Reviews for The Roots of Heaven
SilveredFoxeh chapter 36 . 11/29/2015
Thank you so much for writing! You and all the wonderful people who helped you make this happen! You all deserve a round of applause. I just wanted to leave some words of thanks, and appreciation for how well you guys handled this whole story and pairing. It was a pleasure to read and I actually had forgotten how much I could like this pairing. So thank you again for that and doing such a nice job!
Kari Izumi chapter 1 . 2/28/2015
This is easily the gold standard of OT3 fics, not just for this threesome, or Bleach, but every fandom I've been a part of. All the dynamics between the three of them are explored and developed equally well.

But even outside of that, their other relationships to important people in their pre-adventure lives are addressed to, such as Orihime's unrequited crush and Hinamori and Renj's friendship. All done beautifully. Same with the OC characters...none of them took away from the story. It's one of a handful of stories that I can say that about.

Plus, as a nice bonus,I picked up about fifteen new vocabulary words from reading this story, as the language was gorgeous in here. I'll be honest to say I wasn't crazy about Renji's accent being spelled out, but it's a very minor nitpick to what I'd say is one of the most professional level stories to grace this site. I hope you're going pro one day.

Great job.
Guest chapter 36 . 2/21/2013
I'm unsure how to describe it, but the part where they're trying to find Rukia... it gave me a very surreal feeling, as if I was walking through a dream. I liked that. I found the characters still very true, and even though I don't know how I feel about the IchigoXRukiaXRenji, I think I can appreciate it in a way of how it comes together in your story.
Evan Glaser chapter 36 . 11/26/2012
I am ever so grateful that a story like this is in existence. There are not enough stories that can bring up ideas and relationships like these and come to a completely logical conclusion without straining the bounds of reality or of the characters. For the Bleach 'verse, this is by far my OT3, and this is also one of, if not the best, story I've ever read featuring these three.

You made some risky decisions in constructing this story: the tense, the non-monogamy, the memory loss, the alternate realm, the amount of OCs, and so on. All of these have been used to death on this website, but rarely are they used in such capable hands. It just goes to show that how a story is constructed is just as important as with what elements the story is constructed. The prose is elegant and the diction, while diverse and sometimes unexpectedly exotic, is never unnecessary or flowery. The dialogue is so true to the characters in what it reveals and at the same time attempts to skirt or obfuscate. It is amazing that they can understand each other at all, sometimes, from the lack of words they use to explain themselves, and yet we know that they can based on canon.

I literally stayed up all night, at one point, because I could not stop reading, and I still had to take another night just to get to the finish. Excellent, excellent work.
xSakuraBlossom chapter 36 . 2/27/2012
Wow. This was a great read! Granted, I'm not usually a huge fan of this particular threesome, but it works well here. I loved your characterization of everyone in the story, and the plot was also intriguing enough that I didn't ever get bored. However, the whole losing memory thing is a little overused, though I guess you deal with it in a different way than most do.

I think my favorite part is still the last few chapters, when they're figuring out their feelings for each other and coming to terms with the fact that they each love two people. You were able to portray each person's feelings in a believable way, quite well at that. It's rare to find such clear descriptions in fanfiction, where much of the writing is by amateur writers (myself included T.T)

Another thing. I loved the present tense that you used! Often people don't like it, but I've always really loved reading stories in present tense. Not too sure why... But that's beside the point. Just saying, I liked it, it worked really well for me.

Ok, I think I've gone on enough. Going to read some other stories of yours now.

Great job, keep writing~
A Wayfarer chapter 36 . 12/6/2011
Beautiful and epic.

Loved the characterization; pacing seemed slow at first but really allowed everything to come together in the end. Spent the entire night reading this and no regrets about any of it.
Kuroi-cho-tsuki-shiro chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
I printed out your story on about 50pages of teeny font so that I could take the last 13 chapters to tokyo with me as holiday reading.

Absolutely awesome. Where do I start?

First off, your world totally stayed with me. Both the familiarity and strangeness of Yellow Springs. It was completely real to me.

Particular scenes I loved: Renji's torture was well done without being over the top. Ichigo and Rukia rescuing him was great, especially their ruse, and the way you described Ichigo handling Rukia's zanpakuto and the weird bond between the shinigami and their swords. The final scene in Yellow Springs is completely epic. You write fight scenes so wonderfully. The scene where Rukia finally broke down on Byakuya nearly made me cry. It was so delicately handled. I also enjoyed Rukia and Renji travelling down to the coast to find Ichi on holiday. I was catching a train down from Tokyo to the coast myself the following day and it kept making me recall it. Ichigo and Rukia kissing - I couldn't stop grinning at the remark about her hair getting in his face! Over all, just brilliant.

