Reviews for Satsuma: The Wandering Years
notsolimpbizkit chapter 3 . 9/1/2013
What an excellent story... Loved the characters and the realistic plot... I'm glad you pulled no punches in driving home the tragedy. Brilliant!
skepsis66 chapter 3 . 2/2/2010
Wow... deep. It's certainly well-constructed, and entirely feasible. All of these people are written with distinctive character - I like it :)
Althea M chapter 3 . 10/10/2009
This was wonderful. Just the right touch of melancholy. It gives a good blueprint for any future encounters with women or children Kenshin may have. I liked that Kenshin could meet 'the enemy' and be treated honorably. Sanada was a man who adapted without compromising his humanity. I also like that, seeing how Sanada could read Miura, Kenshin was aware that he knew very little about Tomoe and that it caused him to wonder if he ever would have learned how to 'read her.

A nice 'Wandering Years' fic.

Embers of Inspiration chapter 3 . 7/7/2009
That was really quite beautiful. Poor Miura, she's befuddled and sick all at the same time. Then she thinks she's in love with Kenshin.

Aw, kawaii! Very well written.

Hoping inspiration finds you well,

Ember
thelazyreader chapter 3 . 5/1/2009
Excellent! There are so few stories about Kenshin's wandering years. The only part that seemed out of place to me was where Kenshin agreed to take Miura if she wanted to come with him. The implications of that were obvious, and I doubt Kenshin would allow himself to become so attached to another woman so soon after the war. I expected him to say something like 'Out of the question' right away.
Heather Logan chapter 3 . 2/28/2009
So sad! I'm glad Sanada is there to care for her. He's a good guy.

Wow, what a tragedy. This is well-written, and captures the unfairness of life when things just keep going wrong.

About Kenshin's interactions with Kaoru: I think there's a little more there. I think, to tell his friends about Tomoe, I think Kenshin truly felt that even if they'd accepted him knowing who he'd been during the revolution and what he'd done then, that to learn about Tomoe and what he'd done to her would horrify them and ruin everything. I think he thought that if they knew that, they could never accept him. I think that's why even though Kaoru, Sano, Yahiko really cared about him, he couldn't be there 100%, because Tomoe was always standing between him and them. That to get closer to Kaoru (especially), he would have to tell her, and that she would surely care about that even though she hadn't cared about the rest of his past. (Of course, he was wrong about that.) Without Enishi showing up and catalyzing things, would Kenshin ever have been able to move forward? I'm not sure. Anyway, that's my take, only about half thought through.

Nice fic; poignant. I had a feeling there was something between Sanada and Miuri when Sanada first showed up, and that there was something more complicated going on with Miuri in her reaction to him. I was a little worried that they were already betrothed and/or married and that Kenshin would wind up with the sharp end of Sanada's sword for getting in the middle! Fortunately Sanada is not such a hotheaded guy as that. It's good to be ignored as lower-class and therefore unimportant sometimes.
Heather Logan chapter 2 . 2/28/2009
"Harvesting sweet potatoes used an entirely different set of muscles than swordplay." Hoo boy, I can see how those muscles are going to be sore!

And a very interesting twist at the end of the chapter. This is Sanada's home?
Heather Logan chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
E! Somehow this very first chapter seems to me to end on a cliffhanger.

As always, I love the strong visuals and the sense of atmosphere. I can see everything that's happening, and can practically smell the dirt and hear the ox snort and flap its ears. I love the doctor, too! XD

It's interesting to see Kenshin trying to moderate his way of interacting with people, after having been used to exchanging commands on the battlefield. I wonder also how the Hagiwaras' political affiliations have affected their perception among their neighbors.

Yes, finally reading this, after way too long... ;
amamiya chapter 3 . 2/11/2009
Beautifully written. You managed to fit so much into just three chapters, and your OCs were wonderfully drawn. I enjoyed your use of words in the action scene, and the way Sanada didn't react in typical fashion upon realising Kenshin's true identity. Also drawing upon Kenshin's past experience with Tomoe through his encounter with Miura was skilfully done.

Cool :)
Hidari chapter 3 . 12/9/2008
Beautiful. Is this new? Why haven't I seen this before? It's short but very lovely. Somehow I can just imagine Kenshin being his usual self and unconsciously breaking hearts all over the place.
nancy chapter 3 . 12/4/2008
I love your writing, very touching! I think what you added fits in with kenshin's life perfectly. I donit remember if I have already asked this of you, so im going to ask again; can you send a link to my e-mail with your fanfiction stories that you have done so far? my e-mail

I hope that you will keep on writing stories about Kenshin. I love that anime, it one of my all time faves! it never seems to get old to me. Keep up the good work! If you become a real writer someday will you let me know what you book is called? (just in case. (n.n) )

bye for now! *waves*
anaemicfaeries chapter 3 . 11/27/2008
wow that was a sweet story and introspective look, into Kenshins feelings towards Tomoe and her death...You explained kenshins, 'hopeful perseverance', very well.

ahh Miura's fainting makes sense now , she suffers form consumption just like Okita.

Liked the symbol of the broken buddha and how kenshin fixes it,'...Broken hearts could be had to believe that for himself..' it makes up for Hirose's unfortunate death!

xx anaemicfaeries
anaemicfaeries chapter 2 . 11/27/2008
there seems to be alot more to the Hagiwara family..especialy with sanadas appearance

aww its nice to see Kenshin opening up about Tomoe with Hirose, liked this line in particular...' If only he could cry away his memories, his particular sorrows and regrets..'

another great chapter!
anaemicfaeries chapter 1 . 11/27/2008
Yes it is nice to read stories concerning Kenshins 'wandering years'!

A very enjoyable read, especially the initial description of the different landscapes Kenshin encountered

hm wonder why Kenshi feels uneasy about hirose being in Hokkaido...

And you can see Kenshins gradual change from battousai into the altruistic rurouni, LOVED it!
Sailor GaOn Donut chapter 3 . 10/24/2008