Reviews for In A Pickle
Obsessive Freak chapter 4 . 2/19
Wow this was a great story, the characters seemed spot on and if was written beautifully. It's a shame that you never finished it.
myownmind chapter 4 . 1/14/2011
I just found your story and am enjoying it very much. Please update soon!
ParchmentRose chapter 4 . 11/16/2010
This is brilliant! Not sure if you ever plan to continue it, but if you do I'd love to read more! Your characterisation is good - Horatio is as serious as ever! I love the Pickle; it's the *real* hero of Trafalgar. Thanks for writing!
Rachel Indeed chapter 4 . 7/14/2010
I am so impressed with this story ~ the details and action sequences are marvelous, and watching Horatio's clever sabotage slowly unravel was a pleasure. Mr. Kennedy is my favorite character - from which you can probably tell that I am coming to this series through the tele!verse rather than the book!verse - but it's wonderful to see you integrate him into the rich historical context you've gained through the books. I see it's been a while since you updated this tale, and of course you may well have moved on to other interests, but you have at least one reader out here who would enjoy it very much if you ever wanted to continue this adventure! I will add this story to my alert list in a gesture of optimism, but even if you leave it as is, just know that I enjoyed it greatly! :)
Leomeome chapter 4 . 4/4/2010
I want to read more! It's such a thrilling story. I hope, someday, you will continue it.
laced-with-fire chapter 4 . 10/26/2009
I like this story, update soon.
kamelion chapter 4 . 4/25/2009
Well that's a heck of a place to leave it! :)
Teachergra chapter 4 . 3/10/2009
This is the best Horatio Hornblower story I've ever read! It has the best elements of Cecil Scott Forester plus a humanity added by the limited omniscient POV. The mastery of the vocabulary is refreshing, the clarity of the events is vivid, the depth of the characters is surprising... I don't have enough space to praise this story! In conclusion... MORE, MORE, MORE!
shezzawatto chapter 4 . 1/31/2009
Another chapter so soon! Nice going, LadyB. I'm with child to know how the limes are going to play a part in all this.

Am enjoying the little ironies, like the barrels floating around and being hauled aboard again. Also impressed by details like the Chinaman's probable tolerance of laudanum if he is indeed an opium eater, the mention that it wasn't only the Chinese who could become such, and the medical details you weave into the narrative without them being either too technical or too naive. Chuckled over the Chinese martial arts demo and Archie's ignorance of it, despite the sad consequences.

Great characterisations and dialogue - particularly evocative of the scrambled communication between people who have a smattering of each others' language, but not enough.

Congratulations for making the French intelligent and active instead of obvious losers.

My compliments to Lord B for his obviously excellent advice.

Looking forward to the next.

shezzawatto chapter 3 . 1/30/2009
Have only just discovered this, and am Very Impressed! Nice "voices". Excellent characterisations, and a plot that makes me want to keep reading. Particularly loved the bit in chapter 1 where Archie is trying to sort out the medical issues for Horatio. The internal dialogue you gave him was So credible! Had to laugh when he came up with laudanum as the answer - if anything was More calculated to make one nauseous! Naughtical technicalities and detail also dealt with well.

Good to see the fandom still generating Non Mary Sue plot bunnies!

Looking forward to following this!

Thanks for the entertainment LadyB

tashe chapter 3 . 1/20/2009
Completely wonderful story. It's well-written, engaging, and very in-character; I look forward to updates!

*huggles beloved, silly officers* They have a special talent for getting themselves captured, don't they?

Also, you win the internet for naming their ship *Pickle*. For serious.
Mercury Gray chapter 2 . 8/27/2008
I thought the bit about Marianne was very funny, especially since I knew the captain didn't name the ship after his wife. Your attention to historical detail is laudable, especially in this category where it often goes by the wayside. And oh, those blasted limes! I hope our intrepid heroes don't land in any more trouble during your hiatus.
Mercury Gray chapter 1 . 8/19/2008
As a point of reference, ship's names should be in italics when notating them in fiction. As another point of reference, the hands would refer to Acting-Captain Hornblower as Captain Hornblower. He's got the epaulette - he gets all the respect that goes along with it. 'Mister' is a style of address used for commissioned officers only - sailing masters, lieutenants, midshipmen, etc. Men like the ship's carpenter (petty officers) and the rest of the hands would be addressed without 'Mister' as simply Jenkins, as you have it here. I had to look up HMS Pickle to see if the Navy actually had a ship with only 10 guns (that sounded really small) and you are absolutely right. Thank you for doing your research on this one.

Technical stuff over with. Now on to the actual review! I like what you've done with Archie and Horatio. You've gotten down the key elements of their characters (especially the sea-sickness and stubborn streak) and that really works in your favor. I also really like how you characterize the French at the end. It's a few steps away from Monty Python-Holy Grail territory, but you have me interested. I want to know what happens next!