Reviews for The Captain That Might Have Been
Poor Janeway. That's a lot to live with
Smilelysoul13 chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
That is so beautiful
Stardust-in-my-eyes chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
Lovely and sad. This is very much in character with Janeway and her thinking that was later shown in Admiral Janeway. I had to laugh when I read genevieveblake's review. It is so obvious that she must have been watching another tv show and confused her captains. Good work. Excellent and so right reply to Ms. genevieveblake.
ThorinKiliandFili4ever chapter 1 . 12/16/2008
A great story. Very good.
DAxilla chapter 1 . 10/8/2008
Woo Hoo! Hello there! First off, let me thank you for the opportunity for a good debate! I do so love to chat about this topic! (Rubs her hands together gleefully!) And it has been so long since the series ended that people have all moved on to arguing about other series and left this one behind. Makes me a bit sad. So I was thrilled to see you well written and wonderfully expressed points of view in my mailbox this morning! Okay, so here are my responses:

1.) Janeway did NOT hide her secret well in any way shape or form, even in the actual show. The subtext was overwhelming, hence the droves of people that chose to write about this particular couple. Even if the powers that be and Kate Mulgrew Herself completely denied that there could ever be anything between the two of them, the long looks, touches, and glances that these two shared were still very much there and cannot be ignored! Janeway was also always an extremely private and secretive person. She projected a larger than life image of herself that she needed nothing and no one, which was necessary in her position. So yes, she could and would have done an extraordinarily good job at hiding it.

2.) Love is irrational. :) She let it disturb her so much that she could not avoid her actions in the finale. (See below) (Not to mention her irrational behavior in The Void, when she wanted to be left behind to atone for standing them there. How rational was that?)

3.) By your definition, Admiral Janeway was clearly imbalanced and unfit for command decisions in the ACTUAL show, because she allowed her grief to push her into creating a hostile situation with the Klingons, breaking the temporal prime directive and become a fugitive from her beloved Starfleet, all in the hopes of saving Seven's life. The woman went against EVERYTHING she stood for in the very last episode and went back in time to stop the future from happening. You could argue that she did it to save the whole ship. But what was the ONE thing about her time in the Delta that she refused to talk about? Seven of Nine. And HOW did she get her past self to shut up and Pay attention? "Seven is going to die."

So the plot, while maybe not to your taste, certainly has arguments that keep it from being 'absurd'. And considering the amount of fanfiction I have read with similar depictions of Janeway's character, full of angst and sorrow, mine is not a unique vision of her.

That being said, I do respect your opinion and thank you for sharing it with me! It was lovely to be able to kibbitz about this again. Even if only for a few minutes!

Take care!

DAx /\
genevieveblake chapter 1 . 10/8/2008
The idea behind this story is absurd.

1) If Janeway had such a secret it would have come out sooner or later. Voyager is not an adequate place for safe guarding secrets, especially one like that

2) The idea that a future Kathryn Janeway could let the memory of a dead crew member disrupt her life so completely is not rational.

3) The Janeway described is clearly mentally imbalanced and unfit for command decisions.

This story should be called "The Captain That Never Would Have Been". Ignoring the plot this is well written and flows with an enjoyable rhythmetic beat
Lolita22 chapter 1 . 9/30/2008
Aww, dang it! Now you've made my eyes moisten. Sniff... so sad, so sweet, and yet so honest, and true to both characters.

Now that I've read this, I can't fathom why you haven't tried your hand at this style before. Yours is one of the best introspection/angsty pieces I've read, and trust me, those usually annoy me to no end. As far as I'm concerned, this is great work!

Be well, L
agroxneko chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
It was cute and sad, i like it though. Good job.
LynnEGib chapter 1 . 8/20/2008
That surprised me!
LowFlyer1080 chapter 1 . 8/18/2008
Somber story, but great none the less. I still hate they had all that great subtext between Janeway and Seven and had it set up so perfectly for those two to get together, and then they shoved Seven with Plank-boy in the final season of Voyager. That pissed me off. _

Write from the heart!

-LF1080

P.S. Dibs on first review!