Reviews for John Winchester and the Four Universal Truths
Veryfairygirl14 chapter 1 . 7/15/2011
Hauntingly beautiful and sad. It's good that John never revealed the third law of fatherhood. It's a law of all parents and it's a pain that can never be really described when the scale of parental love doesn't tip in your favor. But it was cruel to let Sam have his illusion of fairness. Life is not fair. Letting your child believe otherwise is not only a lie but a cruel one.
waywardnomad chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
"In that moment...John had known that he would never tell Dean the truth. In that moment, his love for Dean had been as it should have been, a white-hot flame that consumed everything in its path, a merciless napalm that had threatened to consume him from the inside."

Greatest. Line. Ever.

I'm a Dean Girl at heart, and this story absolutely broke mine. Poor sacrificial Dean. Poor disillusioned John. And poor oblivious Sam. Gorgeous story. I just want to keep reading, to hear more about John's thoughts throughout the seasons. To comprehend how he felt when he made the trade - his life for Dean's. Was it to make up for that third secret? Or was it still for Sam - because Sam needed Dean, not the other way around?
PlayKate chapter 1 . 10/15/2008
Very well written. Perhaps the cruelest, most heartbreaking SPN fic I've ever read. Hello angst, my old friend.
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
I do not like John Winchester one little bit, not even after reading your eloquent interpretation of him-I have never been able to see him as anything other than what you put in such a damningly lovely fashion: a squanderer of children. HIS children.

But I read your story because I knew the language would be erudite and beautiful, and it was. Sometimes it was the juxtaposition of ideas ("sowing oats in the wheat fields" and "industrial woad") or fantastical descriptions (the jukebox, celluloid kudzu) or unexpected image (the Pentecostal snake dance, the Willy Wonka stigmata). Sometimes it was the easily-inserted details, as with John's memories of the Nam and with the Biblical/hymnal references. And sometimes it was the evocative expressive, as with pieces of Mary's dying sun anointing Sam with ash, or with Sam's mouth full of questions. The 'graph about the "deep, swooning terror" was just stunning. I think you made excellent use of virtually every word.

There was more than just language, of course: I loved Sam's fervid rebuff of the truth at Bobby's kitchen table, and Dean's stolid self throughout.

I gasped aloud and said a very bad word when you made me believe that John would tell Dean the third secret.

And while I still do not like the man the least little bit, and give him no sympathy, I'm still glad I read your paean to him. Lovely, lovely work.
Somebody Once chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
This was absolutely amazing. What a heartbreaking choice and perfect end, so John saves Sam, but Sam saves Dean, wonderful. Your John is perfectly fleshed out and painstakingly human. Brilliant job on this.
DeanCastiel chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
Aw i loved it. The sad part is that i think it is true that you may not want to but you love one kid more then the other even if it is subconsciously. Aw i am A Dean girl all the way and it was really good cause you showed how everyone always says Sam is the hard done by one but when you think about it Dean gave up the most!

I loved this you are an awesome writer

Christine
Vampyvii chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
Very poignant story - You have quite a way with words!
novashanti chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
I like it. And I'm so glad John never told Dean.