Reviews for In The Line Of Duty
sallyferrell chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
Great, great story. Heart-wrenching because it is so true so many times every day across the USA and the world; our brave men and women who protect and serve and lay down their lives for the ordinary citizen. Thanks for sharing.

Sally in East Texas
atrish1 chapter 1 . 10/5/2008
This one was very sad Karen. sigh...

I think you capture the wonderful and sweet way the guys might take care of each other in these situation.

Very dramatic emphasis of using the death of another cop as a parallel to how things could have ended so badly for S& H.

The whole scene of Hutch worriedly chasing after Starsky seemed quite real - like watching an episode.

To have the shooter just walking along eating a sandwich was Starsky so insulted by it was a punch in the gut to me to.

The dialogue between the boys throughout was very S&H too- great job on that.

You took great care giving all the detail to the funeral - at it was heartwretching. The reader can easily imagine how much it's tearing up S&H ( and everyone else there)

Oh my and that end. Them watching Zeek(who could be Hutch) Again you the stark comparison is intense and it's sob time.

Very vivid, tragic and tender piece.

hey & I love that name- Zeek Novak!

- this is beautiful-

"My own tears felt hot and one dripped down to patter onto the collar of my shirt as a single bugler called out the woeful notes of taps. The haunting sound reached out farther than the gathering of family and friends, my bet was the song could be heard across the universe."
elflingskitten chapter 1 . 9/22/2008
Well done. Very well done.
rsb57 chapter 1 . 9/13/2008
well, you did it again. As I read this story, I was struck by two things. Your ability to tell a story and your ability to give us an up close and personal glimpse into Starsky and Hutch's feelings.

Also what a great tribute to those who sacrifice everyday to keep the rest of us safe.

I never knew Taps had words. Thanks for the education.

Becky
aussie angie chapter 1 . 9/13/2008
Thank you so much for a wonderful and very sad story I love reading it until your next story thanks you.
gaillardia chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
That was an amazing read: you could picture the scenes so well and the emotion and feelings from Hutch were exactly as they would be. Some stories are straight from a vivid imagination-others are straight from the heart-I know where this one came from. Just beautiful!
Jan in VA chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
Hi!

Sad yet so reaffirming! You did it again my friend!

Type to you later! God Bless!

Jan in VA
Bobbie Barkley chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
What a lovely story and a gentle reminder that we owe a lot to those men and women that put their lives on the line every day for us. That losing someone, whether you personally knew him or not, takes its toll.

As always, you paint wonderful images with your words, but in this story your words go deeper into the heart. Maybe it’s the subject of your story. Maybe it’s because I know the grief of a wife.

My favorite line:

“I grieved for his family, his friends, his neighbors, his partner, Zeek Novak, who was out sick that day and even for his dog - if he had a dog.”

And then you made us smile:

"You think?" he drawled out sarcastically. "I know. Heard it crunch when he decked me."

And then you made us cry:

"I love you." Starsky raised his glass to me, his emotions busting out like the sun's rays after a bad storm. "'Case I haven't told you lately."

I held my beer up and clinked the glass against his, crossing the border with him. "I love you, too."
brook5 chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
that was beautiful..the ending..loved that