Reviews for I am a Thief
Starrweaver chapter 1 . 6/25/2010
First I must confess that I could not place myself within the scope of the captain. The part was masterfully drawn, but alas, was also completely typical of the standard. Rarely does one of these mundane meat robots, break free to be more than predictable. Now the psi gifted were of great interest, they truly were a deviation from the norm and a real treat. Not so pleasant was their disposal. I would think that having one to study would be of future benefit. Of course, such a gifted human would be most profitable in a number of ways. Such a waste.

I fear I'm rather naive of the world from which you developed these delightful characters. It was my daughter that informed me that one of my characters, StarFox, had a name match within the realm. I do admit that I found myself a tad nervous at the thought of being aboard that vessel in one of that characters guises, for she is a shapeshifter. Her forms being that of human in all ways, a white furred vixen with two tails, violet eyes and the size of a grey wolf. The one betwixt the two is that of a fox humanoid mix with but one tail. There is more fox in the mix than human though that can be shifted.

My nervousness was from the fact of nature, vulpine eat rodents. I would not find the numbers favorable in such a situation.

I found the entire dialogue compelling, pulling the action along in a swift and skilled direction. I applaud your usage of language, your slight insights to the intelligence of Daroach. The hints of being refined, unlike his followers in a way that separates them without dividing. His true feelings often slip through, how he finds humans much like the way that many humans feel about rodents. But he seeks to rise above such to be more than gracious, though there is some tinge of disgust despite his best efforts.

I fear I was not saddened by the ending, though perhaps it was for Daroach that I felt some tenderness. He perhaps could have given more attention to what schemes the Captain was up to. But then there was much to keep his attentions elsewhere, thus I can not fault him for not knowing. Though perhaps I would fault others for not tending to the captive in his absence.

I enjoyed the journey, from the safety of the window from which you allowed me to view this adventure. I'm unsure as to what my fate would have been had my persona of StarFox had been involved, as one touch upon her human form would have allowed knowledge of her true nature to be known to you. Thus I fear the laws of prey and predator would have been evoked. Though I'm afraid I would have been at a disadvantage.

I thank you for an excellent tale and look forward to reading more of your work.
Lost Yoshi chapter 1 . 3/23/2010
Wow...

The subtle integration of all those Nintendo series into one world felt quite natural, and I think this is the first time I've seen a story written from this perspective. (...Though that may simply mean I've missed a lot...)

It definitely drew me in and gave a feeling of helplessness, and in the end, I was glad to be done reading it. (Er... In a good way, though.)
DeadAccount-ClickMeforDetails chapter 1 . 7/17/2009
Hm... dunno what to say.

You almost 100% captured how I imagined Daroach to be.

Fantastic!

Sorry, I can't think of any critique... YET! MWAHAHAHA!

Anyway, keep up with your excellent work.
Untaintedchild chapter 1 . 2/1/2009
Wow. Just wow.

This story is very hard to comment on, because there is such an interesting feel to it. The first line, the hook, was all it took to have me engrossed into this character you have created.

Kirby characters are by no means deep, that doesn't mean bad. It just means so much is left for the imagination, and you have totally taken hold of that. Your intreperation of Daroach was incredible. I could picture his deep english accent and the smirk on his lips as he talked. Dare I say, he sounded a bit like Moriarty from 'Sherlock Holmes'. I enjoyed this immensily. Not just by your characterization, but how you allowed your reader to become the dear captain. I found myself making comments trying to retort those of Daroach, who was clearly more clever than I.

Needless to say, this is a grand story. I loved the lingustics behind it. The feeling that you offered the reader, and the evil villian you embodyed.

Terrifc job! Please keep up the great work! I can't wait to read more from you!

-Untaintedchild
PurpleTriforce chapter 1 . 2/1/2009
Before I say anything else, I'm a huge fan of Daroach. And I really love how you shaped his personality, given only an his appearance, moveset, and slight storyline from the game. A cunning, inteligent jerk who won't hesitate to go straight to the point. It's perfect for him.

I'm not very huge into critique (I doubt I could ever give any while trying to be serious), but either way I can't say I found anything in the story I didn't like. XD The majority of this review will just be me telling you how much I enjoyed it. And really, I enjoyed it very much.

The references you made to other series such as StarFox and FZero just added to the "galactic thieves perspective". Every little addition was like adding frosting to the cake, and you avoided overloading it (hold up, now I'm using cake as a metaphor?). Kudos to creating an awesome character for Daroach, and especially for the unknown captain, whom you portrayed so well without giving him/her one single line. Usually I wouldn't take a liking in a character who benefits from the misery of others. But he was so comical about it! As stated from the start, "I love every minute of it." He's like the ideal character of a 100% thief or something. I hope I don't sound lame.

Oh Daro... really, I just couldn't get over his witty attitude. I found myself laughing at several parts, such as the frequent mouse references and how Daroach called Doc "the Doctor".

The lack of stories on this site for the game Squeak Squad always upset me, I found it to be a cute and creative little game for the DS. (had there been more Meta Knight in it I'm sure more fangirls would flock to it. I guess that's a good thing they didn't huh?) Given that there wasn't much storyline or hardly any personality for and of the characters, there's so many opporunities to mold and create a story like you did. So I thank you for entertaining me so greatly, and I'm sure many scattered fans feel the same.

(Hahahah, and thanks for not making Daro an emo or something like that. I doubt I'd be able to read ten seconds into a dreary story following those guidelines. You made him a badass, which not many people will do for the main character. Enough angsty heroes, I'd like to see more crazy villains right?)

Thanks again. XD

~PT
DarkLordKardos chapter 1 . 8/29/2008
Wow. This is amazing. I love the personality you wrote for Daroach; kind of insane and murderous, and yet polite and charismatic. Like a more elegant Joker.

The idea of an integrated universe is also a very well-executed concept. I'd love to read more.

Dark Lord Kardos