Reviews for Mosaic
shywr1ter chapter 1 . 9/14/2008
A way too delayed review - (but this way all the fun of rereading after some time, to enjoy it all almost as if it's all new!)

There are so many wonderful scenes here, a true mosaic making up Logan's life & explaining so much. So many great parts I'd copy it all, but some favorites in addition to those mentioned before:

- his childhood guilt, so young, that he dared be lulled out by the first snow, not only breaking a promise but missing his mother's last moments (the image of digging his fingers into the wool cap and the sensory memory it evokes is lovely).

- his reaction to his father's death still makes me misty:

"Before he can control himself, Logan’s shoulders jerk in a sudden shiver ...

"He is alone."

- "His first kiss feels like crazy sparks, electrifying him down to his feet, which are standing on the pier’s wooden planks, warm and dry from days and days of summer sun." So evocative! I can *feel* the wooden pier...

- "When a nurse comes in with a set of his own clothes some weeks after the shooting, it feels like getting back a part of his dignity." I love this idea, the thought that so much has changed, so much has to be surreal for him (let alone impersonal, undignified) that bringing him back a part of himself is so meaningful (admittedly, something I keep coming back in DA writing, too, the sense of finding something to ground oneself in a crazy world, with so many crazy things working on them...)

- "On the day he tries to shoot himself he’s wearing one of those old, comfortably worn pullovers, warm and scratching, as if trying to remind himself how the world feels like." More of that grounding idea... I particularly like it with Logan, as I like to think he's very sensual, attuned to the feel and richness of things - the candles he has, fine wines, fine cooking - he could just use a light switch, beer or cheap wine, and call out for pizza to meet the same needs, but he doesn't - he understands the difference! A guy like that will notice the way his pullover feels and maybe even what it represents...

-"And while his body is hungrily soaking up every tickle of sensation, Logan tries to think of all the reasons why he deserves to live, why Eyes Only needs to go on, why he can’t do this to people… but in the end it’s not enough. In the end, nothing seems better than what he has left." So sad! It's why he got as far as lifting the gun & chambering the round...

-"There comes the time when every bit of bare skin around Max could mean his death. He becomes obsessed with wearing long-sleeves and turtlenecks, gloves and high-shafted boots, knowing it’s the only way Max will keep seeing him. But even though he maintains a safe distance, tries his best to make her laugh she is drifting away in her horror of killing him and being left behind with all the guilt.

"She used to smile and relax at the sight of him… now all Logan can make out is fear and sadness."

Ah, I don't remember ever seeing this said just this way, with Logan trying to make Max laugh (and assure her they'd be fine), while he sees her pulling away - powerful, heart-wrenching stuff for poor Loogie (and more clothing, now more important than ever!) It makes the reader so sad for all Logan's efforts ..

-which makes the fact that his "old, run-down armor of clothes" will finally be cast off! As always, so glad for a happy ending for them, after all they've gone through to get there-

Lovely images here of lovely Logan! Thanks so much for the views of him (and double sorry for being late to read then late to review!)
Babyangel86 chapter 1 . 9/6/2008
I like the transition from his mothers death to his finally being able to kiss max.

logan is so easy to blame himself for everything... and he's been through so much. it good to see he finally gets a happily ever after.
loz chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
aw
Ion Bond chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
I like this a lot, particularly the second part and the seventh. He's stubborn, and not always in ways that work to his advantage.

These vignettes had a nice sort of arc to them. When I got to the end, it was fun to look at the prompt and read through it again.
BlueAngel137 chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
This is simply beautiful. I love your portray of young Logan, and you picked some great M/L moments for this "mosaic" - nicely done!

Favorites:

-...His first kiss feels like crazy sparks, electrifying him down to his feet, which are standing on the pier’s wooden planks, warm and dry from days and days of summer sun. Their romance is over by the next month, just like it often is with a first summer fling, but that feeling of drunken elation will linger with Logan long into the rainy decay of autumn. ...

(Aw, this is perfect! Wonderfully put into words.)

-... His feet, tingling in their new-won freedom, are bare when Max squeezes them, her stunned smile showing that she’s as thrilled as him about this miraculous development.

Not hesitating a second, she shares her blood, delighted that her wacky genetics aren’t all about killing. There, on the darkened wood of his table, it’s her olive skin against his mild tan, their arms touching, their gaze hopeful and expectant about more than just his legs. ...

(A beautiful description of a magical moment again. :-))

It's really, really a outstandingly beautiful story. THANKS.
Aurora2424 chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
This is just so lovely. I think my favorite part of it is the way you imply, rather than overtly state, many of Logan's essential life lessons, leaving the reader to use his or her knowledge of DA to draw conclusions.

For example: "But she’s a good friend, understands all of his family’s snooty craziness and that is all he needs, all he dares to expect." - this line about his relationship with Daphne not only gives us a good sense of Logan during that period, but also suggests how his eventual relationship with Max will be so much more than what he's had before. It's so well done.

I also really love this: "It remains his only sign of weakness. The sobs which threaten to surface in choking gasps are strangled in the big, fluffy towel, tugging and hugging his almost-teenage body in a faint memory of his mother’s bedtime ritual." - it's such a beautiful way to see the emerging pattern of repression in Logan's character. We see this over and over again in the show.

Finally, I'll glad it's a happy ending... I was worried for a minute it wouldn't be, but was plesantly surprised. Great work!
lisa316 chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
Beautiful! Probably not what was originally intended by Logan in states of undress, but it just goes to show that inspiration comes in all forms, and this story is definately inspired.

favorite parts:

"His first kiss feels like crazy sparks, electrifying him down to his feet, which are standing on the pier’s wooden planks, warm and dry from days and days of summer sun. Their romance is over by the next month, just like it often is with a first summer fling, but that feeling of drunken elation will linger with Logan long into the rainy decay of autumn." Love this whole section, and especially the line about how he didn't feel this sort of spark again until almost a decade later. :-)

"And still, as much as he tries to be sensible and realistic, he can’t quite wipe out that weakly tingling hope which is stubbornly pulsing up every time she smiles at him." This is just part of their magic...that sense of hopeful want. I love this!

"Not hesitating a second, she shares her blood, delighted that her wacky genetics aren’t all about killing. There, on the darkened wood of his table, it’s her olive skin against his mild tan, their arms touching, their gaze hopeful and expectant about more than just his legs." Squee! Melt! Typical fangirl reation! but I thought it was lovely, and especially loved the wording about Max's genetics.

And the ending...the ending was just perfect!
Obsessed Pam chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
This was such a sweet read and though you travelled the whole period of Max and Logan being together using very few words, it flowed so beautifully.