Reviews for The Oil of Lanius
sayYesToGary chapter 17 . 9/13/2015
Thank you so much for writing this! What a ride! I enjoyed it all the way through! Thank you, thank you! Angst but with that sweet ending that spreads over your wrenched soul like a chocolate icing on a cake ;) kisses! 3
divvycrip chapter 10 . 3/17/2015
I am really enjoying this story. The plot is good. The characterisation is great but the spelling geek in me keeps shouting "it's a bloody CHALICE". Please spellcheck. Some great works cannot be read by those of us afflicted by this geekness
draupadi chapter 17 . 1/6/2014
this is good. Hope you will write more of this. I almost cryed. :)))
UnguidedLight chapter 17 . 4/14/2013
Awesome :P
ivo1617 chapter 17 . 1/11/2012
Well this was the one possibility that you have not covered. Gabrielle feeling guilty about putting Xena in a bad situation. Good thing that Xena had the element of surprise since she knew Gabrielle was pregnant. This seems to have been the problem since now Gabrielle is nicer to people. It seems that Gabrielle had the exact same fears as Xena did - being left alone.

This was a very interesting story. You did a good job with everything - the problems between Xena and Gabrielle, the other characters (not Xena or Gabrielle), the bad guys, and the action.
ivo1617 chapter 16 . 1/11/2012
Gabrielle seems to have a good reason for being distant. I am using the word seems since Xena would have to talk to her in order to find out what exactly is bothering Gabrielle. Though chances are that Gabrielle has even more on her mind than Xena does. If she is pregnant, Gabrielle will have an even harder time dealing with being raped. But since she loves children, I have a hard time seeing her give up her child in any way. She probably has the same doubts about the relationship she is in as Xena does, but for different reasons.

Xena is also in a tough situation. With Gabrielle being so distant, she is thinking about leaving in the hope that Gabrielle will be better off. However, that could make things even worse for Gabrielle if she thinks that Xena does not want to be with her. If this or anything else bad happens to Gabrielle, she might try to hurt herself for real.
ivo1617 chapter 15 . 1/11/2012
It seems that Gabrielle has simply snapped. Despite her bravery from previous chapters, she has had too much to deal with and she is depressed. It's clear that she is still dealing with being raped if she does not like people touching her. Hopefully she is not upset specifically at Xena since she is withdrawn from everyone. Xena should help Gabby find a hobby or give her something to do. Hopefully Gabby has not gone somewhere at the end of the chapter where she will be in trouble.

I still think that Hercules, Iolaus, and Joxer should have stayed a bit longer. I have no idea if it would have helped, but it would have been nice for Gabby to have some people around who are just friends and she does not have a more complicated relationship with. (Xena is her partner and the Amazons are her subjects.)
ivo1617 chapter 14 . 1/11/2012
Good descriptions of Gabby's ups and downs. She is able to walk again, but there is no telling for how long she is going to feel dirty. And on top of that, if she keeps having pains in her hand, she would not be able to use her staff as it is a two-handed weapon.

Too bad that Hercules, Iolaus, and Joxer are leaving. I am going to miss them. Xena and Gabby could use three extra friends during this time. Especially Xena since she is not that popular with that Amazons. Besides Gabby, who else does she have to comfort her?
ivo1617 chapter 13 . 1/11/2012
I wonder if I should be surprised at Gabby showing at Xena's trial. Sure she is injured, but did Gabby ever stay where people told her when there was action somewhere else? Heck, in the last episode Xena had to lie to her to keep her away from the battle. Either way it's nice to see Gabby exercise some of her authority and show that her title of queen is not just ceremonial. But still she would have to do some governing since there are some divisions within her tribe.
ivo1617 chapter 12 . 1/11/2012
Ephiny is being rather difficult. Everyone knows what happened and Xena basically has to go to trial? Though it's a little hard to take this council seriously given that the whole village could not stop Xena in Bitter Suite. Besides, what is Gabrielle going to say about all this? She is trying to calm Xena down despite her own pains and yet Xena still has to go through all this. Either way, I wonder how many workouts would Xena tolerate before she gets upset.

At least Iolaus is getting better. And as always he has an eye on the ladies.
ivo1617 chapter 11 . 1/11/2012
That was a nice, long conversation between Xena and Gabby. Gabby is a real trooper as she is still trying to calm Xena down despite all of her injuries. This seems far from over since Gabby would have to deal with her own issues eventually.
ivo1617 chapter 10 . 1/11/2012
Gabby is so adorable. The moment she wakes up she is trying to make sure that Xena is not blaming herself for what happened. With her compassion towards others, Gabrielle has always reminded me of Hercules. (Who had a similar reaction to things when Xena woke up.) All of the sudden it's Xena who seems to be the one who will have a harder time recovering from this.

Ephiny and company really ought to back off of Xena since they could end up being the ones Gabrielle is upset with if they don't. It's clear that Gabrielle would rather be Xena's sidekick than an Amazon queen so it's obvious where her loyalties lie.
ivo1617 chapter 9 . 1/10/2012
That was a lot of tough talk from Ephiny and some of the other Amazons. I doubt they would have been able to back it up given how Xena rode into their village and dragged Gabrielle off. It was nice of Hercules to save Protis and any other Amazons Xena might have ended up hurting. After all there is only one person who can physically stop Xena.

Joxer has been pretty useful so far. We all know how much he cares about Gabrielle so he would have been as shaken as anyone. But still he managed to help out a lot.

The description of Xena's reaction was fairly detailed. I wonder what Xena's thought are about her and Gabrielle's future after all this.

Iolaus being mad at Xena was an interesting way to end the chapter since it sets up more anticipation to Gabrielle's reaction when she wakes up. If Iolaus is mad at Xena, Maybe Gabrielle will be too.
ivo1617 chapter 8 . 1/10/2012
With Xena catching all those darts, I thought that we were about to have the fight of the millennium all over again. Hercules vs. Xena, the rematch! But still it was well executed plan with no one getting hurt. However, there was no mention of Claudine and Lindos. Were they in the camp or were they still away since they were talking to Ares?

You did a good job describing all the injuries that Gabrielle and Iolaus had and the effects those injuries had on the people around them.

Why do I get the feeling that Hercules will need to save Xena's life in the near future?
ivo1617 chapter 7 . 1/10/2012
Usually when I review I say that a certain chapter was tough for a certain character, but saying this about Gabrielle would be an understatement. Same thing probably applies for Iolaus too. But not talking is exactly what Gabby and Iolaus would do. In this case not talking probably saved their lives since they would be killed if Xena and company thought that they had all the information. At least Gabby and Iolaus managed to accomplish something significant in destroying the chalice since no more people would be consumed by the darkness.

Finally someone has had enough sense to do it! Ares is tied up so that he is not going to cause any more trouble. Though I still hope that Hercules and Ares would get to talk about their issues, with their fists. It will be interesting how Herc will react to all this. His niceness tends to go out the window when someone he cares for has been hurt.