Reviews for The Eagles are Coming
vectis chapter 1 . 10/7/2008
'The Eagles are coming' - I liked the way you have used the contrast of this statement, bringing great hope in Tolkien's tale and utter hopelessness in yours, to such great effect.

Sorry, I have been trying to write a review for this for several days, but found it such a heart-renching tale of sadness and utter despair that I've not been able to write down what I wanted to say. I suppose, that as a writer, that means you have written a very successful piece of writing - well done!
Lamiel chapter 1 . 10/5/2008
The loss of my personal computer has limited my opportunities for fanfic, but here I am at last catching up on my favorite authors.

This is just a fantastic AU. It's plausible, dark, realistic and unbearably sad. Now I wonder how it is that the Ring did NOT slip from Bilbo's finger when he lost consciousness. It is exactly the sort of thing It would do.

I love how you use the limited space to your advantage, building one devastating element upon another. Erond's death. Thranduil's. The destruction of Mirkwood and Lothlorien. I'm glad that you didn't mention the Shire explicitly. It's too easy to imagine its fate as it is. And the turning of the Eagles into spirits of darkness, harbringers of doom rather than hope, is a master stroke.

Lovely work, as always.
leralonde chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
Wow. That was wonderful. I loved how the first line of the story and the last are the same, but with a totally different meaning. And with little Estel in there, so innocent. Maybe someone sneaks him out the backdoor and 70 years later there is a revolt against evil. What do you say?
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 9/6/2008
Oh, what a story, Thundera! That so small a change could bring across so much destruction, is a thing we all forget too easily. And the twist of the meaning to that hopeful line has been done marvelously, here. Great stuff! Thank you for writing and sharing!
Starset chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
I love the way you write - this almost brought tears to my eyes.

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?
Laurenke1 chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
Did the Eagles turn evil or are they swooping in to tell them the tidings and bear them to Valinor?

Very nice story. Very grim and dark but very well writen. One of my favourites

now how about that fellowsip journey? *nudges in the right directin* you know what story I mean, want to know wat else will happen
PurpleHat chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
Very well written and an interesting AU.

The ending is very grim and leaves the reader not a shadow of hope for Middle-earth.
JastaElf chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
Dear Gods... oh so powerful, dark, and horror-filled. I'm glad to see the unique viewpoint of Erestor as the lynch-pin for the whole story-lovely touch, that. And the use of "The Eagles are coming!" as the repeated phrase with all its implications... just stunning, powerful, frightening. Gods...

Thank you. You know how I adore dark angst... :) This is just wonderful in a dark and sorrowful way!
Charli800 chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
Brr! Yes, that was very dark. Your writing is excellent, but I thought your story could have used a little more in the way of a plot. I found myself wading through parts of it, because there was nothing at all to pull me on. Perhaps, however, I am just a lazy reader.

Charli
Lady Ambreanna chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
You killed off all our favorite Elfies? HOW COULD YOU? MEANIE!

I mean...I enjoyed this story very much! Thank you!
Aldalena chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
:D Wow, another story from you already!

And such a tragic and frightening story it is...

The first time the eagles arrived was joyful, but the second time marked the end of...oh, it's too horrible a thought...! T_T

Thranduil and Elrond dead, and I'm assuming the Lorien Elves including Celeborn and Galadriel as well... Legolas and Gimli would never meet and become close friends and sail across the sea together, Estel would never become a king...Middle-Earth would be overrun with Orcs and all sorts of nasty creatures... *Sobs* I'm so grateful this isn't canon...

And now I must go to bed... *Sniff* After I read another more cheerful fanfic perhaps, or I'll have nightmares over this one... T_T it was excellent, however! Your stories are always so wonderfully well-written!

I apologize if I wasn't making sense, it's quite late here...or should I say very, very early? _
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
*whispers reverently* She wrote Erestor... O.o.

Wow, this is incredible. Dark, gloomy, downright depressing, but brilliant. I LOVE the parts from Erestor's POV. I think you captured exactly what would have happened had Bilbo indeed lost the ring in that moment. Excellent what if scenario.

And did I mention how awed I am that you wrote Erestor? ERESTOR! Eru, I love that elf, and now I have a mental image of him with a spear... *fans face* :) I'm going to go read it again now.

Thank you for sharing!
lady angst chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
Well, that was very dark, very AU, and very wonderful.

I'm rather sad it was a one-shot though.
bethellie chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
Oh, what a dark way to go. Still so interesting and as always beautiful to read.
elvensecret chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
it always fascinates me how one little thing can change history (whether it's real history or not!). excellent as usual! but very sad! poor elves! but it was very well-written and i liked the fact that you told it through Erestor's point of view. the last few lines were the perfect ending. great job!
33 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »