Reviews for A Guide To Original Characters
Wild Birdie chapter 1 . 2/18
Holy shit this amazing! Can I share this my facebook?
I-am-a-teddy-bear chapter 1 . 1/18
I like your guide, but there is one thing I'd like to specify. Non-binary people exist. These are people who don't fit as either male or female, gender identity wise, and use they/them pronouns. No one has said this, so I felt that I had to point it out. Imagine how a story with a non-binary character could go. Non- binary doesn't equal mary sue, so long as you do it right.
Pokemonlover1583 chapter 1 . 12/8/2015
I love your guide! I was looking for a way to draw a oc when I found this and I'm glad I found it! Thank you for making it!
Hexitall chapter 1 . 10/11/2015
Wow reallyy good info I may start over
Cyannel chapter 1 . 7/29/2015
Plot bunnies have recently been slapping me in the face and you have no idea how much this helps. I'm a bit new to this whole writing thing, and I would like to make my characters likable. This was incredible. Thank you for writing this!
fanficchica123 chapter 1 . 7/21/2015
You- what- I- HOLY HEPHAESTUS! Where the ever loving fuck have you been in my life? This is bloody amazing! Thank you for writing this!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/4/2015
Percy Jackson himself is a Gary Stu. Come on he is the favorite son. The Gods had so many illegitimate kids so what makes Percy so special?
Guest chapter 1 . 6/25/2015
I'm a member of this website but i just read, all my work is on this thing called wattpad, But this...this speech you made is amazing. It's really inspirational and you just blew my heart away
S.A chapter 1 . 4/13/2015
This was SUPER helpful! Thank you SO much!
icerebel chapter 1 . 3/17/2015
PREACH! I loved your lecture and let's be real, most of authors on FF need to read this .. (Indluding and especially me). :P
peacefulinvasion chapter 1 . 3/15/2015
Rating of 1/10 Anybody that reads this should probably move on to another guid, reread the books, or visit the wiki.

Now then first how bout I give you a guide on how to properly do a Fan character guide. You must idk...PROVIDE INFERMATION ABOUT THE ACTUAL SERIES! There is no information about the actual Percy Jackson series. What are the houses like? What about things that happened in the Percy Jackson timeline. How about some REAL information about the world and how things are set up? Things people need to consider. Details some readers might have missed. And no mention of "oh if you make an oc that doesn't follow my standards your uncreative." If your going to make a rant LABEL IT AS A RANT! Guide means something with USEFUL information.

First of all I'm going to be honest. Fan ocs are not MEANT to be perfect. They are precursors. You cannot even write a novel until you advance to stand alone characters. YES that's the truth. So let them make their marry sues eventually they'll find they hate the characters and toss them aside keeping them only as learning experience. Its a phase. Guess what I used to be a MAJOR soother. I look back at my marry sues and I point and laugh and learn not to make that again.

Also you got some stuff wrong. I can bet all my money you've ONLY watched the movie since in the book Percy Jackson is anything but an asshole. Yah I'll admit he's sarcastic. He can be a jerk at times. But if thats the formula for an asshole well hate to burst your bubbles but I doubt anybody on this planet isn't an asshole. An asshole maintains the jerk status ALL the time not just some times. Also why can't a child of the goddess of LOVE AND BEAUTY be beautiful? Also I guess Aphrodite is a marry sue based on how Percy described her in the books that you probably didn't read.

Also nothing is wrong with self inserts. People deem it a "red flag" I'm going to say this about it. Its an invisible red flag. If you cannot tell its a self insert without going onto the author's page and researching the author themselves, ITS PERFECTLY FINE and is not disrespectful.

Perhaps instead of whine bitching and moaning about people making ocs you don't like provide ACTUAL information upon the series...assuming you've actually read the books which by the way I highly doubt.

All this guide is going to do is stop people from being creative and adding their own touch to their ocs. And no its not disrespectful to the author unless you know they beg for you not to do self inserts. Its not going to help make a proper Percy Jackson oc. You know what makes good ocs? Information about the universe they live in.

You mentioned NOTHING about the following.
Greek and Roman mythology. THE VERY BACKBONE of the Percy Jackson Series.
How the cabins work.
The skills that cabins tend to have (aphrodite has beauty, apollo healing archery sometimes muisic)
How sorting works.
The time difference.
Gods in general. Their personalities
how the god's attitudes reflect attitudes on demigods.
The common creatures such as saytrs
Fatal Flaws (oh this one was a VERY big part of the series)
And little tips for all the groups.

Nope this is just a marry sue garry stue self insert boo hoo rant.
Warmonger chapter 1 . 11/22/2014
I thought self-inserts were people who already knew the plot, such as someone who has read PJO and is launched into the universe of PJO, and must live as a immortal or some shit like that.
Lily Maid chapter 1 . 11/22/2014
HetaliaLover; I personally would think that your charater is a MS. I would just find her a little too *special*. However, A daughter of a magician mistaken for a daughter of Hecate (goddess of magic) or Apollo and taken to Chb would be interesting (I would read that story) or visa versa (haughter of Hecate or Apollo mistaken for a magician).
Another good way to recognise a Ms is if the universe twists around them, so suddenly their at the centre of said universe.
But lets face it; the biggest Mary Sue in Pjo is TOTALLY Percy Jackson. Just think about it.

Lily Maid Of London
Guest chapter 1 . 11/3/2014
Such a great guide XD
amporasexuaI chapter 1 . 7/9/2014
Would an Egyptian-Greek OC, daughter of an Egyptian woman and Apollo, believes in both Greek and Egyptian myths, be a Mary-Sue? uvu Her mother came from Egypt, to America, and they live in NY, the OC, Dalila, could be protected in Camp-Half-Blood?