Reviews for Petros Basileus
rosebudmelissa chapter 4 . 8/25/2012
That was really a whole lot of fun. I've never been a fan of the Greek Tragedies, and I couldn't really take it seriously, so the epilogue really made it perfect.
Uyanga chapter 4 . 6/22/2012
I've searched so long for this story! Ever since I opened an account of my own I've been trying to remember the title so I could review this. So glad I've finally found it.

The play was just like something a Greek playwright of old might have written (how can you write something like this?).

I liked the Epilogue as well. (though I prefer to think the 'play' is real) Very humorous and the brotherly dialogue between Peter and Edmund was sweet.

Overall, a fresh, original fic that is going to go on my favorites list. ;)

Laura Andrews chapter 4 . 3/29/2012
Wow, this was really good... although very tragic (haha). The epilogue was a nice bit of levity, too :D You wrote it all so well. Thumbs up!
lovenarnia chapter 4 . 3/10/2012
I laughed. During the first act.

I'm fairly certain that it was NOT supposed to be funny, but it was just so serious and so very Greek-y (perhaps a bit Shakespearian also) that I couldn't help it. I was envisioning a bearded giant dressed in pink pantaloons playing an angsty Peter, and it was just too much for me.

That being said, it was definitely a tragedy.
OldFashionedGirl chapter 4 . 10/10/2011
Thank you for the comic ending and the (completely believable) explanation of *where* this came from. Otherwise I'd be scratching my head and saying with Lucy, "But they're not dead!" As it is, I'm smiling. This was a fun introduction to the Greek tragedy. I should learn more about it.
Crazy Dyslexic Nerd chapter 4 . 2/20/2011
I would quite like to see this Archenladish lady who tried to steal Edmund away back to Archenlad!

-Dyslexic Nerd
kalinnnnn chapter 4 . 1/30/2011

You really have a talent for writing comic relief. The last sentence actually had me laughing out loud.

And do I detect a hint of self-criticism? It is true that the four Pevensies in the play have little to do with the characters of the books, but otherwise it wouldn't have made a good Greek tragedy, which was the main purpose of this fic.

Anyway, a lovely little piece after all the drama.
kalinnnnn chapter 3 . 1/30/2011
I don't think I have enough words to express my admiration at what you have created. You have taken the best of Greek tragedy, a genre you're obviously familiar with extremely well, and you have incorporated it into the world of Narnia in a beautiful and sad story, and the result is breathtaking. Everything seems so authentic that were it not for the main characters, I would've believed I was reading Sophocles. I see you opted to make the chorus a bit more involved in the tragedy, a thing that is typical of Sophocles, as far as I recall, and as a whole you've followed more in his footsteps rather than in Euripides'; there's also no deus ex machina, which makes the tragedy of the ending all the more poignant, because the conflict must be resolved by the mortals themselves. And the premonitions of the skies that are interpreted by the chorus are really fitting and again, seem like taken from a real Greek tragedy. In fact I can see a lot of similarities between your work and Oedipus Rex: the premonitions of the chorus, the initial denial of Peter, his physical blinding when he finally sees the truth; all these reference points are wonderfully interwoven with your original plot. And the catharsis at the end is again very similar to the ending of Sophocles' play, with Peter going away and Edmund left to rule alone (by the way, the line about the three empty thrones was heart-breaking.) But here we are left with the feeling that the 'purging' was not complete, because the conflict wasn't fully resolved and Peter will have to return one day, unlike Oedipus Rex. And while in Sophocles' work one can see the ancient ideal for justice, here Edmund the Just forgives the transgressor, thus breaking the cycle of retaliation and punishment: a vision of justice that perfectly fits Lewis's world. Congratulations on creating a unique and wonderful fanfic!

I wanted to review the play first, because I knew the epilogue had little to do with it and I want to review it separately.
bookmountain77 chapter 3 . 1/22/2011
I thought this story kinda had a king lear feeling to it. With Peter being blinded like Gloucester, Edmund being exiled like Edgar was and Agisto lieing like Edmund

( in king Lear not narnia) did. That's just my opinion did you think of tjat when you were writing the story? Also it was really good ;) Not my favorite of your storys but still awesome.
AnonymouslyUnknown chapter 4 . 1/2/2011
THAT WAS AMAZING! I loved it so much. The style of the play were beautifully portrayed and the epilogue had me giggling hysterically (which got me weird looks from my sister). The Peter Edmund part was wonderful. I just love the way you write. I'm still blown by the play and how well written and almost Shakespearean it was! I could go on, but I'll leave it at 'amazing job' :D
Lirulin chapter 4 . 12/29/2010
I hardly have the words to describe what I think. This has been truly captivating, and I have never read anything like it. I honestly have to say that I was a bit wary at first because I don't know much about Greek tragedy and didn't know what to expect, but then I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! I was actually shouting at the screen when Peter believed Agisto over Edmund. ;) And when Peter was blinded, I had to cringe. "Hearing" it offstage was somehow worse than reading it described.

Peter's monologue/soliloquy at the beginning of Act III was so powerful! How terrible to have to realise that you brought your own downfall on yourself! Oh, and I loved Susan's teichoscopy, and how she found her courage again. I think it's fitting that she is the one to kill Agisto, even if she dies as well (but I somehow expected that...). And of course the reunion of Peter and Edmund was wonderful and heartbreaking. I honestly hadn't counted on Peter leaving, but it fit so well!

The epilogue was also great, a good mix of humour and seriousness. I like the backstory you've created for the tragedy, I can just imagine the Archenlandish poets writing about the Golden Age without much caring for accuracy. And of course Edmund as the hero is always something I love, but I might be biased there. :)

Ok, sorry for the rant, I can't believe how long this turned out to be. It was a wonderful story, and I loved it!
Eavis chapter 4 . 11/28/2010
Oh, only you could make me feel such a variety of emotions all in one (relitively) short story. I cried, I laughed, and everything in between. I'd forgotten about how Beautiful tradgedy is, when there is hope. Too long have I been reading only the Dark Beauty, forgetting how the Light shines even in the dar
CherylSongbow chapter 4 . 11/15/2009
Another interesting story. Of course, the epilogue is my favorite part.
Taryn Streambattle chapter 4 . 9/18/2009
OOH That I would Like to see (Edmund's attempted kidnapping anyways)

Well . . . the play was angsty, etc. I kept waiting for Aslan to show up.

Oh well
Taryn Streambattle chapter 2 . 9/18/2009
Ouch. Peter, you IDIOT

Petros Basileus

That's greek for King Peter, right?
46 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »