Reviews for Magic of the Heart
Joanie P chapter 3 . 4/16
And a lovely ending to go with the promising beginning! Thank you for the postscript explaining the names. Most interesting! A beautiful tale that I will definitely reread.
Freawaru chapter 3 . 3/18/2010
Clearly I have missed much by being away from ff, and especially the Prydain section, for so long. This was really and truly amazing. So insightful and lovely. The characters are amazing. I love how you have given Telyn and Iestyn so much of the sensitivity that I think exists in Eilonwy and Taran. I agree with CW and the others about how brilliantly you've captured the wisdom and tone of Alexander's work.
0WannabeWriter0 chapter 3 . 9/14/2009

This is the first story of yours that I read. And I love it. I have so much fun reading and rereading Magic of the Heart. I love how you write in wisdom into a story. That makes the story very worthwhile to read because readers learn important lessons and become better people. I really like your characters, especially Telyn, of course because this is her story. I think you sound like a real storyteller. And Magic of the Heart could very well be written by Lloyd Alexander. That is amazing! When I read your story, I can really picture the scene in my head. And I love that. I think people can relate with your story topic, about finding the magic in our world. It's sad that so many people never realize how beautiful our world is or how awesome people can be. I have to admit that I am often one of those sad people. But your story has given me joy. And your story has shared with me magic that can be found if we are willing to look.
PrydainViolet chapter 3 . 9/24/2008
This is truly adorable without being trite. I always find the end of the High King extremely sad - for many reasons obviously - but especially for the loss of magic. You capture that poignancy very well, and also make great use of the Adaon-ish reminder that beauty is always around if we choose to see it. Lovely!
CompanionWanderer chapter 3 . 8/23/2008
What a charming denouement! And I completely sympathize with your motivations. I'm always wondering how to instill an appreciation for the little things (and big things) in life into my child, what with our video-game instant cheap entertainment culture making that difficult.

Love the names, too! Really beautiful. And I like the thought of another Taliesin up-and-coming.
CompanionWanderer chapter 2 . 8/23/2008
Oh, I should have put this on my alerts. I've missed it for days!

I echo adaon45 here; you really DO seem to channel Alexander, sharing his gift for speaking worlds in just a few well-chosen words. I myself find it extremely difficult to write with such profound brevity, or any brevity at all, which is probably one of the reasons I identify with Eilonwy. :)

I love the mention of Fflewddur's harp string. Any little throwback to the Chronicles we know and love gives me the warm fuzzies, and it's good to know this item is kept in the Treasury like the sacred relic it is.

I love how you bring out the "ordinary" wonders all around, letting us see them through Telyn's eyes. *sigh* On days when the laundry is piling up, the dishes sitting unwashed, and Terran is eating his cheerios off the floor, I wish I had a pair of those spectacles, myself.
adaon45 chapter 2 . 8/22/2008
Dear me, forgive me for not properly noticing that this story already was complete-I was so excited when I first spotted it that I just gobbled down chapter 1 and only later saw there were two more wonderful chapters!

Honestly, are you channeling Lloyd Alexander? This is so in keeping with his tone, his prose, his message-it's amazing!

I will try to write a detailed review of ch. 3 as soon as I can (which might, alas, be a little while, but it will be forthcoming).
Digiboy-Stew chapter 3 . 8/20/2008
Lovely story showing the magic that accompanies everyday living. This is right up Lloyd Alexander's literary alley, and very much in line with the lesson he conveyed in his stories. I loved it.
CompanionWanderer chapter 1 . 8/16/2008
Oh, something new from you! I'm so excited!

I know what you mean about writing something "after the series". I'm much too intimidated about the limitless range of possibilities and the fact that I'd have to come up with almost all the characters since the supporting cast is all gone. And I just don't want to deal with all the political stress that must tie in to Taran's life as king; I'd be fighting all the time between my desire to see him happy-ever-after and the reality of how difficult life would have been.

The way you've jumped ahead here eases a little of that - presumably after enough years have passed for the country to achieve some stability. And sticking to the intimacy of the life of one of the children is a good way to keep the scope from becoming overwhelming.

Telyn sounds adorable and quite like her mother - I see where you've lent her the same exuberance. I think it's a very natural desire she's expressing - I would have felt the same way. Too early really to see where you intend to go with this, but if the spectacles are a sort of "magic feather", I'm delighted at the possibilities. The mental image of her looking like an owl was very amusing.

I'll be watching to see where this goes!
adaon45 chapter 1 . 8/16/2008
Oh my goodness-this is so wonderful. I'm thrilled you'll try to continue it.

It is almost eerie the way your voice echoes the exact timbre of Lloyd Alexander's. The bit about the old bard flinging things including half-eaten bread loaves out of his trunk-and the princess looking like a "wise old owl"-the whole tone of the piece-was uncannily "Alexandrian," if I may say so. I truly might have thought I was reading something he'd written. And I so loved the idea of the princess mourning the end of magic. That's something I've always had trouble with, too-that magic should pass from Prydain, although how could it entirely do so when there must have been some descendents of enchanters mixed in with the general population? They can't all have gotten on those boats . . .

Oh, do give us more please. Telyn and Dewin are both marvelous characters. And we might get to see more of Telyn's parents, no?