Reviews for A Fragment of Substance
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 111 . 12/20/2014
Hi! It is lovely, as always, to see an update. Welcome back!

I enjoyed Tamoko's unexpected art and anthropology talents (and/or art and anthropology bluffing), and the way you've woven the temple of Gond into your story and detailed its technology developments. I also liked how you wove in Tamoko's priest background and how it impacted on her role with Sarevok.

Finn makes a good point that letting lots of people die as a result of letting Sarevok live is not exactly honourable! I liked Finn's practicality and humour in the face of danger. The latrines were also funy!

Eldoth's cameo was great. He's an *amusing* scumbag, and fun to read about!

Kivan making a blood vow was quite scary - trust him to bring the melodrama!

Matters are heading rapidly toward that underground temple to Bhaal ...
sunnysoul chapter 111 . 11/15/2014
Interesting to see Tamoko here, and her story of how she lost her powers after serving Sarevok. I like how she compares Sarevok to the tales of dragons.

I'm so amused by Brother Isambard. His steam-powered machine, his rambling, and how he's "harder to get rid of than burrs on a dog".

I like how Eldoth comes in to provide counsel to the group, since he's like the most unpopular NPC in the game ever. For a moment I thought he was going to be in the final party (I suppose he could be still!) XD

Again, I enjoy reading Finn's perspective because it really fleshes out that fiery temperament of his. Yet there's always this humorous side to him as well, which makes him so likeable.

Your story really is one I enjoy reading as much as picking up a fantasy novel. I love your rich details, every character's distinct voice, how well you create the atmosphere for each setting, the suspense as the battle with Sarevok draws near. Even Finn's bathroom trip is funny but educational in a way on fantasy/medieval settings. The most dramatic scene by far though is Kivan's speech and him using his own blood as warpaint!

Hope you'll update again before the end of the year!
Kulyok chapter 111 . 10/31/2014
So nice to have you back! The Undercellars quest line sounds intriguing! And, of course, looking forward to the reunion, though I think you might be in danger of having way too many people talking at once - add Finn, and it's a regular crowd! But a very nice one. And I really enjoyed "Duke Belt and the Naked Statue" scene! Too bad about Skie, though. :(
Guest chapter 110 . 10/8/2014
Keep up the good work! (Due to Lack of finding something else that specifies exactly how much I like this story)
Kulyok chapter 110 . 5/6/2014
I remember reading this chapter(and being very happy that it posted) on the very same day it appeared, can't believe I've forgotten to leave a review! Sorry about that.

Finn meets the Sembian ambassador, Finn tries to get into the palace, Finn finally sees Tamoko(or, rather, she finds him), and the party is ready to join him in Baldur's Gate - this does have a sense of things coming to an end, doesn't it.

The ox scene was monumental. I also loved the "noble hero and the king" comparison. And Finn's predicament is very scary. Indeed... you can be there for him, love him, but you never know when he becomes the darkness again. (I recall this scene with him trying to throttle Anna, and that's really unsettling. Though I do feel for him, of course).

Xan's scene made me want to re-read it, naturally, which I did, and enjoyed it very much, despite(or maybe because of) all the sadness. The moonblade's detail was great. And Luerdre feels like an integral part of the party now, with helping Finn escape and involving herself in this business.

In short? Three cheers for Beltane, for Chapter 110 feels like another great gift. Thank you so much! And looking forward to 111, because that's the thing with all good stories - you simply can't get enough and always want more.
Avenel chapter 110 . 5/6/2014
I'm glad to see another chapter posted, and to see the development of the story in this piece. Are things beginning to channel together towards the end? (a long journey, I know). I'm eager to see what happens with Finn and (I'm assuming) Tamoko, and the rest of the party, and how they get into the ballroom.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 110 . 5/1/2014
Love the plot developments here! All the little details you added to this part of the plot were, as always, wonderful - the beggar in the streets, the manure cart, the Iron Throne's business. I liked how the pacing was fast in this chapter, and how all the characters are continuing to move on their adventure. :) This chapter was a great treat!
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 109 . 2/12/2014
It's wonderful to see another chapter of this, as always. :D I like the changes in the plot. Finn's difficulties with his nature are fascinating and engaging as he faces his troubles with the Flaming Fist. Anna-hallucinations in his head to go along with Bhaal-hallucinations are very interesting! I also enjoyed the depth that the minor characters had here, especially the guards.

