Reviews for Last Chance
excessivelyperky chapter 26 . 4/7/2019
Very good chapter, and interesting appearance of Hagrid. I suspect that Tom isn't going to get Hagrid in trouble this time (though if Hagrid keeps an Acromantula as a pet, that's on him. Someone needs to tell him that Acromantulas don't like being inside and they are definitely an outdoor pet, just like I told my small daughter about the caterpillar).

Not surprised that the Grindelwald crew spotted him-surprised they didn't in canon, actually.
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 9 . 4/2/2019
This is so sweet. I wonder what's been happening in Slytherin all term
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 7 . 4/2/2019
Man this story is beautiful
HoneyBear94 chapter 27 . 3/16/2019
I see it has been a while since there has been an update but this story is fantastic and so I really hope there is more to come!
Konohamaya Uzumaki chapter 25 . 3/1/2019
I really like your story! It's a shame the real Dumbledore is completely stupid in how to handle children unlike your Dumbledore. Which is really ironic considering he works in a a school with children xp
Guest chapter 27 . 2/13/2019
Whats next?
Jake Crepeau chapter 5 . 2/9/2019
Back in the 1930s and 40s, so-called "inclusive language" did not exist. The concept would have sounded completely ridiculous to everyone back then. The rule at that time was, when speaking of a person of unknown (grammatical) gender, or of an unspecified individual in a group pf missed genders, the default pronoun was the masculine one. (Inclusive language didn't even start to become a thing until the early 1980s, and then, only in the military. It spread from there.)
I love the way you are interweaving the concern over what's going on in the Muggle world. It's helping tremendously in reminding us of the kind of world it was at that time. I also like the way Dumbledore has Slughorn to confide in. In your universe, that's probably what's keeping him from going over to the gray, manipulative Dumbledore that appears in most fanfiction.
I find myself hoping they can save Tom, but with little hope, since attachment disorder generally becomes permanent by the age of three.
Jake Crepeau chapter 3 . 2/9/2019
I always wondered about that canon situation myself. I knew darn well that children in London were evacuated to the countryside during the Blitz, that rural families were tasked with taking in at least one each sometimes more. I was surprised there was even an orphanage left running in London during that time, and found myself questioning Mrs. Rowling's knowledge history, or if she had a reason for ignoring that simple fact...beyond, of course, it's contribution to her basic plotline.
I, too, got the impression from canon that the younger Dumbledore was prone to tantrums. He probably learned that unnatural calm of his the hard way; in fact, that "hard way" may be the reason he took up the mind magics in the first place.
Hetc chapter 22 . 2/5/2019
Thank you so much for this story. Your attention to detail with attachment theory, the realistic to & fro dance of the mistrustful child wih attachment issues, Dumbledore's self doubt, Slughorn as a decnt human being & the marvellous Pomona Sprout - fantastic.
Thank you also for the chilling counterpoint of the muggle world/war updates- it helps ground the story & reinforces the magic of the wizarding world.
scareDcat chapter 27 . 1/31/2019
I absolutely loved this x
Acidwing chapter 27 . 1/21/2019
I remember reading this fic a couple of years ago and it's still awesome!
rhythmia AO3 chapter 27 . 1/14/2019
Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I powered through all the chapters you've posted in one go because the premise and the story has been so compelling! I really love the worldbuilding, especially learning about House Elf culture and society. Really love the way you're adjusting canon, and making Albus and Slughorn and Aberforth these well-rounded characters with flaws and challenges and strengths, who communicate like adults and fuck up at times and then try to make things better. I also really appreciate the way you seem to draw on child development models in terms of the challenges Tom has with managing emotions and relating to people, and the ways his behaviors escalated when he was younger in response to Albus trying to show him affection and that he wasn't going to give him up/abandon him. And I love love love all the scenes with bb!Pomona Sprout and bb!Alastor and bb!Flitwick and bb!McGonagall, everyone seems well-rounded and delightful and I'm glad Tom has a small posse of people who care about him and who seem to be pretty clear-eyed for their age. :D

Also thank you for the little bit of historical context you add in at the beginning of each chapter, that's pretty neat! Wishing you all the best on your writing journey, whatever fandom you're in, and thank you for sharing this fic with us 3
Yumi Take chapter 27 . 1/13/2019
I just spent an entire afternoon reading this, instead of working on a paper. The premise was really interesting, and the way you handled it was just as much. Grounding the events in history through the author's note was a nice idea.
I also loved the way you integrated Alastor, Pomona, or Rubeus in there. And Slughorn and Albus' friendship is so nice - as is the fact that Albus and Abe are on talking terms again. Just, all in all, a really good read.
Thank you for writing, and know that if you ever decide to pick this up again I will be here !
baesharam chapter 13 . 12/26/2018
Oof that last line! Like why couldn’t dumbledore say something like that to tom when he first noticed signs in canon ugh albus why you like this
excessivelyperky chapter 25 . 10/29/2018
I really like the relationship you have between Tom and Alastor here. And maybe Tom will learn about feelings enough to find out what it's like to fall in love someday (it would certainly be progress over Riddle in canon).

As for Hitler, there were lots of rumors about the SS and the Spear of Destiny-and Grindelwald might think it a good idea to help them.
1,459 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »