Reviews for Unromantic Ideal
hondagirl chapter 12 . 11/15/2008
I love Phil. She was one of my favorite characters from the third book. Even if she did annoy me at first. But poor Gilbert here. He's sick and heartbroken. Poor love.

-honda
chocoluvr chapter 11 . 11/13/2008
Good chapter showing Gilbert's inner turmoil about Anne.
mk985 chapter 11 . 11/11/2008
I haven't read or reviewed your story in quite a while (pesky thing called life ;-b), and then I had a mini-panic when I couldn't find LLM page on FF lol. Anyway I am gonna squeeze something like 6 chapters worth of reviews in here if I can manage it...

Ch 6: OK perhaps too coincidental that the Gleeson's would have lived in the same house as Anne's parents, and that Gil would stumble on the box that was unrightfully taken from Anne but I liked the imagery behind it nonetheless. Hope that Anne actually will get to meet Jessie eventually when she herself visits Bolingbroke.

Ch 7: LMAO at this chapter. The Charlie/Gil exchange was hilarious, "Carp", "celestial music" (Gil is rather like Anne with his daydreams), "referring to the incident without directly referring to it…a strange talent which many men seem to possess." (so true) LOL! Though makes me wonder why Charlie even proposed if he knew Anne loved Gil and they were "intertwined". Guess the man doesn't go down without a fight. I notice you have also introduced the character that will give Anne's thoughts some grief later on - hehe on the postscript to Roger. Finally admitting to himself that Anne is his (even if they both deny it).

Ch 8: Somewhat of a filler chapter I think... introducing places and people that will be important later in the story but no real developments between Anne and Gil yet. Though I thought it nice that we find Gil and Anne don't agree on everything (Gilbert and Sullivan lol :D). Makes it more believable rather than just having Gil mooning over Anne without regard to her WHOLE character.

Ch 9: aww poor Gil was left out in the cold of gossip & girl-talk lol. I dislike Royal Gardner already - though I am interested to see what Gil makes of him when he actually meets him. Will Gil despise Royal only because of the fact that he shall court Anne (and she will fall for him, or so it will seem)? I think it might give him more conflict, if Gil can't actually fault Royal with a bad character. Only noticed one mistake - you misspelled "irony" (well I *think* you meant irony at least).

Ch 10: Wow. Even after knowing exactly how that scene would go, your depiction of Gil's feelings in the moment of rejection made me feel for him and want to give him comforting words of reassurance. Funny how even after all the desperation and anger he feels towards Anne, Gil still considers her (well sort of - not wanting to flare up at her counts as consideration to me).

Ch 11: Bring on the Gilbert pity party lol. Nice how you didn't develop the chapter in a big gaping black-hole of despair - there was still subtle touches of humour "the volume of the contents of one’s wastepaper basket, usually in tear-stained, botched attempts to write lovelorn letters, increases exponentially as does the volume of one’s sobs." LOL. Gil's questioning of himself after his failed proposal was well done. Doubt can sometimes be just as painful as rejection. Though I really wonder whether Gil truly *regrets* what he has done - would he feel the same self-doubt and pity if he had done nothing at all? He fought like Charlie for what he wanted, seized the day, and while he didn't get Anne, will he mature and let his character grow from this experience? Even though he promised Anne he would never change, surely he must somewhat, I believe it is part of human nature to evolve.

Whew... that was a long review, back to 1 chapter reviews from now on :-) Keep up the great writing!
literaryfreak chapter 11 . 11/10/2008
I thought Chap 10 sounded a lot like the proposal from Little Women:)

This is a lovely story! Wonderful!
rin awayuki chapter 11 . 11/9/2008
this chapter is so sad.. *sighs*

well, thanks for always updating.. i really love this story (-_-)

ja!
Guest chapter 11 . 11/9/2008
Hello I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your story. I have read Blythe Spirit and now Unromantic Ideal and I think it is amazing! Also I liked the reference to Dedalus and Icarus in the last chapter lol
Memories Lost chapter 11 . 11/9/2008
Aw I love your writing style, and especially this story! I read it every Sunday, like clockwork, and you never disappoint. Keep up the good work, this is a great tale, and you tell it so well!
chocoluvr chapter 10 . 11/9/2008
Good chapter.
emily-in-the-glass chapter 11 . 11/9/2008
poor gilbert! anne had philippa to comfort him, but gilbert has no-one - for i'm sure charlie sloane won't be a very sympathetic confidante!

i can't wait to see how things progress from hereon with christine stuart and roy gardner.

actually, scratch that. i'm rather looking forward to gilbert's summer in the glen none the less! will he hear anything of captain jim - leslie - miss cornelia? will he perchance stumble across the house of dreams, dreaming to live in it one day - like anne with patty's place? ooh-oh... the possibilities.
Shanthi.lily chapter 11 . 11/8/2008
gr8 chapter! please update soon!
Christine Writer chapter 11 . 11/8/2008
Amazing, as per usual! Poor poor sad Gil!
serenity12345 chapter 11 . 11/8/2008
:( aw...
tvor chapter 11 . 11/8/2008
L.M. Montgomery never really revealed how deeply Anne's refusal hurt Gilbert, but this must be what happened. Poor Gilbert! He knows that Anne really loves him, she's just stubborn and has to find out herself.

This was a beautful chapter, and so despairing. I just have to remember that they DO get married eventually.
crystaltokyo9849 chapter 11 . 11/8/2008
I really like this chapter a lot! It was so sad, and I almost (nearly almost) hated Anne for putting Gil through this pain, but...one can't stay angry at that red-haired girl for long, can they? :)

Is this whole story going to be about Anne of the Island, or are you goin to connect it with another book?

Can't wait for the next chapter. Update soon please!
Insub chapter 11 . 11/8/2008
Ch 11 Loved the part about the pillow.
268 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »