Reviews for Royal Society
missoneandonly chapter 18 . 10/5/2014
Woah...
I can't believe I only just found this story! Fantastic ending, well done :)
Monika chapter 18 . 1/30/2014
Hi Snownut,
thanks so much for a lovely new chapter. I like this story so much! It's very sad but interesting to hear about the unhappy life of poor Joseph Merrick. And snow in July in England sounds very unusual. No wonder, that Mr. House is excited.
Monika
ViolettBlack chapter 18 . 1/27/2014
Fantastic new chapter!
It left me curious if Mr. Merrick will move into Dr. House's home or if Dr. House will just serve as Mr. Merrick's attending physician in the future.
Also, The weather in July 1888 is quite strange. Snow in the middle of the summer? I just looked it up on the Internet. It really happened! Wow! An extraordinary event in an extraordinary story. Cool!
I love the way you write it, with its historic wording. I always learn new words with each new chapter you write and post. So your story is quite educational for me.
Since I can't get enough of it, I hereby ordering the next chapter!
HilsonFTW chapter 17 . 1/27/2014
Oh, and Prince Leopold died in 1884, and a brougham is a one horse carriage. Sorry, I'll shut up now. ;-) I shall not let any of that get into way of enjoying your story. :-)
HilsonFTW chapter 18 . 1/27/2014
Wow, what a great story, why did it take me so long to find it? We can has moar? Swiftly? ;-)

I like the Holmes/ Watson atmosphere you’re creating, even though you’re clearly writing about House and Wilson nevertheless, and I’m impressed by your knowledge of London geography – there’s a lot of people in the UK who wouldn’t be able to recreate the streets of Victorian London as well as that. I can see all these streets before me as I’ve walked them (over 100 years later, obviously, but the layout of that area hasn’t changed much since). Totally love the way you’ve made Henry part of the story, too.

Couple of niggly little things, though, that I think are worth taking care of, because that would make a great story perfect:

-London hasn’t got brownstones. Neither has the building material ever been used there, nor would a house of that kind ever be called that term. The word you want is a red brick terrace or townhouse.
-I think you’re confusing curare and cocaine. Curare is used for visceral surgery because it paralyses the patient, who then needs to be ventilated until they wake up or they’ll die, because the poison paralyses their breathing muscles, too. Cocaine was the drug commonly used as local anaesthetic back then and what House would have given the prince.
-Tracheostomised patients can’t speak, because the air that would usually pass through the larynx giving the patient a voice instead escapes through the trach. House would have given His Royal Highness a pen and paper or somesuch to communicate with.
-Only surgeons are called Mr in British and Irish parlance. All the doctors in your story would therefore be called Dr.
-The Royal London, as the hospital of Joseph Merrick’s residence is now called, is actually on Whitechapel Road, not Whitechapel Street.
-You’re using eve as an archaic form of evening, but that’s actually not correct. The eve is the evening before a day. Think Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve, both of which are before the feast days they’re called after.

Still, wonderful story! And I can totally see House bond with Joseph Merrick; it rings true!
MrsBock chapter 18 . 1/26/2014
Great to see more writing from you! I just read this story for the first time this weekend. I like it! It's different in many ways, but still has the original flavor of House. I never thought I would like this type of story, so it left me pleasantly surprised. Hope to see more installments for this and your other works soon. Thanks!
OldSFfan chapter 18 . 1/26/2014
Very moving chapter.
De-em2 chapter 18 . 1/26/2014
What a lovely surprise to get a chapter of Royal Society. You probably read the Elephant Man seeing the details in this chapter; it is also on my bookshelves. I like the way you keep up the old english style in the narrative. My compliments. The text is so vividly descriptive that by the end of the story you have a number off paintings in your head. Looking forward to see what happens next with Mr House and Wilson. Also, you depict House as a teacher very well.
OldSFfan chapter 15 . 11/25/2012
Wonderful and unique story. Very, very impressive!
mouse-that-roared chapter 18 . 4/4/2012
Excellent chapter. Your take on Joseph Merrick was excellent and I liked House and Wilson's reactions to him. This story is so wonderfully atmospheric, it's a pleasure to read.
ViolettBlack chapter 18 . 11/9/2011
Thank you for the new and top-notch chapter!

On this occasion I’ve re-read the entire fanfiction. It’s a really lovely story and I enjoy reading it over and over again.

I like the way you’ve introduced Mr. Merrick. “The Elephant Man” is one of my favorite movies. Don’t know how many times I’ve watched it by now.

P.S.: I really would love chatting with you. Preferably via Skype messenger or Twitter. But the Yahoo messenger is OK, too.
KNITTYWOMAN chapter 18 . 11/7/2011
I'm intrigued by this. You've created a wonderful atmosphere here. I must say that I do find House a bit OOC, but not enough to deter me from reading. Looking forward to more, hopefully in sooner than a year's time! :)
bmax chapter 18 . 11/7/2011
This was very clever including John Merrick in the story. What a life that man must have led, being considered a freak by 99% of the population.

Very well done.

Also, I just read all 18 chapters you've posted. I commented on a number of them but each one has been well written and sticks to the genre very well.
bmax chapter 9 . 11/7/2011
Fun picturing them trying to get House up and ready to go here.

He can't be easy to deal with. LOL

Love House's comment "Are we going to tea?" Great line.
bmax chapter 6 . 11/7/2011
Love how House manipulated Wilson in an Olde English way here. :)

House knows a winner when he sees one.