why do you hate Light? I personally think he's the coolest character in Death Note but I understand not everyone is as...fond of him as I am, but I've never really understood WHY, you know? He's just so fascinating! I don't really care if you rant, although this was written a long tie ago, so you might not feel as strongly on it as you once did ;)

Peace!

Twinkle
Katamabob chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
Good L :D Though I personally adore him. I rather prefer to think that he doesn't really like Light. It's less like... betrayal. I like to think L knew what was going on. His death always makes me feel like crying though...

I find myself increasingly fond of the idea of L/Matsu, through various fics that very slightly suggested it, but am yet to read a genuine, full, L/Matsu fic. I should. It's a little adorable...

I loved this, but it made me very sad...

Kate
youroctober chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
Ahh, shoot. I had an entire review written for this and then we got a call about a stabbing victim. Such is being a journalist. I had an hour and a half of literally not doing anything and then suddenly someone gets stabbed and I'm tripping over myself to get out.

But anyway! Once again I loved this story. I've reread it quickly when I got back just to refresh myself, and found I picked up even other things and loved it even more.

One thing I noticed, though, was that sometimes I was really lost. For example, "It was a conclusion that depressed him. He returned his attention to the monitors in front of him." Right after this I became confused, because Yagami pops up, and I didn't know he was there. I think you meant to put three asterisks for a scene break but forgot. And then later, "Light rolled his eyes at the departing figure, reaching to take a sip of his own coffee. The handcuffs jingled." Here I definitely think there needs to be a scene break, or else I missed something because they weren't handcuffed together previously.

Then later, from what I understand, Light isn't handcuffed to him anymore...so I'm further confused. I would suggest going through the story and just tidying that up so the reader can better follow. I mean, this is an older story, so you might not want to be bothered...but I thought I should point it out.

In terms of character development, though, really nicely done. I like the touch of L meeting psychiatrists, and I think the relationship between him and Matsuda is nicely explained and developed. With some tidying so I could fully understand the chain of events I think this story could be really, really great.
Onba chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
I thought this was a good peek into L's character.
KittyMarks chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
Awesome as per usual.

This is your first time writing L? doesn't seem like it!

I really enjoyed reading it and L was totally believable!

x
WamprickNyx chapter 1 . 4/9/2009
Well, I don't support L/Light or L/Matsuda but even if it was an L/Matsuda fic, it probably wouldn't bother me. After all, you write really really REALLY good. I'm an L fan through and through, and if you write an L fic like this without liking him that much... Dammit, I want to write like you! Yeah, I know I shouldn't envy but I do! I do envy you for your talent of writing. Whatever. Just... Keep writing, will you? If that's how you can't write L... Ow dammit! I'll begin ranting soon if I keep going so let me remind you that you're awesome. I'll just go read something now. Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. Darn, why did L have to die? That Light idiot-!

So keep up the good work and make me cry by writing so good

crying nyxiee
hee7 chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
I really REALLY liked this. I was in the whole crowd that believed, deep down, L and Light were really friends. And then Light killed L and I thought: OH HELL NO!

Stopped reading after that. XD

But like this makes me really like L and the integrity of Death Note; it doesn't come up with human relations that make little sense when you don't live in Delusional Land.

All that cute cake stuff is just there to trick ya. OHBA.

I'm definitely keeping you on my radar.
thebookhobbit chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
Ack, how did I miss this before? -kicks self-

But, anyway. I've said before that I like very much both your Matsuda and your Mello, I think. Well, I like your L almost as much. Also, I am officially dedicated to you for putting in that dislike of Light. Because it bothers the heck out of me when people are all "L thinks of Light as his friend!", and because so many people think that, L's dislike of Light doesn't get written much.

