Reviews for Four Ways in Vain
Chandlia chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
This is a beautiful piece to read, both in terms of theme and characterization. Well-written stories with duty, honor and dragons never go out of style. _ Thanks for this insight into Gong Su...and the effects of hard journeys on Temeraire's crew (which seem to be lost and found on wind and wing).
SkyLilies chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
You've really got Gong Su's possible thoughts spot-on- for the little that we know of him, he's perfectly in character. Another thing that's spot-on is the humour. Any story with James or Volly in it can't be lacking in that, and you made me almost spit my coffee out my nose reading what Gong Su thought about Volly :)
Ramzes chapter 1 . 10/18/2008
Wonderful story, amazingly written. Would you mind moving it to Temeraire's section? I really think that there are too little stories there (I pride myself to be the one who actually DISCOVERED this section, because, believe it or not, it was not existing in Books section until I posted my story - only in Creating Story options).
tanyart chapter 1 . 9/28/2008
"... tea-ruining barbarians (a rather petty part of him still cannot forgive them for that)..."

Haha, that made me grin!

I think I've commented before on LJ, but I will say it again; this story is absolutely marvelous to read. Thanks for giving us a little more James and Gong Su in the Temeraire-verse! I'm squeeing. I really am. :D
Chester Teck chapter 1 . 9/19/2008
A smile crossed my face at the Li Bai you so prominently displayed for the benefit of those who probably think Novik's "dragon version" of it is her own invention. While it is always gratifying to see interest in Chinese culture, the poem and those little mentions of food really nailed it. Nicely done.

I have never seen much of Gong Su myself in the novels, so I'd have to say your expansion of him here goes a long way to making up for Novik's neglect. James is the perfect foil, and the byplay between the two is kept just short enough to let Gong Su's own private musings do the meat of the talking. Played out in the mind, the conversation is in fact very brief. It reminds me of poignant movie scenes where less said is more.

Don't worry about discrepancies; a little unintentional AU never hurt anyone. All in all, this is a good thoughtful read, and hopefully not the last I will see from you - here or on Liberty Flight.