Reviews for Last Chance
evanna chapter 27 . 3/7
Whohoo! This story rocks! Though I wish I could have more awkwardly sweet Dumbledore-Tom interactions. Awwww.

One thing starts to irk me a little bit: Your Dumbledore at the beginning seemed to be a bit more well-rounded to me than what you let him show us recently. It's as if the relationship between him and Tom has become restricted to "Ooops, I've painted you too dark, sorry, son." But you've already shown that there is much more to them, and Dumbledore in general never struck me as weak, neither in his judgements towards himself nor in his control over his own temper.

I loved reading this story, and I've developed a soft spot for young Pomona.
Thanks for writing, I'm looking forward to the next update!
Cztelnik chapter 27 . 12/21/2016
Lol, didn't see that coming but glad they were able to resolve it. Tom meets the basilisk and discovers he's the Heir to Slytherin.
Cztelnik chapter 26 . 12/21/2016
Tons going in as a spy. There's no way he'd turn down the opportunity.
Cztelnik chapter 24 . 12/21/2016
That worked although I didn't expect Tom to be that understanding or maturely forgiving. Tom is in the best years of his life to attain whatever heights he wants before his mid-twenties so glad he's dueling but he'll need to find a better outlet with more satisfaction soon. Perhaps teaching.
Cztelnik chapter 23 . 12/21/2016
Tom is the wizard world equivalent of a crack baby but Albus is projecting his own fear onto him and love drives out fear so he ought to consider that. He's been faking it for a long time and was foolish to think Tom wouldn't notice.
Cztelnik chapter 22 . 12/21/2016
Oh yes, really like young Pomona Sprout!
Cztelnik chapter 21 . 12/21/2016
Nice to see Horace finally explain a few things to Albus, let's hope he listens.
Cztelnik chapter 17 . 12/21/2016
The war following him can't be anything but frightening for Tom.
Cztelnik chapter 15 . 12/21/2016
Tom is incredibly good at reading people. He would notice Albus is disappointed in him and thinks he is unnatural. He'll be beyond angry if he ever knows for sure that Albus lied to him. Even a well meaning lie.
Certainly this brush with death will help cement that Albus cares but you can certainly love a parent while simultaneously being bitter at their failings.
Cztelnik chapter 13 . 12/21/2016
Tom chessmaster! Better than than Dark Lord
Cztelnik chapter 12 . 12/21/2016
Albus means well but he's going to have to demonstrate positive benefits from altruism to convince Tom they are greater than the rationality based might makes right life lessons he grew up steeped in.
Cztelnik chapter 10 . 12/21/2016
Really like this idea for the fic. Don't think Moody talks quite right, not that he'd be as clipped or paranoid as his older self but I could see him speaking cockney or a northern accent instead.

The tactic of using him is brilliant to get Tom used to the idea of rather having a guardian who cares. But Tom is brilliant and naturally vengeful. I don't see him giving up his thoughts of making his father pay.
Cztelnik chapter 9 . 12/21/2016
This is a much different, better Albus. Tom might be rather canon, can't blame a child for acting as he did based on his upbringing. Although I'm curious if there are any statistics on orphans during that period in Britain and their longevity/social reputation/ability to succeed.
Cztelnik chapter 4 . 12/21/2016
Albus makes a bad guardian material. Because he has zero interest in raising children other than their potential as cogs in a wheel of society. He's the wizard version of Moriarity, except he stopped physically torturing people after Ariana died. How much of that was regret and how much cleverness at wanting a different image is uncertain.
Cztelnik chapter 3 . 12/21/2016
*Snickers* that unnatural calm might be caused by an addiction to calming draught lemon candy.

Albus in canon isn't a family man or good with children, hence his lack of care for his sister gaining him Alberforth's bitterness as a younger, also neglected sibling. That he ended up headmaster of a school for 11-17 year olds is an all too common travesty caused by people getting positions entirely unsuitable due to a combination typically including; money, power, prestige or who they know.

Albus doesn't have proper caretakers for the children emotionally, even if physically wizards and witches seem to trust accidental magic to watch out for their spawn.
1,357 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »