Reviews for A Fragment of Substance
Thimble chapter 114 . 5/9
Thank you for writing an excellent story.
Kulyok chapter 112 . 3/23
Nooo! Not the final chapter!

Seriously, though, great to see you again - and thank you for the update! I understand a final battle in the Undercity is to follow, and that's where Baldur's Gate I part ends, but I'd still love to read more - partings, goodbyes, recovering, coming back to life(and hopefully not dying), whether Finn and Anna can live together, what happens to Xan, to Luedre, and so on.

Again, thank you for the lovely(and dark) chapter!

And, hey, how did they manage to poison Xan and the others, when Xan worked his mind magic with the servant?
Bifflechips chapter 112 . 3/23
It took me long enough to come back and catch up over the last few years, but I'm glad I set aside an afternoon to do so and get through the last 7 chapters I've missed.

I can't believe it's almost the end. I just realized this story is a contender for among the longest novels ever written so far, beating out Atlas Shrugged at 645k words or so. And what a ride it has been. I kind of would like to hear more about the work you've put into this epic once you finished it, and how far things were planned in advance, or were changed, and so.

But anyways, on to the story. The most impressive thing about this, in retrospect, is how you've streamlined much of the plot in different directions, while still accomplishing the main events that occurred in the game. It occurred to me as I was reading these last few chapters back in Baldur's Gate, the intensity of the approaching final battle was told in such a way to not only keep your readers guessing on how this oh-so-familiar plot would unfold, but still keep the plot moving at an intense pace these last few chapters to the conclusion. The need to sacrifice Anna being case-in-point. Your details for the world these characters inhabit have been an absolute joy to read. This has been a blast to read and I only wish I had the paper to print this out and read it properly, while smoking a pipe and pouring over a glass of wine!

I've also really loved how Luedre has developed, starting as an original character that was Xan's contact, and not feeling like her own party member. Maybe you can get Kulyok to mod her in, huh? :D

The Eldoth Kron cameo was nicely done too. Such a slimy bugger, I kind of hope he gets what he deserves. I love hating him.

Looking forward to a terrific finale!
Avenel chapter 112 . 3/23
This was a brilliant chapter. It picked up pace as it went through, setting the wheels in motion for its climax, and the detail that you put into Sarevok's preparations for his 'coronation' carried great imagery ie. the pool and the bathing, the razor, and his golden armour (that came to life with his eyes and his power). And then there is poor Anna. What a terrible thing, to be the sacrifice. Can't wait for the conclusion to this story :)
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 111 . 12/20/2014
Hi! It is lovely, as always, to see an update. Welcome back!

I enjoyed Tamoko's unexpected art and anthropology talents (and/or art and anthropology bluffing), and the way you've woven the temple of Gond into your story and detailed its technology developments. I also liked how you wove in Tamoko's priest background and how it impacted on her role with Sarevok.

Finn makes a good point that letting lots of people die as a result of letting Sarevok live is not exactly honourable! I liked Finn's practicality and humour in the face of danger. The latrines were also funy!

Eldoth's cameo was great. He's an *amusing* scumbag, and fun to read about!

Kivan making a blood vow was quite scary - trust him to bring the melodrama!

Matters are heading rapidly toward that underground temple to Bhaal ...
sunnysoul chapter 111 . 11/15/2014
Interesting to see Tamoko here, and her story of how she lost her powers after serving Sarevok. I like how she compares Sarevok to the tales of dragons.

I'm so amused by Brother Isambard. His steam-powered machine, his rambling, and how he's "harder to get rid of than burrs on a dog".

I like how Eldoth comes in to provide counsel to the group, since he's like the most unpopular NPC in the game ever. For a moment I thought he was going to be in the final party (I suppose he could be still!) XD

Again, I enjoy reading Finn's perspective because it really fleshes out that fiery temperament of his. Yet there's always this humorous side to him as well, which makes him so likeable.

Your story really is one I enjoy reading as much as picking up a fantasy novel. I love your rich details, every character's distinct voice, how well you create the atmosphere for each setting, the suspense as the battle with Sarevok draws near. Even Finn's bathroom trip is funny but educational in a way on fantasy/medieval settings. The most dramatic scene by far though is Kivan's speech and him using his own blood as warpaint!

