Reviews for Urban
Carottal chapter 3 . 1/1/2014
For what this review matters, interesting piece, interesting ideas, and smooth style. My favourite part was Mello's. The comparison etween the subway and hell was awesome and I found it interesting to think about the underground network of a city as its soul. There's something about being kind of equals in the subway, and feeling social differences in it too. You can't feel them when they're not all there. So the question is... is hell the place where every kind of person meet?

In this one, the relation between Matt's view of the city and Earth was less clear. Did you mean the helplessness of humans, torn between heaven and hell? Like the victims of 9/11 falling from the sky to be buried under the ground? Or the state between heaven and hell? A place where everything is possible. Chaos, as you said once in this chapter? Anyway, it's interesting that when heaven and hell are places that you're supposed to reach once you're dead, the one piece that talked about death was the one on earth. Interesting but it makes sense: you only die once as they say. That one time happen when you're alive, on Earth.

So if you ever come upon this review: Thank you for making me think, and for the good one shots.
Arysthae chapter 3 . 12/22/2012
This is like reading poetry, it really is. It all fits so perfectly. I love Near's section the best, because of the little whimsical hope of superheroes. Knowing that he's eighteen in the story doesn't stop me from believing that he would still think about superheroes.

Mello's section is gritty, raw, and slightly humourous. I love the little references to the Underground, and how he is very determined to leave Britain behind (Mello, it's impossible, don't try, I know all about that!) and the imagery again, rings true.

Matt's section is great. Honestly, the 9/11 reference was fine, it fitted. The tarot card of the Tower made me pause a second because, I knew at the end of the series, we see Near with chocolate, that was definitely a tribute to Mello. This made me think, 'but what if the tarot cards at the end of the series was a reference to Matt...' anyway, I love the ideas expressed in Matt's chapter. In all of them, really. Well done!
Killingmemory chapter 3 . 9/2/2009
I think I just fell in love with you.

Loved all three of these. Your writing is flawless.
I Bought Earrings on Sale chapter 3 . 4/30/2009
I absolutely adore the city. From El Barrio to Jackson Heights, I just can't resist the rock solid Cuban and Dominican and Argentinian and Brazilian and Ecuadorian, etc neighborhoods.

Mello's was my particular favorite. In the true rotten depths of the subways, you sense the true character of what the city really is, because you see everyone from wealthy business men, to homeless beggars, to large families, wannabe rappers. You portrayed Mello as really understanding towards the commercial side and the real side, and that's what Mello is, of real and raw emotion.
ChocoCoatedLemons chapter 3 . 2/3/2009
Wow- the Mello and Matt ones were particularly good. Heh- I'm cosplaying L and Mello soon -smirk-
keem chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
Ha. "Near-isms I like that xD

this... wow, this is just *really* good. you have excellent word choice here (wow, what a lame comment to make... forgive me.) also, your characterization of near is lovely. and the hoope part was pretty entertaining. anomaly - creature - boy - DETECTIVE. xD hahaha very nice.

:slinks off to read chapter 2:
InsaneChickOfWriting chapter 3 . 8/23/2008
ok, that was just beautiful. Cuz when you get right down to it, it's true. I loved every aspect of the three: Near looks like he's five, he should hold onto to something, he seems to have grown up a little too fast, but he prevailed, using every 'right' means to get there; Mello, cuz he's like a fallen angel, he needed to be first, and would get there anyway he knew how, even if it meant it was wrong; and Matt, he just was there(*though I think he shoulda been in there more! He was a Wammy boy for christ's sake!) and he's just there to support but he still has his views and all! So yeah. Kudos!
hyper dragonfyre chapter 3 . 8/21/2008
muah ha ha! i'm back!

so now i can beta shite, lol. (yes, i meant to spell it like that, shush.)

yep.

you most definately cannot write anything cute. nope. _

but that's why everyone loves your stories. you're good at what you do.
hyper dragonfyre chapter 2 . 8/21/2008
yay! mello riding port authority subway trains!

XD
The Anonymite chapter 3 . 8/16/2008
A review in exchange for a review, love.

Hehe

(Not that I could help reviewing this, given the chance, just because you deserve to know how fucking amazing it is.)

Crap... I already said what I was going to say...

Oh, who cares. Repetition never hurt anyone: This is fucking amazing.

Yes indeedy.

You did quite the job of not making Near a heartless bastard, which is good, because I really don't think that he's a heartless bastard. Why else would he voice the rather sentimental sentiment at the end of the series that he and Mello were equal to L? (Okay, I know, it's not actually sentimental at all, but I feel like it is, just because Mello's death hurt so badly, and he was kind of putting in a tribute to him, you know? Okay, no, maybe you don't. Just ignore my parenthetical ranting.) I also really like the allusions to superheroes. I'm never really sure how old Near is (despite the fact that I could easily look it up on Wikipedia or one of the related, endlessly useful and endlessly endless websites), but I have a feeling that he's not very old, and that he would still be prone to juvenile instincts like worshipping comicbook figures. I mean, hey, the kid plays with toys constantly.

I love love love the Mello chapter. You say it was hard to write and that you're ambiguous about it, but it's amazing, so take a calming breath and eat a cookie and love it a little. Because it deserves to be loved, because it's amazing.

It's just so very Mello in a kind of raw, elemental way. Of course, Mello is quintessentially raw and elemental and everything. That might be why I'm so desperately fond of him. heh

I love the subway rhapsodizing. It's exactly the way I feel about it when I'm in New York (which isn't often, but I do love that city and it's "burrow beneath the buroughs" more than I love my god-awful, North Carolinian suburb.) It's a damn ugly thing, but it still manages to be appealing despite that. Somehow, it's just... attractive in its dirtiness and in its ugliness and yeah, I'll stop now.

Matt. Oh, Matt. I do love this one, too. I can't really think what to say about it, though, because it just sort of hit a chord that I can't articulate or explain and yeah. I don't know. It's amazing amazing and Matt is very cool, and I do quite like the conclusion.

"Near dwells above, Mello below, Matt in the midst."

Wow... a quite interesting thought just occurred to me: Matt, Mello, and Near are kind of like the Trinity. Weird... (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Hmm... )

If I knew more about Christianity and was at all informed on Bible references, I would have started writing something for that about five seconds ago.

Whatever.

Keep writing the amazingness, and I'll keep reviewing it!

:D

- Anonymous
recipe for insanity chapter 1 . 8/16/2008
Tis a lovely day when people can look beyond the shell of a man (boy) and think there might be more than the appearance at hand. Much of Near's characterization is sadly lacking due to his much tauted "stoic, cold" persona, but everyone has dreams, hopes, and realizations of their lives. It's just some can keep those thoughts and such to themselves much more effectively than others.

This pieces resonates with a delicately innocent, yet ever so aware voice that just fits Near perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
flyingwyvern chapter 3 . 8/16/2008
"Horribly lacking in the grammar department"? Hardly. I quite enjoyed this sequence...it seemed, actually, to be one of your better works...or maybe it's just been a while since I've read your stories. *shrugs* In any case, this was well done. All of the imagery-the metaphors-worming your way inside their brains-it was all so cohesive that I never would have guessed the absence of a beta. I would venture to say that you're perfectly competent at editing your own pieces. :)

Meliked. _
MangoPirate chapter 3 . 8/16/2008
Beautiful, beautiful work. You have a gift for metaphor and imagery both, I must say. I love all three pieces to this, but I believe Near's is my favorite; the brief glimpse of the little boy side of him, wanting to remember superheroes, was so precious and well-written.

Fantasic job on this-all of it!