Reviews for The Ferryman
Searching For Wonderland chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
So far I've just read the first chapter but I think this is really good! I actually love the little bit about Katie in this chapter - I really adored their friendship in the movie, so it's always nice to see in Fanfiction!

Anyways my favorite line for sure was this one: "That is what Maureen Epps did with herself. She gave Katie Harwood back the life that was stolen from her."

It's simple yet extremely effective! Great job! Now I'm on to go read the other chapters :-)
Not A FanFictioner Anymore chapter 7 . 11/1/2012
Hi,

I absolutely love this story. I'd seen Ghost Ship quite a while ago, but I suddenly decided I had to know what sort of Fanfiction there was about it. But reading your story made me want to watch the movie again, and after that I was able to appreciate how wonderfully you've characterized Jack and Epps. I notice you haven't updated in a really long time, but if you could, I would love to read more.

xx,
TQOM
SPEEDIE22 chapter 5 . 3/31/2011
Please update
Dreamweaver74 chapter 7 . 3/13/2011
This was a terrific story, and I'm sorry you left it. I hope one day your muse returns, as I'd love to see how Epps and Jack fall for eachother!
Desmond Web chapter 7 . 1/29/2011
These reviews are ridiculous. This is a great story m'dear. Don't change anything.
Scarlet Moon At Midnight chapter 2 . 5/27/2009
I just wanted to leave you a quick note saying that I'm loving this story . . .
Lollipop4598 chapter 7 . 3/29/2009
That said, I do agree that maybe you are hurrying a little as the story goes on. I am sure you want to get to the action, but its good to pace it. Theres no deadline!
Lollipop4598 chapter 1 . 3/29/2009
This is pretty good. Its got the right stuff. I see you are getting a lot of different opinions like -the priest should believe in the supernatural or Is tough to become a published writer , blah...And they are valid opinions, but they are just that. They are not really criticizing your work. Just saying what they might do better. Stay with your own thinking is my advice to you. The priest is a brilliant idea, and you are developing him just fine. It might be tough to be a published writer, but by no means impossible. The best writers are just like you described Epps, they write because they HAVE to. Not because they want to publish. So I know she would have written great books about Katie. Keep going. Its a neat story.
NewsBys chapter 7 . 3/25/2009
When I first started to read the story I was impressed by the pace and detail, but as the story went on, I became a little irritated by the pace. Seems too fast. You have a lot of action going on and it tends to speed things up. Maybe try using a scene/sequel structure. This works by first writing the action sequence and then following it by a period of time when the character can be alone to think about what happened. You do have this in some places, but you might need more. This will help slow things down and give your characters time to think and make mental decisions that will guide the reader into believing that love between these two characters is possible.

Another thing that makes the story read faster is the use of short choppy sentences. For example in Chapter 5 - "A knock on her door. Epps sighed. There was only one person it could be. She opened her door. “What do you want?” she asked irritably, then stopped." - You could slow down the scene by expanding on each of these sentences. Or better yet, using the scene/sequel structure you could put off the action a bit, eliminating the need for the short sentences. For example - At the end of chapter four Epps encounters Jack for the first time. (I would have liked to see a bit more banter between the two of them BTW. Banter is great for building attraction between characters. Think Han Solo and Princess Leah, good example of bantering.) Now in Chapter 5, you open with her in her cabin. She should be thinking about how the encounter with Jack has affected her, but you jump right into the action again.

The only other thing that bothers me is that if a priest does not believe in the supernatural, then he is not going to be much of a threat to the supernatural. It kinda goes with the territory. Demonic spirits would see a minister who does not believe in the supernatural to be somewhat like a tofu turkey. Looks like a turkey, but no meat, no substance. Believing in the supernatural is kind of the basis of faith. No faith, no threat to them. In fact a so-called minister like that might be even more fun to destroy.

I do like the idea of Epps finding her faith, and I love the idea of Jack changing his ways for her. I anticipate an epic battle between him and the priest. All good stuff. Please keep the story going.
WitchCameBack chapter 7 . 3/19/2009
Your story is cool. Hope you update.
Ariadne'sThread chapter 1 . 3/13/2009
As an aspiring author I feel honour bound to point out how incredibly, incredibly hard it is to become successful, especially in the case of children's books. Some people try all their life and never get published and even if they do, they often don't make enough to live on and have to have a second job.

It's also a bit short sighted to restrict Epps' job options to salvager, office worker or children's author. Personally I see her training to become an engineer or mechanic or even working in a bar.
MythStar Black Dragon chapter 7 . 3/4/2009
YEAH THAT WAS GOOD LOVED IT

MARIA
WhiteKnight60 chapter 5 . 2/24/2009
A most suspenseful narrative with tasteful Shakespearean undertones. The characters are interesting and I like how this story is going so far. I'm looking forward to reading more of this story...
MythStar Black Dragon chapter 5 . 11/3/2008
Loved it yeah go jack fight for your woman epps got to let things go yeah hard to but she is still alive

maria
MythStar Black Dragon chapter 4 . 10/9/2008
Maybe he can tell her his sob story about his life and how he ended up doing what he does, or showing her that being bad aint all bad

maria