Reviews for The Mirror Lies
Tranquil Girl chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
Oh. That was beautiful, Manna
JuJu chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
Let me guess, the Disney song was "Reflection" from Mulan.

I really like the grasp you have on all the characters and their motivations and conflicts. If only because they are 100% the way I see them ;)
luvyuyu chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
poor oscar ;-; very nice story..
WhiteTigerLilly chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
Inspired by a disney song huh? I bet it was reflection... I sanf that song on public television... Teehee.

I love it! extra extra love it.

O I got a question. The manga where can i get it cheap?

I cried at the end. I was all emotional from episode 37 or 38 and on.
Bradamante68 chapter 1 . 8/21/2008
That's was a very interesting topic of ROV to explore. I liked very much this fic about Oscar thoughts, you managed to express them in a very realistic way.

I like this sentence: "Would her father be angry, would everyone hate her, if they knew she wished she could live like a woman and still wear men’s clothing and do men’s work?"

Live as a woman and doing men's job at those times was not allowed... thanks to her education and upbrindging she could do things that were forbidden to other women and have much more freedom than the other women. It seems that she thinks she will live forever loveless because of her lifestyle. When she realizes that there is a man who can accept her like she was with her lifestyle, men's clothes etc... everything ends in tragedy. On the other hand, she had been hurt as a woman because her first love wasn't returned. Her first reaction is well known.

I have always thought that she desires to let out her woman side and at the same time is afraid of accepting her woman's feelings. The only thing she wanted, maybe, was being really free.
Xirysa chapter 1 . 8/18/2008
Wow... Nice, short, sad, and sweet. Beautiful, really. :D

Honestly, I thought about these things a lot when I first watched the anime. Really... A life as a man thrown away to be some sort of trophy bride?

Oh, Disney's always inspiring. And smushing Andre in at the end? Simply priceless.

The title, I thought, was simply lovely. And made of epic win.

[She is a woman. She can’t help it. It’s not as if she picked her gender. But is it a bad thing that she does not really mind being a woman, sometimes? Would her father be angry, would everyone hate her, if they knew she wished she could live like a woman and still wear men’s clothing and do men’s work?] That made me think. I swear, it did.

[She can become Gerodère’s wife. A bride. Her. Former Commander of the Royal Guard. It is laughable, but she cannot laugh anymore. She’s run out of smiles.] Beautiful line. Especially the last sentence, in a odd sort of bittersweet way.

I really liked the style you used for this, too. So... Ah.. Eh. Great job is all I'm trying to say, I guess.

[Xirysa]
lunascorpio chapter 1 . 8/18/2008
It's really beautiful. Oscar relecting about her femininity. It must have been very difficult for her. Poor girl. At least she's an animated character. There were many other woman at that age and ever later years that had to disgused as men to have their work recognized. I mean writers, artists,and many others. I'm glad to be be living this tear and to be able work and give my opinion about everything. One of the things Oscar thanked to this father was to be give her this freedom.

Your fic is very lovely and inspiring.

Keep writing.

Luna.
loulou.k chapter 1 . 8/18/2008
Nothing would bright my day than seeing a fiction from you in my , welcome back :)

You know when Oscar stand in front of the Mirror after her Nanny told her about Gerodère proposal, she took off her boots, throw away her jacket and looked at herself, She said:"Marriage? Me?With Gerodere who was my subordinate until (just) recently?My father is eager?How is it possible to come up with a such thing?".And she just laughed , But I feel that she was also angry and her feelings were confused..I mean as you said after 30 years of living as a man, And after challenging herself, Fersen, And Andre by going to live as a man for the rest of her life..her Father wanted to change all all of this, simply, just like that..

And yes she was suppressing her feelings and femineity, otherwise she wouldn't wear a dress just for once to dance with Fersen and feel how would it be in his arms, As a real woman..That's very sad :(

I like how you used the Mirror in the scene" And I had a feeling that you were looking at a Mirror while writing this..right?"

Now my favorites lines..Although It's hard to chose:(She turns away and covers her nakedness, pulling her shirt over her head as tears form in her eyes...)

(And after more than thirty years… Thirty years of being treated like a man, thirty years of acting like a man… Thirty years of struggling to suppress emotions and every feminine thought and desire Thirty years of this not-quite it all been in vain?)

And:(...she answers, and freezes in place at the sound of her own voice, because it is that of a woman. Feminine and soft, her tone gentle.

She blinks and peers at the image in front of her again, at this supposed reflection of she thinks, as she quickly turns away, that the mirror lies.)Waw you've put Andre in the scene as if to wake her up and solve the dilemma ...I like that...Well it's Andre how opened her eyes first of her realy gender.

I think I'm going to remember this 'fic every time I look to myself in The Mirror.

Kisses,

Loulou

Damn..I can't write a short reviews:P