Reviews for Shoot To Kill
fearlessgoddess2 chapter 1 . 12/30/2008
Excellent story! Love the third person from John's POV, great stuff!
PADavis chapter 1 . 10/8/2008
I've been very behind of late. This was beautifully told. Great John POV and the last line is just a so John. Love this one.

Phoebe
amyblair chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
Love that little line there, "you don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive."

Also liked how you handled them going over the hunt again and Dean with is ever-so technical, "back down to your twenty."

Liked the camper repellent. Clever.

Loved how you described John's state of mind "worn scratchy soundtrack looping" and then right after how you tied it in with "tuning it out". Nice interlude.

Although it was a bearwalker, when John first thought it was a bear and was like, it was a big fucking bear, my mind immediately shot to 'The Great Outdoors' with John Candy. I could see him running from the bear to his cabin and stammering, "Big bear... big bear chase me."

Always cracks me up.

I've seen the first hunt be done before, but you did it well, Chemmo. Great tie in's. Great nerves from both. Great pride.
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
Oh, well done, chemm80, and I can't stand John! Was so pleased to see him second-guessing himself (after I huffed that he'd let his boy take point on his first hunt, and then positioned himself a whole klick away), and then being wrong twice. This was clearly John's story, although there was certainly enough Dean to satisfy me, and just the right amount of 12-year-old Sam for the story you had to tell. And I cheered you when John...uh, apologized, I guess, although not really. I thought you balanced perfectly on that fine wire of staying true to his character-the one that has half the fandom loving him, and the other half (mine) hating him, because he's just so hard to pin down. Thanks for sharing this on ff!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
Dean's first hunt from John's POV! I love it! I'm a John fan and it's great to see him like this. He was a good man and he loved his boys. "Dead Man's Blood" is what I keep going back to for that. A parent never sees their adult children as anything other than their children.

Really well done. The emotion was strong and well described.
deangirl1 chapter 1 . 9/11/2008
Love this take on Dean's first hunt. I really like how you've portrayed John here. He's not perfect, but we get glimpses of why he's not, and he does love his boys. I really love your/his reflections on how one should/does react to the kill. His final words to Dean are perfect - you shoot to stay alive - very, very astute of you and really perfect. It had shades of Croatoan for me and Sam's talk to Dean about how killing should bother him... Great story!