Reviews for A Portrait of the Joker as a Young Man
faeriemelie chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
I liked this concept very much. I wish you had expanded it so that the beginning was more of invitation to think like Jack like you did towards the end, and less just a statement of facts. The end was great; I could see the paint jars sitting in their apartment, and the base from where the Joker began. Good job.
acigarisjustacigar chapter 1 . 3/9/2010
Bloody good :)
Maevainwen Adaniel chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
This is a fantastic story. It's so believable and is written so powerfully. I loved it.

Maevainwen Adaniel
JimandSteve chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
Wow, this has got to be one of the best Joker Orgin stories I have read! Bravo to you :D
The Obsidian Ink chapter 1 . 7/20/2009
That was wonderful! I loved it.

lemeach chapter 1 . 9/6/2008
Wow. This was completely amazing. Jaw dropping. Wow. I truly can't wait until you write again, this was so good :D
PadawanCassy chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
Hey Tel,

Good story, I don't know about everyone else out there, but I like it. Keep up the wonderful work.

Astrolabe chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
This was a very nicely done origin one-shot. Everything is plausible and I really liked the way you exhibited his slide from his old life into the lifestyle that led him to becoming the Joker. I especially liked your passages in the second part regarding how he knew he was working counter to common sense yet had a need to prove to fate that he was in control and he had the ability to turn things around. Despite your saying this is your first attempt at writing something in a modern setting I think you’ve done very well with the phrasing and in keeping to a contemporary style. Your choice of wording, dialogue construction and story flow all worked well within the timeline of the story. None of the wording was overbearing and there was a natural flow and cadence to Jacks thoughts, the dialogue, and the scene descriptions.

I did notice what looked like one typo at the end of the sentence “Rough hands squeezed the hinges of his jaw and forced him mouth open.” The placement of the word “him” here suggests that you meant “his” which would read “his mouth open” or you could have meant to phrase it as “him to open his mouth” either way would work. Otherwise the writing was perfect and I found no other issues with grammar, punctuation, spelling or formatting.

This was a beautifully written piece. Thank you for sharing it, I enjoyed reading your take on the Joker’s origin story.

Elizabeth Tudor chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
I enjoyed this. A good explanation. i particularly liked the title, that was a great book. :) Overall, I liked it!
LaBellaMorte chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
it's nice! :)

one of the best Joker "origin" one-shots i've read
Vaetra chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man! This is really good; it actually seems believable as something that might have happened to him, not too forced or set-up feeling. I like that you do have some references to the later events in the movie, though, just to show how it all ties together. Overall, great job!
springfell7 chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
There are so many Joker Origin stories that it's hard to find a likeable one. Nice job. I like how he eventually spirals down into his Joker persona. Keep writing.