Reviews for The Horn Rimmed Spectacles
666Peaches101 chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
This a sheer of cleverness. Well done.
Tigress2929 chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
Ha! Steve and Lois. Both don't know who it is right I front of them. I wonder how'd theyd feel once they found out. Good story.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/29/2012
THIS: "Diana looked at Steve longingly, blinking her enlarged blue eyes with some anxiety."

omg. that made it.
Kate chapter 1 . 9/10/2008
Funniest line ever - "Really – for someone who had been decorated countless times for his intelligence and quick thinking, Trevor was remarkably stupid. Didn't he say he sustained head injuries rather often?" I can still tell that you like Steve Trevor though as more than just a friend
Matt the Batman Fan chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
Well, now that I've read it, this was a story that really had to be done. Of course, a lot of the Golden Age and early Silver Age comics had the tendency to rip each other off. (Superman and Wonder Woman, Batman and Green Arrow, The Teen Titans and The Justice League). It wasn't really until Marvel came along that the people at DC really had to dig into their bag of characters and come out with something that was a little less carbon copied base.

But back to the story itself, I really liked how Lois and Steve referred to themselves as the "you knows" since it really gives the two of them the intelligence and self-awareness that was often found rather lacking in the old comics. Although I was always a bigger fan of the current day Lois than the Lois who was constantly getting rescued or being put into improbable adventures, I liked how you presented her own form of inner strength as well as Steve's optimism through his insecurities. The concussion comment was also a nice stab at the fourth wall as well.

Good one-shot and I'm glad I read it.
Dunyazade chapter 1 . 9/6/2008
Oh, so THIS is the story you mentioned!

Brace yourself now. I read this story and I am going to share my complete reaction with you, starting with one long drawn out fangirl scream of glee:

e!

Ok. Let me catch my breath. This was perfectly executed. PERFECTLY. I can't tell you how much I loved it! But I will try. First of all, let me just say that now that I've read this, I can't believe no one's written it before. How could it be that no one thought of this? It's ingenious. It's epitomical. It had me kicking my feet against the wall in fangirlation! I am thoroughly, thoroughly impressed. This is on a level way above what you've done in "Metropolis Now" and that's saying something, since that story is already pretty top shelf itself.

I love how you've modernized the Golden Age characters. Love it. They're utterly believable. They could be sitting in any coffee shop in any town right now.

For me, the magic started here: "she had lost a list of leads she had been researching for days when Kent tripped over the power cord of her computer on his way to grab a donut" LOL brilliant!

Next best thing ever: "As Major Steve was generally unconscious while Wonder Woman vanquished evil, this was a new prospect" ROFL! That's just... I mean, you don't even KNOW how strong your writing is in this story. Gah! Sheer genius, sheer wonderful characterization, exposition, description, RYTHYM, Gaah!

and, "Superman's darling cape was especially red today" LOVE. Pure love. And "He longed to carry her in his arms, or the other way around, whichever felt right." more love. Love, love, love! LOL, and love.

And then oh my gosh, the crux of the story, I could have almost hyperventilated from glee. It's all so clever! Every word. Like here: "Lois could barely contain her indifference"

!

Do you KNOW how awesome that is? And then "Steve and Lois's eyes met and they exchanged polite but disdainful smiles, each wondering how the other one had advanced as far in their careers as they had considering their ignorance of the immediate circumstances" OMG that just NAILS it. You absolutely stuck the landing on that one. Pinned it. Cinched it. Bravissimo! ! !

And that's not even the finishing touch. Because something even better happens here: "I have also taken the liberty of contacting Wonder Woman for you, sir, but she is not available today. I was wondering, sir, if perhaps you would like to see the sights of Metropolis with me instead?" Diana looked at Steve longingly, blinking her enlarged blue eyes with some anxiety."

Oh man, how to explain this? Ok. When you mention that Steve is still a "mansel in distress" (love that term, by the way) I just kind of snicker and mutter 'you bet he is.' In that aspect, the Lois_ishness of Steve Trevor has always been a given. But I never realized the true Clark_ishness of Diana Prince. I mean, OK, the glasses. But I swear to God, I never gave a second thought to the similarities between their characters beyond the fact that they both wore glasses. What you've done in this story is truly incredible because you've shown me something glaringly obvious about these characters that I NEVER EVEN REALIZED! ! ! How could I have missed it? Diana Prince is JUST like Clark! Argh! Here at the end of your story, I feel the same pity and sympathy and affection for Lt. Diana Prince as I've felt for Clark Kent for the past fifteen years! ! ! I'm still going nuts over it: This Diana Prince is just like Clark! I mean, DUH, because Steve Trevor is just like Lois. But No! this is radical. And I think I just realized why: I haven't read any fanfiction before that highlights the "patheticness" of Diana like this. Yes, I've read fanfiction with Steve Trevor. I've read fanfiction about Diana Prince the secretary/army nurse/intel officer/woman with glasses who's in love with Steve Trevor. Maybe I just have a thick skull, but it took this caliber of story to finally drive home the point for me that Diana Prince is to Steve Trevor as Clark Kent is to Lois Lane. Brilliant! And SO well written, gaah!

thank you for reminding me of why I read fanfiction. And as for gold stars, here's the bag. You've earned them all. XD
Lara-Van chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
Not liking it that you chose to give Wonder Woman the pansy version of her costume. Screw the skirt, it's utterly unnecessary.

But I LOVE it that Steve figures it out that Clark is Superman... and then Lois realizes that Diana is Wonder Woman... and both of them decide to keep it to themselves. It's just so freakin' perfect. But then, of course, in the sequel, things get hairy, right?

Hint hint hint... Keyword: SEQUEL!

This was FANTASTIC, and I'm going to be terribly sad if there isn't a sequel to this.
Tim chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
this is hilarious. everyone hates steve trevor, but you made him seem OK. the lois was funny too, i love their interaction with clark kent and diana prince. the only question is that can wonder woman fly in the golden age comics? it's not a big deal though. THIS IS HILARIOUS.