Reviews for Villain: The Epilogue
Totallycool1924 chapter 15 . 5/5
Omg that was so good! I LUV IT SO MUCH! BEST PPG FANFIC EVER! Please please please please please make more of Villain! I'm gonna die if you don't! Just a short few words! Wahhhh! It was the freaking best!
An old reviewer chapter 15 . 1/2
To Whom It May Concern:

-It is often said that "conflict is the soul of drama"; without some form of conflict to fuel things, there's no engine to drive the story and thus little reason to engage with it. However, we...would like to propose an amendment to this phrase which includes something important but sadly all-too-often forgotten:

-Meaningful conflict is the soul of drama.

-Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy occurs when a conflict exists that simply lacks any reason for the audience to care about how it is resolved. This is often because the setting is extremely but meaninglessly Darker and Edgier, and/or all sides are abhorrently, equally evil—or at least, far enough gone that any difference between the two is splitting hairs. As such, consumers of media affected by Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy tend to approach conflict between parties or factions with remarkable indifference; because no matter who wins, the universe will still suck. (And while it would be really nice to see them all lose, that likely isn't going to happen.) In other words, there is nothing at stake. While there is a conflict happening, for all that the audience is concerned there might as well not be because they likely have little reason to care about who wins or loses. (And even when there are clear-cut good guys, they can be so smug, priggish, hypocritical, unpleasant, or just plain annoying that it's hard to feel too sad if the bad guys defeat them, especially if the bad guys actually have a good reason for hating them.)

-This is the emotional result of Black and Black Morality. Because the conflict between the equal evils is essentially meaningless, there is no dramatic tension. Maybe one Eldritch Abomination eats you in a slightly less painful manner than the other one, but either way, you're still screwed. You can't support any factions or hold on to any ideals after this effect has set in. All you can do is sit agape as the writers apparently attempt to outdo themselves at making the setting even worse and more unpleasant and more nihilistic to the point where the media is a bland miserable monotone. This trope is not just about a Crapsack World, but about Evil Versus Evil and too much cynicism producing this effect. A sure sign of audience apathy setting in is if they start rooting for the Omnicidal Maniac—the setting is so bleak that no part of it is worth saving. When total oblivion looks like your best option, something is wrong. If the show is successful as a comedy it can avoid this trope even if it has Evil Versus Evil and the viewer doesn't really care too much for the characters, by having entertaining villains and being a fun experience. Horror is one of the genres that is most likely to suffer from this trope, because giving up and not caring sucks a lot out of the fear factor. Dystopian fiction, particularly of the post-apocalyptic variety, is another genre that's quite vulnerable to this trope for largely the same reasons.

-A variant is when Yank the Dog's Chain meets True Art Is Too Angsty; a story is simply too bleak, hopeless, and...well, angsty for the audience to really care what happens. Leaving aside how obviously and overly depressing this is to read, if the characters are doomed to failure no matter what they do, and it is too obvious that they are doomed and their every action to avert this is pointless and hopeless, then the ending is inevitable and can be seen a mile off—so why bother continuing on with the story? (Especially if Developing Doomed Characters is done badly and you can't care about who's in it.) This, of course, does not mean that all stories have to end happily—but most of the time, a good Tragedy works because the characters involved are given a chance to escape their Downer Ending but, for whatever reason, fail to do so; take away this chance, and usually what will happen is that the story just ends up being a lengthy description of unremittingly unpleasant things happening to someone. It must be said that despite the presence of this trope, it can still be a story worth telling if it has a deep character study and complex issues, just not one that the audience will care about the plot.

-When applying to individuals, this is one of the reasons why the "Wangst" trope happens. Often results in readers saying the Eight Deadly Words, or concluding that the plot boils down to a Wangst-fest.

-Status quo is usually the result of the trope when the audience knows that all and any changes that could have made a positive impact in the setting won't stick.-

I hate to say it, but the preceding trope describes this series to a T.

That is all. Give my regards to soulful-sin and Crisis Nova.
Guest chapter 15 . 6/9/2016
Wow this is cool
Hoppy854 chapter 15 . 4/13/2014
... what the heck?
r4inn3 chapter 15 . 6/15/2013
is that seriously the end?
oh my gosh no!
you gotta make a sequel or... or... or imma kill somebody!
i want more!
and why the hell did buttercup die?
wasn't she suppose to star in this whole thing?
but anyways, this was overall awesomeness!
and i love it
seriously you should make a sequel...
i love it!
Guest chapter 15 . 10/17/2012
I really loved how blossom died because she didnt want to give awaythe neckalace buttercup gave her that was really beautiful :D i also liked the little flashbacks blossom had great job!
The Magic Pocket Turtle chapter 15 . 9/22/2012
Ah, I can't believe it took me so long to finish this! I an honestly say that I really enjoyed it, and I did not expect the ending at all. It's a bit of a pity that Bubbles/Candy ends up being relegated to "sacraficial lamb" both times, but it's still a good story!
Salty With a Cherry on top chapter 10 . 4/7/2012
Oh my god I think I just fell in love with this story its so heart breaking emotional sad SUSPENCE! *Crys* Its so sad.. horror all the bad things mixed in one its just so.. so sad BRAVO BRAVO! Your a epic author be proud...
Demon King Piccolo chapter 15 . 3/29/2012
Very interesting story (both the original Villain and the Epilogue); I can see why your stories are so popular. Great story!
angelspawn chapter 15 . 9/17/2011
you made me want to cry with this story

i give you a standing ovation

a story with a neutral ending

not all the way happy and not all the way sad

Incy Little Spider chapter 15 . 7/31/2011
Just sayin' i quickly take back everything i said about candy. She turned out just as awesome as her sisters.