To answer your not-question I think most of the hype about L is that he's handsome, mysterious, and smart. Such are the thoughts of most people today. -sad sigh-

I rather liked the scene with L and Matsuda near the end, just because interaction between these two always seems interesting for some reason. Conflicting personalities, I suppose. Although I didn't catch a pairing vibe but I'm rather dense. I also liked the interaction between L and Watari in the beginning, because Watari is underrated.

You write L amazingly well for someone who claims she can't. The subtle nuances you added were quite interesting; for instance, describing him as putting his hand over his eyes seems like the kind of slightly childish thing L would do.

I can't say I saw improvement as the fic went on, but that's because it seemed pretty darned good to start with.

Aizawa. Another topic rarely broached by Death Note fanfiction. He is, as well, very in character. And I liked that you took that one sentence "I like Aizawa-san very much" or however it was phrased, and built so much on it.

The end quote was also very appropriate, as well as L's thoughts as he died. In short, excellent job.
Teowli chapter 1 . 9/22/2008
I'm so glad that someone actually took notice of that tidbit from Death Note 13: How to Read. The writer even says throughout the interview that L is a liar by nature (habitual or otherwise, I'm unsure), but sometimes I wonder if people just conveniently ignore that so they can justify a LxLight fix. Meh, whatever floats a boat.

Awesome fic, and I thought it was well written. Your interpretations of the characters are very conincing. :)
death to pink chapter 1 . 8/28/2008
I've finally begun looking at all these other fics of yours, and first decided on this one. Loved it! Detailed when he was deep in thought, quick when things became fast-paced... your style of writing matches each event perfectly! Very, very good L! :D Same applies to how you portrayed all the other characters, you look deeply into their personalities and relationships and bring them back to life (Well, that's the way I see it... ; )
keem chapter 1 . 8/26/2008
ugh, to be perfectly honest i read this like, WEEKS ago, but i'm a horrible lurker and i always feel like i'm going to wind up saying something incredibly stupid, so i usually avoid dropping a review.

but this fic is exceptionally good, and i love it to pieces, especially the bits between L and Matsuda. i get so sick of seeing LxLight every which way i turn, and it's nice that L would... well, i dont know if "reach out" is the word here, but im going to use it anyway: ...that L would reach out to someone other than Light in the moments leading up to his death, in your portrayal of the rooftop scene. it was very bittersweet and i enjoyed it very much! i only wish that Matsuda would have actually followed him!

L's death has been portrayed in people's writings many time, and a lot of those same people end on that note, but your fic is one of the few fics that ends it on a note that is poignant and powerful. i mean, the last few lines are beautifully crafted. The lines: "There was a body on the floor, and when that body had been a person, it had been attached to a letter, an identity comprised of two pen strokes..." and onwards is just so, *moving*. it's these emotive little descriptions leading up to the very last line "Transmission: L is dead" that gives an otherwise, very blaise observation such a wonderful effect. you litterally gave me chills.

oh gosh, i totally sound like a dork here, so i'm going to shut up now. i just wanted to come out and say: great work.

:slinks back into shadows:

Me: Yes Ma'am.
Morne chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
"good L"

...definitively!

Ive already told you this, but Im repeating it now: I cannot understand why youre so humble when it comes to writing L, while youre truly amazing at it!

Its obvious that you put much thought into his - and also the other ones - characterisation.

I like the way you described Ls changing opinion on the task-force members - when he learns to appreciate their individual traits and the way they complement one another, though theyre not perfect - or even because theyre not perfect.

Your writing style is really awesome.

You put so much thought into details - be it about the characters or the enviroment.

Because of this, the characters seems to be "alive", they appear so realistic. I guess that something like this is really hard to accomplish, so you can be sure about my admiration for you :)

Oh, and dont worry about Matsuda showing up too much! I dont think its even possible that there could ever be "too much Matsuda" anywhere :D

And thanks for the L and Matsuda moment! That definitively made my day!

Well, for not beeing too fond of L and Matsuda together, you sure did a great job with this :)
Chartreux Munchkin chapter 1 . 8/8/2008