Reviews for My Final Goodbye
Quickslice chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
I'd like to believe that Kenshin lived to see his grandchildren and died of natural cause, maybe with old age. Western medicine was already in circulation that time and era so I guess Megumi had some knowledge of it and took advantage of it to prolong Kenshin's life or at least heal him. I hate the Reflection OVA, I will never ever make Kenshin so helpless like that if Rurouni Kenshin is mine!
CaylieJelly chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
It was difficult not to cry for this fan fic can really provoke emotions.
geckohawaii chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
Oh my g**, that's so wonderfully depressing at the end. In a good way (is that even possible?). For me, the character's perceptions determine the story's ending, and as Kenshin and Hiko both say "sayonara" it's a sad note the way I read it. I think Kenshin probably lasted longer than his mid 30's, but as you said, "eh, whatever." Great characterizations! I love Hiko's, "No, you're just really short." Lol! Oh, and Kenji saying he knows how to cook and then burning the rice-definitely chuckled there. A lot.
Raven Wolfmoon chapter 1 . 5/21/2010
GAHHH this was so cute and wonderful! I love the unspoken words of Hiko, and how he really cares for Kenshin! And their introduction in the beginning - hilarious! Great story!
Lady Storm chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
I really really like this, and the 'imagery' - I could see this playing out in my head. I would like to believe that Kenshin is eternal and gets better, and they all live happily ever after, yay, party with balloons and cake! Alas, that's not how it goes. Personally, the last OVA made me violently angry, and so I don't even acknowledge it's existence or Kenshin's death in it. Humph.
Deathcas chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
beautiful story. I loved it. I just hoped those special herbs worked. I haven't watched the OVA's and all...and I never finished the manga, so I didn't know about Kenshin becoming ill and such.

Anyways, excellent job, your writing is brilliant! Continue on with your excellent work!
The-Real-Ponytail-Link chapter 1 . 1/15/2009
Gah! Why do I keep finding tearjerkers! Gah! It was really good and I kept crying! Stupid tears! It was great.
moeru himura chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
I think that was very sad. You really have a good grasp of the father/son -like relationship of these two characters. This story's heart-warming but I never really want to imagine Kenshin and Hiko's last goodbye. And also Kenshin dying? Too much sadness.

Btw, I'm also reading your other Hiko-Kenshin fic and it's quite interesting too. Keep writing! XD
GG chapter 1 . 11/24/2008
I liked your story as an epilogue(of sorts)to the series. And to answer your question, I do not think Kenshin's body kept deteriorating in his latter years. And it definitely never got to the point where he couldn't even do basic chores. Megumi said that the deteriration was a result of Kenshin being careless about his health as well as the physically demanding nature of Hiten Mitsurugi and therefore he could only keep using it for five more years. But she did say that if he was careful with his body, he could continue wielding a sword even after that. At the end of the manga after giving Yahiko the sakabatou he fully intends to continue using kenjutsu(presumably with a bokken) so it appears he remained in decent health in his later years.
legolasEstelstar chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
this was bittersweet, but tastefuly done. you managed the emotions without getting them out of character.

good job _
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 10/7/2008
That was very sweet. Hiko behaved much as he did in the anime/manga - caring but quite unwilling to show it in an obvious way. Shoving the herbs at Kenshin at the last minute was completely in character for them along with the 'I've had no use for them'. Indeed. Why would someone with a (in his own opinion) god-like physique need herbs? That's so very Hiko-esque.

Since I choose to believe the 'Reflections' OAV doesn't exist and is just a bad dream the producers came up with, I prefer to think that the herbs work and Kenshin lives to a ripe old age. Poor guy deserves some years of health and happiness, and with Hiko's gift for understatement, those herbs are probably the equivalent antibiotics on steroids.

Cute story! The burnt rice bit cracked me up too.
Exodya chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
Bua! TT Kenshin! UU

I hate Kenshin's death in the OVA's. I think it was pneumonia...? Jesus! He dies like a baka! Not in a heroic way, not fighting... he just... dies... TT

Anyways, great one-shot! You really got Hiko's hidden sadness. And Kenji loves his father here! In the manga, he actually hates poor Kenshin! XD
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 1 . 8/30/2008
Kenshin took his five-year-old son on a 319 mile journey across Japan on foot? If I were Kaoru, I'd kill him!

So Kenshin's health is going south. He gets tired more frequently and yet he still decides to walk 300 miles to Kyoto? Very sensible. There was a steam ship available. Wouldn't it have been advisable for Kenshin and his small son to take that?

Why after five years of marriage does Kenshin still feel the need to hide things from Kaoru? Don't forget though, that Kaoru does know about Kenshin's health because she was there when Megumi diagnosed the deterioration at the end of the Jinchuu Arc.

"Old Shishou"? *gasp choke* I would love to know what Hiko's reaction to being referred to such would be.

Inspecting every creature, crawling or dead, seems to be the hallmark of small boys.

Kenshin can't even dodge Hiko's punch? Pretty pathetic for the most feared warrior of the Bakumatsu. Was it more of a play beating like Kaoru does to him, or a serious beating?

Hiko is definitely right that Kenshin should forgive himself and let go of the past. If he is always weighted down by the past, how can he be a good husband and father?
Onhiro chapter 1 . 8/29/2008
This was a very good one shot, though I think that Kenshin is finished. He did too much during his life and therefore must pay the price. Men who strive to be gods, even good ones, will all fall before their time. Very good, but sad, as life tends to be. All I can hope for is that the herbs lend him even one day of no pain nor weariness. Great job.

spirit-mage-234 chapter 1 . 8/29/2008
Aww, that was touching and sad. Yeah, I didin't like the OVA either, but this result of practicing Hiten is very plausible for Kenshin's situation. Some say that he will just not be able to practice Hiten and the rest of him is fine, others say that it will make his health as a whole deteriorate. I don't really like thinking about that though...

Anyway, good job.