My only criticism is that I want more! I want to know if she ever gets her memories back, and there were all the suggestions of negotiations continuing with Yellow Springs. I wanted to see how that worked out and to go back into that world!
Kuroi-cho-tsuki-shiro chapter 10 . 8/3/2011
Darn it, there's too much of this for me to print I think, but it's getting so exciting.

I knew they would have to meet in the end. I like how Rukia believes she's now Renji's enemy.

Good fight scene! I like the blood and guts! Okay, onto the next chapter. :)
Kuroi-cho-tsuki-shiro chapter 6 . 8/2/2011
Am going on holiday. Am now wondering if I have enough paper to print the rest of your story and take it with me as a holiday read.

Brilliant! I love the developing relationship between the two boys. Not sure how Ichigo resisted the urge to step in and be heroic at one point. And Renji cut his hair! Shocking stuff.

Sometimes you use just the right words; Shirayuki's description to Rukia of what had happened to her "you were - splintered." Great timing and great style.
Kuroi-cho-tsuki-shiro chapter 5 . 8/2/2011
I still love the descriptions here, of Renji meeting Zabimaru by the bamboo water pump, of the ash drifting in the breeze and of Rukia and her zanpakuto. I love the world you've created and how it is both familiar and alien.

My fave bits were Rukia, in Ichigo's dream, saying "I have no need to cheat." So brilliantly arrogant and straight to the point. And Ichigo's thoughts when he realises he and Renji are talking about their motivations for saving her: "they didn't need to talk about it like two girls at a sleepover." Made me lol. I could just see him thinking that.
Kuroi-cho-tsuki-shiro chapter 2 . 8/1/2011
Oh gods, this is so beautifully written! It takes me into another world completely and I am utterly blown away. I really hope that you either complete this or continue as I absolutely intend to read through to the end.

The two guys are brilliant together! Such a pleasure to read; you have the slightly antagonistic relationship down pat. I am, of course, fascinated by where they are and where they're going.

I can't believe renji is betting Zabi. I have to come back to this later though it grates to leave it on a cliffhanger.

Wonderful metaphors, lyrical writing. Just beautiful and utterly compelling.
Estella May chapter 36 . 6/24/2011
I downloaded this off AO3 a while ago but didn't get around to finishing it until now. This story is amazing! I loved the Chinese mythology that you included. It worked so well with the world of Bleach.
MindlessAbandon chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
This is EPIC! AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL!

A WORK OF ART!

I love it to bits! I'm not a fan of adventure fics but your story convinced me otherwise.. it got me hooked from the very start! I stumbled upon it by recommendations.. I was looking for a great ot3 story that wasn't bland and outrageously far-fetched. This story was downright worthy of such recs. I am sure to rec this. This was just lovely. from the plot to the characterization and the emotional build-up .. everything fit like a puzzle! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! you also made me like renruki.. and my OT3 now would always be ichirukiren.. thanks to you!

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WRITING! I'll check your other stuff too! THANKS SO MUCH!

take care~
Rishtalak chapter 36 . 4/25/2011
If Shonen Jump wouldn't spontaneously combust, I could see this happening for real. In short, you stayed true to the characters and made the story believable. I loved Broken Bough and the hint of foreshadowing about Rukia's quest for her bankai. Perhaps one day you'll continue this verse and we'll get to see it.
rotorviator chapter 36 . 2/7/2011
My goodness.

I seem to have just spent a full day and a half doing pretty much nothing but reading this. I've just finished (read the version of the last chap that was on your lj) and I'm feeling slightly stunned. Like falling over and not being able to stop your head from slamming back onto the ground.

WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE REVIEWS! D: If I had the time (which I certainly don't, considering I've just spent nearly every minute of today that I could spare reading this, and now I need to do work and sleep and all) then I'd happily post a hundred more. There should be reviews tenfold.

It's just sublime. See, I never use that word, even though I use a lot of words, 'cause I've always wanted to save it for something just right. Just, sublime. This totally was, is, will always be, whatever. Sublime in every way. Beautiful. Strong. Brilliant. There were so many facets to it, so many roads to travel, so many sides and shifts and shining clarity of writing that I found myself re-reading sections, just to try and commit them to memory. Just so I knew them.

I could rant on for a very long time and probably also thoroughly embarrass myself in the process, but I'll keep it (relatively) brief. Essentially, you're incredible. Utterly, absolutely. You win.

It's pretty much inspired me ridiculously, too. Not to write something the same, or to necessarily use your ideas, even, but to keep writing 'till I'm as good as you are, no matter how long it takes. It might take a while.

But basically, what I mean is THANK YOU! :D