It takes a lot of gall for Finn to call Suzy tarnished brass after accidentally impregnating her and sheltering with her from a murder rap! I hope he didn't accidentally kill anyone else.

Luedre's actions in this chapter were also most intriguing!
sunnysoul chapter 109 . 2/11/2014
Ohmygosh I've been reading your story for YEARS and was absolutely gutted when you stopped updating.

So glad you're back!

I really enjoyed Anna's POV and am sad that this has changed, but I'm also kinda excited that we'll now know Finn's perspective moving forward.

In this chapter I liked the thoughts on Finn's friendship with Kivan. I love the way Kivan is explored in your story. And Xan. Especially Xan. Lord Xan and Luedre. Did I mention Xan?
Kulyok chapter 109 . 2/10/2014
Yay! It happened! :) So good to see you again, I hope you are well! I'll be the first to admit that Finn's and Anna's tortured walkabouts at Candlekeep can be a pain to emphasize with at times(cold, suffering, and all that Bhaal jazz sure make you miss old good dinners at Beregost! :)), but I'm so glad to read more anyway! And the Chapter 7 transition is in sight! And Finn's viewpoint! I rather felt "Ha, yes, he deserves it!" with the forced-feeding scene and Suzy's scene(Finn was, alas, rather a realistic petulant boy there). Ah, Finn, you've made rather a mess of things, haven't you? But Luedre-Finn scene was very powerful, very much to my liking, and, yes, I liked it every time Xan's name was dropped, guilty as charged. I could sympathize with both of them, and now I'm rather interested to see what the others will do. (Kivan's small exposition rocked - yes, he's solid, dependable and a friend, but at times you forget how harsh and cold he can be with killing). And my special thanks for such a long update!
Thimble chapter 109 . 2/10/2014
Good chapter!
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 108 . 7/18/2013
Goodness, more scary doppelgangers being scary; that scene with not-Kivan and Anna was chilling. But Tethtoril appearing at the end makes things start to sort themselves out. I liked that Finn's ancestry is now out in the open! It feels like the plot's starting to really move forward. I also liked reading about Anna's bravery in protecting Luedre. The consequences from Finn's relationship with the Flaming Fist and his desertion also add a very interesting twist to your story.

As always, excellent to read more of this!
Thimble chapter 108 . 7/17/2013
Gosh - that was an exciting chapter.

Yay for Tethtoril!
Kulyok chapter 108 . 7/17/2013
Wow, intrigue! I immediately went to google this Stone of Silence. Couldn't find it in Forgotten Realms, but I'm guessing it's something interesting.

I took it that false Kivanna was the last doppelganger in the Keep, right? (And Kivanna's body dissolved, so it couldn't be shown to the guards?) I wonder why Tethoril wanted to get Finn out of the keep as soon as possible, but I guess we'll find out!

And Chapter 7 will begin in full force now that everyone's out of Candlekeep. Well, except for Finn, who's going to get out in chains. These blackouts are seriously BAD. Almost killing Anna, Luerdre, and maybe killed those three unnamed people. Reminded me an old anecdote paraphrased from Chekov's "Three Sisters": "Have you heard?" - "What?" - "Baron and Solyony have just exchanged shotsl" - "Oh my God, what happened?" - "Ah, killed two passers-by." - "Thank God, everyone's alive!"

Thank you for the chapter. Enjoyed! Anna's confrontation with Kivanna and protecting Luerdre was powerful, and I liked Xan's little details, like bleeding nose or his shivering frame when he retreated from the blade.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 107 . 6/26/2013
Great to see this back! I enjoyed this version of the escape from Candlekeep - the characters using their ingenuity to think up various plans for escape. Imoen's resourcefulness was good! I also liked the way you ended that chapter, leaving it open whether Finn or the doppelgangers or Sarevok or someone else entirely was the killer.

Suzy may just be right about Finn - especially with his Bhaalspawn issues to contend with. I am looking forward to reading what's coming next!