Reviews for Snowman
learning from dystopia chapter 1 . 7/3/2009
Another addiction fed; I quite liked this. A lot.

It reminded me of my birthday, and lunch, and utopia all at once.

But more importantly it sounded like Snowman, picked up from a conceivable zero-hour, and was a lovely homage to Atwood.

The opening was solidly ironic, but it keeps improving (which, despite what English teachers may tell you, is far better than a great hook that turns out to be all tease!).

I loved the pigoons bit, as it supported the extinction of homo SAPIENS, and the outward conviction Jimmy holds regarding his decision to leave the Crakers, contrasted with their naturally prevalent presence in his thoughts.

Also the cut foot paragraph because it paints a visceral picture and drives home the sensation of walking on freezing, bloody, stump feet.

I also liked the contemplation of his impending introduction: it was very human and very Jimmy. Only a Martha-Graham kid would dither about a name's implications (;

"He looks at the blood still trickling out of his ankle and realizes that it may well be his life deserting him." I am crazy about this sentence; it reads profound Jimmy and has impact.

"He is cold; he is hungry; he is exhausted; he is alone." Less crazy about this one: while it's certainly not bad by any definition (and I love semicolons and intentional repetition) I don't feel like it adds to the prior observation the way I think it was supposed to.

"What a way to die." Though the sardonic remark that follows turns my opinion from having merit to kind of maybe a tiny suggestion or something resembling one.

I like the closing and the feeling of progression it brings with the altered temp. motif. Though, the last sentence (which transcends and contains a terrible truth in and of itself) seems less like a close to an epilogue and more like the preview excerpt for a sequel, especially when paired with the new life/incarnation reference from the second paragraph. I'm not sure what this which intended to be, so once again the only crit I can come up with is a perhaps-relevant observation.

Sheesh, stop making this so hard for me.

Whatever the possible context, I lurve it, and agree that if the mood should strike, you should definitely write some more Oryx & Crake stuff, because Snowman is getting lonely.
esotericchick chapter 1 . 6/28/2009
Nice epilogue to the novel. It kept true to the feel and the style of Atwood. Fun read.
your fan chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
I agree that an Oryx and Crake story was desperatley needed. Please continue. It made me very happy to read this chapter (and I forgive you for titling your fic after one of the chapters).
Angelfish-Smile chapter 1 . 11/16/2008
I really love you right now. I haven't had the chance to really be on FFnet in FOREVER. And when I finally get on I come to find this amazing little fic.

Oryx and Crake is an amazing novel and I think more people out there need to write fanfiction for it!

Keep up the good work.
fledge chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
An amazingly well written piece - AND an extraordinary fandom, too. You certainly catch Atwood's style admirably. And you get his personality across convincingly, too. After all, he does belong to an extinct species. And that last line really sums it all up in a nutshell.
firecloak chapter 1 . 10/6/2008
I think that was great! I like your writing; it's consistent with Atwood's style. I hope you update soon
Opal Roseblossom chapter 1 . 9/10/2008
That was really interesting!

I want to know... You said that it sounded like they had just left a home. Why?

Urgh, so curious.

And I love the dilemma over a name. I want him to address himself as Homo Sapien. XD

I LURVED the ending. :D

P.S. Did he die? Was that ambiguous for a reason?