Reviews for Push and Pull
Chyme for the Rhyme chapter 1 . 1/20
Oooh. The viciousness of the South's situation, the turbulence that infects Katara's childhood, lurking beneath the waves, alongside the very nature of being a waterbender herself, is nicely shaped here, with those little jolts of realism, with Hakoda having to prop up their cracking house with sheets of ice as Kya sees her daughter wearing an enigmatic smile and fix cracks no ordinary hands could - and it's unbearably sad as well. the way you draw attention to the fact that even so, with this extraordinary gift, Katara needs a 'hundred, two hundred passes' in order to do something a trained waterbender could probably manage in a single swipe.

And of course, passage by passage, we see more of the South erased and eroded, Kanna unable to help her grand-daughter learn anything worthwhile - all she can pass on are stories. And of course, before the events of the series all Katara has are words: 'She says, "Make me strong," and knows it must be because she is so weak.'

She'll learn to push - but only after she's been thrown out of this stagnant world of ice that can't give her a solid enough foundation to learn upon.

Lovely. I love stuff that explores the darker aspects of Katara's character so thoughtfully.
Blue Jeans chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
I don't usually read Avatar, even though I love the series, but this one was a very well done character study.
JackieStarSister chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
Wow. This is amazingly good! Your writing is beautiful. There are so many good lines. This is great. Keep writing!
Dance Elle Dance chapter 1 . 3/18/2011
Loved this. I think you did a great job capturing Katara's character. Keep up the awesome work!
Withered White Rose chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
nice.
SnowLion no Miko chapter 1 . 8/12/2010
I thought this was a really nice character piece. Very well written. Great work!
zabchan chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
intense! powerful. and a whole new level of depth to the character I hadn't given her credit for.
zimquist chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
This is a gorgeous, spot on look at Katara, her waterbending, and her upbringing in the Water Tribe. I love the bits about the South Pole falling into ruins, and Katara piecing together knowledge about her waterbending, and the atmosphere your words paint.
Geminia chapter 1 . 8/11/2008
An interesting look at their past, good job on the development and ending comparison.

Gemini