Reviews for The Greatest Gift
oh my God...I don't thinkRhett deserved sucha terrible punishment. It is hard to believe that being 45 years old, he would still choose such a lifestyle, it seemed to me he wished to settle down, not to wonder from place to place. It is hard for me to understand why,in your story, he rejected Scarlett's love. If I understand correctly, it was because he could not forgive himself for Bonnie's death. why then he told that he invisioned Scarlett after drinking that artists' drink, it's as if "I love you but don't come close to me." I find it hard to believe he would have agreed to take part in that horse breeding business-your Rhett is full of contradictions-he is involved in the horse breeding business owned by Scarlett but asks for divorce. I would have liked it if Rhett had taken Ella with him to London or Paris, the girl definitely needed a father figure. I almost cried when he did not react to Ella's statement that she wanted to be special for someone the way I expected he it seems to me that Rhett loved Bonnie more than anyone else. But i think after her death he was too grieved to lead such a lifestyle as you described in the he treated Scarlett poorly at the end, I get the impression that he took for granted her presence at his side as if she owed him her life or something and it was now her turn to pay that wasnot the only one who ruined their marriage, it was unfair of Rhett to tell her that she had five years to prove him she loved him. Though maybe the way you portrayed Rhett is a proof that he had to pay forhis mistakes, but still I feel sorry forhim, now, perhaps, for them both.
gumper chapter 18 . 4/10
positively haunting - cannot get it out of my mind. thank you
Archergirl78 chapter 18 . 9/14/2015
Oh, my goodness. Knowing this wasn't a HEA, I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it was incredible. Beautifully written, sad, yet there was joy, too. This is one of the best stories I've read in a long time.
Guest chapter 18 . 8/22/2015
Well done loved the references to artists and the ending letter was such a great final expression that was just so Rhett. But Scarlett's memory threw off the mood of the piece I was expecting maybe her memory to be the morning Bonnie was born it would have been a good way to complete the circle of life theme.
VanessaHolliday chapter 18 . 1/1/2015
WOW! Just finished reading the entire wonderfully bittersweet gut-wrenching finale to S&R's story in one sitting with tears running down my eyes through most of it (last few chapters SOBBING). Beautifully written. Heart broken that at the time of Bonnie/Melanie's deaths, and going forward, Rhett rejected any chance at redemption, forgiving himself, asking S for forgiveness, love...until his deathbed). Instead he CHOSE once again to run away, & to fall into the empty, self-destructive, dissolute lifestyle that caused his demise). Was this his punishment on himself & Scarlett for their unworthiness? They could have had many happy years together, instead of a few sad weeks *sigh*
devinad chapter 18 . 11/10/2014
wow very good story but i think i cried more then i should have lol thanks for writing
PearlPrincess1 chapter 18 . 10/5/2013
Good Lord I got through it, no more crying for the day!
EugeniaVictoria chapter 1 . 7/14/2013
I just reread this and, my God - what a story. Tearjerker indeed, in the very best of ways. And it's not just that you're a master at describing human emotions, that both Scarlett and Rhett were very much in character and that your writing style is simply gorgeous - lush yet simple - there's something else to this story I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's because it's so tragic, a tale of missed chances and heartbreak, of fate and survival. Maybe it's because it's so realistic. Perhaps their marriage was truly broken and there was no chance for them, only Scarlett did not realise it even if Rhett did. I especially appreciated the way you described his lingering despair over Bonnie's untimely death, I really think that was his breaking point and he never really got over it. Anyway, this story was moving, inspiring, truly beautiful, in short: splendid work.
Firth'sDarcy chapter 18 . 12/16/2012
Till the last sentence, I was holding on to hope that this was a nightmare, and either rhett or scarlett would wake up and reconcile. lol of course i knew that was impossible. You enjoy realism too much to make a happy ending. I would have loved for you to have rekindled some of Rhett's love for her, but I admit it made more sense that it would only be in the form of...fondness, as he said. This was such a tragic story. You now have to make up for it, if you ever come back to ff and finish Springtime in Savannah...not that that story seems any happier...
Firth'sDarcy chapter 14 . 12/16/2012
Well, this is depressing. I wish you put a little more of Scarlett's life in this story. Rhett's life is too hard on my S&R heart...
Firth'sDarcy chapter 10 . 12/16/2012
It's hard to be so furious at Rhett when he's so weak and pleading.
Firth'sDarcy chapter 8 . 12/15/2012
My heart genuinely broke while reading about Scarlett's "box". The poor woman is desperately holding on. It's so tragic.
Firth'sDarcy chapter 9 . 12/15/2012
Dammit! stop this! this is too hard for me! But your writing is brilliant! Rhett is such an asshole. I don't care about what he said to Scarlett about him not wanting her to 'find out', he bought Celine specifically to rub it in her face. Ugh. I hated him so much in this chapter. And I was always just about to start crying...poor Scarlett.
Firth'sDarcy chapter 8 . 12/15/2012
I'm loving the Dan-Scarlett relationship. I actually wish they'd gotten together...
Firth'sDarcy chapter 7 . 12/15/2012
Why would Rhett want to throw Celine in Scarlett's face? Argh, it always annoys me how the man can act like a child even though he's nearly 20 years Scarlett's senior.