Really to mindblown to say anything worthwhile...just...you win a million internets. and just...wow. XD

(burning down the house was soo epic. david byrne would be proud. :D)

you talented person, you. :)
DmanZ chapter 15 . 7/29/2011
Been meaning to review this awhile ago. But better late than never.

I'm just gonna review the entire series here as I didn't review the Original Villain.

Man oh man. This series. Probably the best PPG fanfintion that I've ever read. I also have to admit, the stories were the first major reasons for me to join the site. I was hooked on them the first chapter and it's been quite the journey. So many words to describe them. Shocking, tragic, sad, emotional, amazing.

The original Villain was by far the best use of hero to villain I've ever seen. And all the plots and subplots to it made me itch with anxiety and excitement. and the ending was just perfect.

And of course the epilogue was the perfect way to backup that ending. I don't normally like OCs, but the new PPG was so dynamic here. I could really feel for them. And not to mention the Jojo here. So sad to see such an amazing character go like that. But it was the perfect fuel to further Cat. And the fact that Blossom died in a bank robbery to protect an item given to her by her (former) sister is such irony. A former hero dying in a common(?) robbery. So sad. But what's more sad is that in her death for that necklace, it showed that she either still cared in some way for her sister or she missed those old times.

I'm just gonna end it off here, I'm writing too much now. Great series. Great characters. Great plot. Great ending.
DefendAtlantis chapter 15 . 7/22/2011
Sorry for the late review, I haven't been on my computer lately, so I'm trying to review this now before the thunder comes.

Whoa, I did not see the ending coming. I did suspect Cat still being alive, since Jojo still lived at the end of the original, but I didn't expect Cherry to be the one to step in for her in the war. I thought that Blossom and Jojo would make up at one point but the fact that Cherry and Cat maintain what their parents didn't, was enough for me. There were so many ways this story could've gone, and it was interesting to see the final outcome.

What else is there to say except the ending was great, and I can't wait to see what you'll write next, as well as what else will be added to the community.
Groudon202 chapter 15 . 7/16/2011
Okay. That was a... startling ending.

I'm going to do something rather startling, even for me. I'm going to review the whole story now as though I was reviewing a book, or a movie. And I'll try to make this review as witty and as realistic as possible. Also, I'm not speaking to the author here, but to the readers of this review. Here goes:

REVIEW START

You never used to underestimate the quotient of Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup, the three little girls with superpowers who regularly save the world before bedtime on the Cartoon Network series 'The Powerpuff Girls,' but after Villain came along and changed everything by turning one to the dark side, killing off one and turning the last normal, you realized that they could go to all new lengths.

Now we have the follow-up to Villain, titled Villain: Epilogue (why they didn't call it Villains for the Alien & Predator reference is beyond me, but never mind). Following the creation of three new Puffs, Cherry (counterpart of Blossom), Candy (Bubbles) and Cat (Buttercup), the war staged between good and evil had been going on for 8 years since they were created, held off of their hometown by Jojo (formally Buttercup), as she's hoping she too can have one of them become a villain, just as she did for her semi-biological dad, Mojo Jojo (who returns briefly in a few widely creative ghost sequences that, despite the similarity to Star Wars, are in a world of their own).

Considering that, like most stories of it's type, it deviates majorly from the original work, it's does itself justice well. The writing style is snazzy, not quite as biased as Villain's POV tone, but still enough that you find yourself actually rooting for the bad guys, as opposed to sub-standard action movies (AKA Armageddon) where you simply find the bad guys the most interesting of the characters. The side villains don't make as many on-scene appearances as they should, and only one or two get speaking cameos, but I guess you can't miss what you never had!

Villain: E is enjoyable, if nothing less. The supposed death of a immortal demon just before Act III in Villain might have left this a bit standard, but when said demon returns (not appearing physically, only speaking through possessed people, I might add), it allows for some brief twists before it is simply used as a powerful plot device.

We all knew that Villain was going to end with the bad guys winning. As such, I expected the good guys to win at the end of this, or perhaps a draw, certainly not the bad guys winning again. In truth, the ending is neither, probably closest to the latter option, but so unique that I had to re-read it a few times to understand it fully. Perhaps it's trying to teach us an important lesson? Heaven knows most uncultured fanfiction readers need to look outside romance-driven fics, and this one is a good one to start, after the first Villain, of course.

As a story, Villain: Epilogue does it's bets with what it's got. In terms of analyzing it, it's equal with the first. While I gave the first a perfect score, I find myself giving this just a mark lower. Don't get me wrong, I did love it, just not as much as the first. Perhaps the lack of Mojo and Him for all but a few scenes? Or maybe it was too far off from the original canon?

It doesn't matter. Even if the simultaneously simple and complicated story doesn't do you any favors, Villain: E is worth reading simply for the fun. My only real quibble is: why so many female characters? Hardly any males at all, and a bit too many females are gay, but never mind. Also the opportunity for a monster tornado was totally missed. Am I the only one who finds Stratos, as well as Pyros, wildly cool?

Score: 9/10, A-

REVIEW END

Hope you liked all the wit in that! The ending was quite a twist one that, like Inception, it left me confused. Risky move on the type of ending, but it paid off!

I'm glad to see more people writing fics based off of this! Makes me want to write my own one about Mojo quicker.
TomboyIsAwesome chapter 15 . 7/15/2011
Wow, I mean, wow. I thought that Cat will give up of being a villain. Cat and Cherry should go to her funeral! It's sad that Blossom died and Butte-I mean, Jojo, didn't make up. But it made me happy that Blossom still love her sister and didn't give up that necklace. I was waiting like forever(even though it's only 3 days) for you to update this chapter. I even couldn't sleep at night! Great chapter, but not so happy ending. But its great that Cherry and Cat make up but they're evil. I LOVE this story. I was thinking if I can join your community...