Reviews for The Better Part
FlightFeathers chapter 1 . 12/4/2014
Wonderfully done. I relate to Lucy here in more ways than one. I have always found myself in her (and in Edmund), but here, I saw myself clearly, and you made me shed a tear, as I read how the world doesn't care about happy things, and, most of the times, prefers not to accept happiness; Lucy's reaction to that was like how I react to these cases. My mother says that the world is cruel, that it doesn't really care; it's the truth, really, but a truth I don't like, a truth I'd rather not accept, but know, nonetheless.

I loved the way you portrayed Edmund and Peter, because they were, well, acting like boys: they felt flustered by being exposed to too much feelings, felt rather helpless when dealing with them, but did deal with them, despite their discomfort.

The heart-to-heart Edmund and Lucy had was perfect. Edmund's words - or rather, what Lucy's optimism made him feel - felt so true, in the unsure way he tried to express them. Lucy's reaction was so energetic and innocent, I couldn't help but smile. And Edmund - by God, if I could just pinch his cheeks! He was so nervous when he said, "At least, that's... how it is for me."

I guess if I simply had said that it was the perfect character-sketch of Lucy (and her siblings, too, in a way), I would have said a lot in just those words. :)
GeekyGenius chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
A brilliantly written fic, it made me want to look at the world in a bright and happy way all the time like Lucy too
clever-robin chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
There are always those things that you read at the right time-the only time when they could hit you quite like they do-and then you sit there a bit in a wonderful stupor.

Thanks
Ali chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
I enjoyed this!
Crazy Koala chapter 1 . 4/26/2011
I was going through the award-winning stories from the lion call when I stumbled upon your story. The first half of the story was sort of depressing for a person looking for a happy story to read, but the good writing drew me in. LOVED the interaction between lucy and her brothers though... I couldn't keep a smile off my face when I'm reading it. I appreciate the small details that created very effective imagery in my mind when reading the story - eg. squeezing in the small cubicle in the tea room and the rain drop into Edmund's back making him squirm, and Lucy's misinterpretation of him being uncomfortable of the topic(or maybe not...). Brilliant! I'll definitely be checking out other stories you wrote!
rosebudmelissa chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Aw. Such a sweet and encouraging story in a sad way. Reading it gives me a whole jumble of emotions, in fact.
DuskUmbrella chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
Oh wow. Thank you for this fic. It truly touched me and reminded me of all the good things in my life. Who knew a short little story like this one could do that? Again, thank you for writing it :)
Phoenix Soar chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
This is a wonderful sibling-bonding piece!

You did justice to their characterisations and I absolutely loved the interaction between Lucy and Edmund. Well done :D
Lady Courage chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
Very well done! You captured the essence of each character, and told a heart-warming story. Thank you!
Vexminster chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
Lovely! I adore how charmingly awkward (not to mention realistic) the Pevensies are in this, how spot-on the dialogue is. Also, when I read it, the words take on the same tone and rhythm in my head as that of the original books, which is a delight. I don't know if you naturally write in a style similar to Lewis, or adopt it purposefully (perhaps a bit of both?), but it really enchances the enjoyment of the fic.
Jukebox Lovechild chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
Oh, lovely. Beautiful writing, quite Lewis-ish in tone, and such wonderful characterisation. The character of Lucy is so heart-warming, and you captured it beautifully here.
snowstargirl chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
Poor Lucy! I’m so glad she held on to her optimism.

A lot of the story made me sad, thinking of everyone (especially Susan) knocking Lucy for being happy. That seems to happen a lot to anyone who loves life or loves God, and it can be so hard to stay positive. I’m glad Lucy had people to stand by her. Her brothers were so wonderful. And I really liked Peter, Edmund, and Lucy’s interactions in the tearoom. It was easy to tell how much they all meant to each other. It was good of Edmund to talk to her even though it was difficult for him; to tell her, in effect, to keep going and not to give up, and that she wasn’t wrong just because other people didn’t like her outlook.

It’s interesting that Susan wrote to Edmund; it made sense. They were a lot alike. It must have hurt him to realize that neither of them was really interested in what the other has to say, but it probably also brought them both some sort of comfort, to know at least that they were thinking of each other.

Once again, your characterizations were wonderful; great story!
Shizuku Tsukishima749 chapter 1 . 8/7/2009
Aw! Poor Lu! I'm glad Susan WANTED to erase her words, though, at least. _

I LOVE Pete and Ed! You always know, when Su isn't there for Lucy anymore, that they will always be there for their youngest sister! U

I LOVE that Ed was the one to make her see things clearly, too; I just LOVE their brother/sister fics! U He was so awkwardly heartfelt that it was beautiful and incredibly charming at the same time! *U*

Rock on! This was an immensely sweet family fic! Brilliant work! U *U*

Ever-so sincerely signed,

Shizuku Tsukishima749 :D ;D :) ;)
viennacantabile chapter 1 . 3/26/2009
gah. i just love this. it's just wonderful. the characterization is so perfect. loved the dawn treader leadup. i will be taking a look at all your other narnia stories. :D
JustKeepOnTheGrass chapter 1 . 2/16/2009