Reviews for The French Affair

Spectacular writing though.

Rev
BlackRevenant chapter 1 . 10/19/2013
Hmmm.

I am not sure if I dig it or not.

I've seen this story recommend by a lot of people and a lot of places (DLP for example) but I never checked it out cause the summary kinda put me off, wasn't what I was looking for in a story ya know?

Today I decided to give it a try.

Still not quite convinced.

Mostly cause I don't understand the situation.

Probably why I dont read mysteries.

Why is Harry in a cell? Why is Fluer having an affair? Its kinda like this story jumped right into the middle.

Which means that I have to read another chapter or two before I get my bairings. Which is kinda hard cause I don't think I want to.

But I cant just stop reading lol.

Flustraiting.

Rev
Eve chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
Good start. I like!
Burkean chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
Two quick typos from the '08 material:

"She smiled, as his eyes didn’t *left* her body, while mentally suppressing a snort."

"was where the stealth *end* evading ended."

I've only read the DLP draft, but there were plenty of opportunities to tighten up the language, if you had the energy for another crack at this chapter.

The French accent grates quickly.

The sword play felt contrived, and unwelcome at the end of a very long action scene. I cringed when A. got back up after Fleur thought her KOed.

I understand you're playing with spy movie tropes, but I hope you can deliver some sympathetic characters or motives as a side-order to the general badassery. Even if these evaporate by the end- as they did in Unatoned.

Thanks for writing. I'll get current with this fic, time allowing.
Bill The Door chapter 4 . 12/17/2012
Sooooo... What's in the bag?
Emeraldfireblade chapter 2 . 11/22/2012
Again, feels very James Bond-y, but I works quite well for this story. Pity about the bond-girl, er, I mean Ines. Guess Harry's 'saving people thing' was as little rusty.

If you established Ana's character to make Fluer seem more sympathetic, then congradulations and job well done, I can't stand her. I am cuirous how Harry and Ana came to be a couple, but frankly, I'm hoping they break up as soon as possible.

I loved the chase scene and your attention to detail is wonderful. Oddly enough, I find myself hoping for a broomstick chase scene at some point.

I also wonder where your Harry's true allegiance lies. He doesn't seem to feel much love for Wizarding Britain. Perhaps in a 'spy vs spy' setting story such as this, he could be a mercenary for hire?

Great chapter and I love the length. On to chapter 3.

Guardian of the Sacred Emerald Flames
MisanthropicPrinciple chapter 4 . 11/21/2012
I'm really very fond of this story and where it's headed. Having re-read everything again before this installment, I'm getting a sense that there's something, some piece of information, in that file that wasn't meant to be generally known, and that that's what Fleur is looking for in the prologue. Please tell me it's something suitably delicious, perhaps that both Scrimgeour and his French counterpart, who just happens to be a DE or sympathetic to that agenda, are conspiring together and their goal is both destabilize both nations sufficiently to use war powers to take dictatorial control.

I hope you update soon. I'm a sucker for spy thrillers and this is very much like a Fleming novel with wands instead of PPKs.
Emeraldfireblade chapter 1 . 11/21/2012
Definetely a different style of story from Unatoned, but I quite liked it. Felt like a James Bond movie.