Hope you'll update again before the end of the year!
Kulyok chapter 111 . 10/31/2014
So nice to have you back! The Undercellars quest line sounds intriguing! And, of course, looking forward to the reunion, though I think you might be in danger of having way too many people talking at once - add Finn, and it's a regular crowd! But a very nice one. And I really enjoyed "Duke Belt and the Naked Statue" scene! Too bad about Skie, though. :(
Guest chapter 110 . 10/8/2014
Keep up the good work! (Due to Lack of finding something else that specifies exactly how much I like this story)
Kulyok chapter 110 . 5/6/2014
I remember reading this chapter(and being very happy that it posted) on the very same day it appeared, can't believe I've forgotten to leave a review! Sorry about that.

Finn meets the Sembian ambassador, Finn tries to get into the palace, Finn finally sees Tamoko(or, rather, she finds him), and the party is ready to join him in Baldur's Gate - this does have a sense of things coming to an end, doesn't it.

The ox scene was monumental. I also loved the "noble hero and the king" comparison. And Finn's predicament is very scary. Indeed... you can be there for him, love him, but you never know when he becomes the darkness again. (I recall this scene with him trying to throttle Anna, and that's really unsettling. Though I do feel for him, of course).

Xan's scene made me want to re-read it, naturally, which I did, and enjoyed it very much, despite(or maybe because of) all the sadness. The moonblade's detail was great. And Luerdre feels like an integral part of the party now, with helping Finn escape and involving herself in this business.

In short? Three cheers for Beltane, for Chapter 110 feels like another great gift. Thank you so much! And looking forward to 111, because that's the thing with all good stories - you simply can't get enough and always want more.
Avenel chapter 110 . 5/6/2014
I'm glad to see another chapter posted, and to see the development of the story in this piece. Are things beginning to channel together towards the end? (a long journey, I know). I'm eager to see what happens with Finn and (I'm assuming) Tamoko, and the rest of the party, and how they get into the ballroom.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 110 . 5/1/2014
Love the plot developments here! All the little details you added to this part of the plot were, as always, wonderful - the beggar in the streets, the manure cart, the Iron Throne's business. I liked how the pacing was fast in this chapter, and how all the characters are continuing to move on their adventure. :) This chapter was a great treat!
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 109 . 2/12/2014
It's wonderful to see another chapter of this, as always. :D I like the changes in the plot. Finn's difficulties with his nature are fascinating and engaging as he faces his troubles with the Flaming Fist. Anna-hallucinations in his head to go along with Bhaal-hallucinations are very interesting! I also enjoyed the depth that the minor characters had here, especially the guards.

It takes a lot of gall for Finn to call Suzy tarnished brass after accidentally impregnating her and sheltering with her from a murder rap! I hope he didn't accidentally kill anyone else.

Luedre's actions in this chapter were also most intriguing!
sunnysoul chapter 109 . 2/11/2014
Ohmygosh I've been reading your story for YEARS and was absolutely gutted when you stopped updating.

So glad you're back!

I really enjoyed Anna's POV and am sad that this has changed, but I'm also kinda excited that we'll now know Finn's perspective moving forward.

In this chapter I liked the thoughts on Finn's friendship with Kivan. I love the way Kivan is explored in your story. And Xan. Especially Xan. Lord Xan and Luedre. Did I mention Xan?
Kulyok chapter 109 . 2/10/2014
Yay! It happened! :) So good to see you again, I hope you are well! I'll be the first to admit that Finn's and Anna's tortured walkabouts at Candlekeep can be a pain to emphasize with at times(cold, suffering, and all that Bhaal jazz sure make you miss old good dinners at Beregost! :)), but I'm so glad to read more anyway! And the Chapter 7 transition is in sight! And Finn's viewpoint! I rather felt "Ha, yes, he deserves it!" with the forced-feeding scene and Suzy's scene(Finn was, alas, rather a realistic petulant boy there). Ah, Finn, you've made rather a mess of things, haven't you? But Luedre-Finn scene was very powerful, very much to my liking, and, yes, I liked it every time Xan's name was dropped, guilty as charged. I could sympathize with both of them, and now I'm rather interested to see what the others will do. (Kivan's small exposition rocked - yes, he's solid, dependable and a friend, but at times you forget how harsh and cold he can be with killing). And my special thanks for such a long update!
Thimble chapter 109 . 2/10/2014