Reviews for The Summer Country
CaptMacKenzie chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
I don't know if you're still interested enough to read reviews of your old fics anymore, but I thought I'd give you my kudos.

I actually navigated here out of sheer frustration after coming to the end of the unfinished "Save for the Grace" ... I *SO* wished for you to have finished it, or at least posted one more chapter, *somewhere* on the web (it was such a fabulous story-concept, and your characterization was promising big payoff if you had only written a few chapters more...which apparently you never did).

Anywho, I ended up here, and on a lark decided that "Summer Country" looked promising. It fulfilled that promise, and far exceeded my expectations! Elseworlds stories can be SO much fun if creatively done, but it's easy to botch them up. You kept all the factors in balance. The Marvel characters are still themselves despite the different setting; and you added in delicious ironies in fashioning their altered life circumstances. If you didn't do any serious research on the era & culture while fashioning their backstories, then you've done an excellent job faking it!

Every one of the characters had a decent amount of "screen time", none dominating over his fellows in the narrator's overall focus. I was left with a very satisfying feeling at story's end, concerning both the overall plot arc and the development of each significant figure in the story. Each role was pitch-perfect!

I do hope you have sequels, after all.

(...but perhaps, not as much as I hope that you will someday - soon! - be inspired to finish "Save for the Grace". Even if it's a couple quickie chapters & a relatively short coda, I least want to know what you had in mind for the two Jubilees' futures)

The sole criticism I can offer is this: ALWAYS put some kind of visual clue when you break from one scene to the next. Many, many were the times when I had to re-read paragraphs because it took me a while to catch on that you were suddenly talking about another situation entirely, in a different location, from another character's point of view. Bad: very bad!
nameless chapter 1 . 10/19/2007
Imaginative and well ended. Left enough room for several spinoffs, but finished the first epic cleanly. Look forward to some other work from you
Fizzing Wizard chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
This is absolutely excellent! I enjoyed every minute of it. It's very original, and yet everyone is so in character. (Even Warren - I don't dislike him either, but you just played with the lecherous and vindictive side of his personality, so it still works.) My only complaint would be that Kurt got knocked out of the final battle - but that's pretty typical of our poor Elf. The writing and plot is phenomenal. I hope you post more of your work soon!
Liz chapter 1 . 8/12/2004
I know that this has been up here for a while, so you probably won't see/read this review. Regardless, I figured that I'd mention how awesome it is. I loved the way that everyone managed to fit in without making it into a sucky, 'olden days powers, yay!' was so long (in a good way) and detailed, and it finished on a very satisfying note. I'm off to read the sequels now.

I seriously love your writings.
SugarIcing chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
SUPERBULUS! you are my new writing idol. i bow before you and your keyboard. this is REALLY cool. i swear...AH! I SWEARED! *gets soap* BAD ARIANA, BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD! sorry. You are the best writer that ever wrote a written story that was written on that was written by you in such a wonderfully written way! _ my head hurts...

icing :P

green is good...o_O _ just kidding...BLACK IS BETTEW!
Jadesfire chapter 1 . 7/23/2003
Superb! If it was in a book it would have been a real page-turner (screen-scroller perhaps?). The characters were captured perfectly, as was the whole atmosphere of the British countryside.

Am off to read the sequels!
Seinaru Kibou no Tenshi chapter 1 . 6/29/2003
Wow. This is amazing. British history has always been a fascination of mine, and you have incorporated the X-Men universe so elegantly into it.

I run a Gambit archive called LeBeau Library, and would love to have it for there: lebeaulibrary
Valiowk chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
I was highly recommended to read this story, and I must say that it exceeded my expectations greatly! It's a beautiful story, well-researched, and appropriate to its time period. You managed to associate each of the X-Men with their AU persona well, and it's very natural.

It broke my heart when I read about Angel and the part which said "and to anything else but the chirurgeon who stood over him saying that to save his life they must amputate his wings".

Don't worry, I never even thought that you might have anything against him!
Outsider looking in chapter 1 . 4/24/2003
Sucked. Too long. Purple prose. I think you get the picture.
Daibhid Chiennedelh chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Wow. That was amazing. Going straight on to read the sequels. Although it's AU, I loved the way you got real history and mythology to fit so well (Making Sinister a Saxon, of course, because Essex was a Saxon kingdom, and then you get the Saxon Marauders, perfect!)
ninamonkey chapter 1 . 1/26/2002
Excellent, excellent fic. Mind, I read the sequel before this but it didn't diminish a thing. I loved your attention to detail, and how you chose to use each character in a special way. I'm definitely looking forward to Part III...
One Man Army chapter 1 . 1/24/2002
Great story. I was glued to the screen for almost a hour reading.
stayd03 chapter 1 . 1/17/2002
great story, very intelligent. It sort of reminds me of Tolkin. I realy like your story, it's much more fun than those run-of-the-mill fantasy stories. Don't worry about any historical facts that you might of messed up on, most everyone who reads this is American, and we're pretty pathetic when it comes history. One sugestion, break this story up into chapters, it'll be easer to read that way, and more supensful.
Shadowfax chapter 1 . 11/15/2001
Wow. This... this was just awesome. Just the hugeness of the scope... and

yet at the same time, it was intensely personal and intimate. Wow. It was just...

awesome. ] I loved how you found places for so many familiar faces to pop

up in. Also, though the "main" characters- Scott, Jean, Xavier, Logan- appeared

they weren't overused like they sometimes are. I mean, Logan was there but

he wasn't dominating the story like can often happen. And though I wished

Warren could have been a good guy, that duel was priceless. Only thing wrong

I could find was that it seemed to just cut off at the end. I wanted to know

more... but if you're working on a sequel, then I guess that's taken care of. ]
ChaosWEAPON chapter 1 . 11/14/2001
OH. MY. FREAKING. GOSH. This fict...is INCREDIBLE! You obviously researched a lot to do this, comic-verse and reality! The emotions, the plot, the...the...EVERYTHING is simply beyond description! And the length...WOW. I'll say it again: WOW. And you're already working on the sequel? EXCELLENT! I can't wait for it, and you can be sure I'll keep my eyes open and eager for your next piece of writing! ChaosWEAPON