Guardian of the Sacred Emerald Flames
JukedSolid chapter 4 . 11/4/2012
oh thank goodness this isnt dead. I had worried as much from your last authors note. i suspect youll pick it back up when Unatoned is finished? which is fantastic as well btw. the best word to describe the general pace and tone of the stories you write is "riveting." iM totally hooked anyway. definitely keeping this one in my sights. have a good week. -JukedSolid
JukedSolid chapter 2 . 11/4/2012
Dammit all! why is this story on haitus?! this chapter was incredible as well! felt very...robert ludlum haha. not necessarily the writing but definitely the scene. what is in that bag?! what is ana hiding that ines obviously knew about? is it the same thing fleur wants from Harry? So many questions!
JukedSolid chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
aw man this first chapter is awesome! i really hope the next few chapters arent very good because it would be shame for this to go unfinished. i notice the pairs you make dont usually seem likely to get their happily ever after. intersting, but tragic. i kind of like the idea of Harry and Fleur too. best to cut all that weasleys out of the picture and have the pretty ones left over. anyhow have a great week. -JukedSolid
G Fawkes chapter 3 . 9/22/2012
See, I CAN learn... Just when I was about to 'go off' on some of the word usage here, I thought to check the bio first, and what da' ya' know: ANOTHER writer with the b*lls to translate their fic to english. Still too terrified to begin my first fic, even IN english, (because I'm a perfectionist, and it would never get 'good enough' to post) I just can't even say how much I admire ANYONE posting in other than their native script. I guess 'plane trees' isn't all that big of a deal anymore!
BTW, really good action scenes, also. Too many people fall flat when the 'adrenaline' is supposed to spike and things should be moving ten times faster, but not here.
GBTtown chapter 4 . 9/7/2012
A very very intriguing mystery. I hope, even after this much time, that you will try to complete the story. I understand the vagaries of muse but, you have written the beginning of a very enjoyable post-War fic. I like the OCs you have created and you have kept their motivations obscure even at this point. Will this be a case of "international intrigue" or simply "greed"?
I will say that Harry is written a bit... dense. I don't need a budding James Bond... well not immediately (though there was an enjoyable story written that way) but, a brain dead Harry was something too often found in canon and most enjoyably avoided in fanon.
sambrooke chapter 4 . 7/7/2012
This is the best written story I've read from you. The story flows really well, making it a pleasure to read. I suppose some credit goes to our beta readers, but it is still your story. It's a shame this story has such an "absymal update rate" (your words), because I'm really curious about the mystery.

The prologue is current time-five years after the fall of Voldemort. The war against Voldemort changed Harry drastically and to illustrate that, Harry was willing to help Daphne's family in exchange for a one-night-stand with her. In fact, Harry seems willing to go after any good looking girl. Even in the presence of his girlfriend Ana.

The chapters afterwards start 3 weeks prior to the prologue and are working towards the time of the first chapter. Anastasia "Ana" Scrimgeour-Dupont is working as a spy for the British, and has caused Harry to become involved in her covert operations. It caused Inès Martinez-someone who Ana was to meet in secret-to die. And now Harry (along with every other British national) is deported from France and banned from returning.

At the same time as British operatives are working on French soil, French operatives are working on British soil (I believe it's them having broken into the Hogsmead apartment). Given Fleur's clothing, I believe I can assume that she works for the French too (the Department of National Integrity?). I's a bit unclear how foreign spies can operate on French soil because of The Border (which is basically a ward line combined into some sort of dome over France that prevents unauthorised transport by magical means).

Apparently, Harry has 'something' (referred to as 'it'), and Harry has it in his mind so Fleur couldn't kill him. You have yet to reveal how Harry ended up in a British prison, but it'll probably be related to Harry sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Meaning the incident in St Tropez. In fact, the secret is probably related to information about how to pass The Border, which the secret meeting in St Tropez was all about. Or who tried to assassinate Ana during the World Cup. Or both.

Romantically, Harry goes from Ana (to Inès in his dreams) to Fleur in reality. What's up with Harry shagging spies?

There is something interesting, you can easily gloss over. Neither Ana nor Harry had 'it' on their person. Did Ana put it outside the Border Line while she was in the mines, quite a distance below the sea?

I think I have the most important pieces of the puzzle. Well...I forgot to mention that Floo Powder is something which France holds a monopoly on. But the story is too short for now, to put the pieces together.

Thanks for a wonderful story.
Guest chapter 4 . 6/29/2012
This is the first time I have ever left a review of any fanfic I have read. I really enjoy the intrigue and attention to detail that is provided in this story so far. Looking forward to the future chapters.