Reviews for Harry Potter and the Vault of Mystery
avatar junkman chapter 18 . 11/28/2013
I bet $20.00 that Harry uses parsel tongue to open the vaultp
sunneedee chapter 38 . 9/12/2013
This was weirdly amazing.
sunneedee chapter 19 . 9/12/2013
Hey...this states the map is fire resistant - but Snape burned it
MsAngelAdorer chapter 38 . 8/9/2011
Well . . . I'm not sure what to say. This fanfiction was rather . . . strange? Something like that. But since I’ve read it through, I’ll tell you what I thought.

The plot was interesting—I haven't seen anything like this done before. And the mysteries had me hooked. I found that hearing that Deirdre was a centaur was so obvious and brilliant at the same time. And yet . . . the explanation invovling Jon was bizarre. Was he a Muggle? I'm not sure I truly understood that. And what you did with Snape and Horcruxes was fascinating, actually.

The story structure immediately impressed me. It read pretty much how I would have expected book 7 to go until I read HBP and realized the trio would be away until the end—since it was obvious the final battle was to be at Hogwarts. It followed the format that the first six did pretty much to the letter, which felt comforting, actually. I did prefer the books when they were more about strange adventures at school, and less about the war with Voldemort.

For the characters: The canon ones were all perfectly in character—so much I found myself cheering when the canon couples got together, which is impressive as I'm not really a Harry/Ginny fan.

As for other things: The grammar was good; had its problems, but was simple enough that I could understand everything as there weren’t many errors. This included several things I’d have liked to have seen, but understand why weren’t included—like the final visit to Hogsmeade. And I did like that they took their N.E.W.T.S. And I simply LOVE how you had Harry, Ron, and Hermione realize that they weren’t going back to Hogwarts. That’s what I would have liked to have seen in an epilogue.

Overall, this was a . . . strange read. Not in a bad way, though. I will add this to my favorites, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to look at the books the same way again after that—which is probably the highest compliment I can give you. Sorry for the long review!
Palurien chapter 38 . 10/8/2010
Only read the first chapter before I jumped to the last, but I liked the spelling and structure of your writing :) The only thing I would wish you had included was that Harry and Ginny ended up together. It gets boring reading through a good story only to have to stop reading when you discover the Harry/Ginny pairing, it really is a moodbuster :p
subzeus chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
Once again, I can't tell you how refreshing it is to find an author on this site who seems to make a point of correct spelling and grammar. It is sadly becoming a rarity, and I find myself enjoying reading stories, even if the genre is something I am not particularly interested in, if the spelling and grammar is correct. As for this story, I am only just finished with the first chapter, but am liking everything so far.
ShelbzieSue chapter 38 . 2/26/2010
Awesomw story, thier should be sequel
Faint Brushfire chapter 38 . 1/16/2010
Was this the last chapter? I hope not. P

Well, perhaps I was both wrong and right not to trust Jon. Is he just another Power, or is he actually "James" from Ex Machina? Either way, I found this story to be alot better than Ex Machina, but I wasn't expecting you to bring elements from your other stories into it!

Vault sub-plot (or was it more the main plot?) was amazing, even better than the Horcrux Hunt and the Deirdre plot. Really great to read.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, and I hope it's not the end. Keep it up!
Faint Brushfire chapter 23 . 1/13/2010
I trust Jon and Deirdre even less now.
Faint Brushfire chapter 22 . 1/13/2010
I thought I'd pop in to let you know that I am actually reading this, and to comment on a few things.

- I don't trust Jon.

- The conversation in this chapter between Jon and Deirdre was simply amazing- did you mean for it to have that much depth into moral beliefs? I found myself thinking about Deidre's beliefs on people, how she views others, whether Jon was egotistical and idiotic or not and more. I should've expected it from the writer of Ex Machina, though. ;)

I'd love to say more, but I'd like to continue reading rather than go into too much detail. Thanks for the great story, and while it my be unrealistic it's the most interesting take on Harry's 7th year that I've read!

-Brushfire.
tornadoblake2009 chapter 1 . 12/21/2009
great chapter
Ag Surfer chapter 38 . 12/9/2009
Well!

The story certainly took some...unexpected turns. I'm impressed, though, with the overall results you've provided here, author.

I did have a suspicion about Deidre, and I do very much wish that the Malfoy family had been dealt with a bit more, ah, conclusively, but the only fish sized bone I may have to pick with this story was the meeting between Lord Thingy and Harry at the steps of Hogwarts, just before the cavalry arrived.

Now, don't get me wrong - the conflict and its resolution were unique, very creative and highly satisfying to read (even though I believe Riddle got much more mercy than he deserved). No, my issue was with something I see all too often in stories and movies.

The villain has the hero at his utter mercy, and, rather than do what ought to be done (villain dispatches hero in the fastest, most efficient manner possible and carries on with their plan of world domination, etc.), they launch into a speech about how brilliant their plan was and how there can be no hope for the hero (often just before the villain buys it).

Here, Voldemort had Harry dead to rights. A simple, "Avada Kedavra" and the game is over - Voldemort wins! Fortunately for everyone who likes a happy ending, Voldemort's planet-sized ego took over and he felt the need to explain and taunt.

For the record, I believe that I *am* a good guy but I'm a firm supporter of that famous Nike slogan, "Just do it!"

I understand of course that this is not really set-up for a sequel, but I would very much like to know more about what happens to your Harry here - does he become an Auror? Will there be any lasting effects on Hermione, given what was done to her by Jon? What will become of Ron Weasley, given the change to his lifestyle at the end of this story? What will become of the Malfoys?

Many questions to be answered - and finally, I'm a bit sad that Harry did not ask Jon the question Luna wanted him to ask. I would have loved for a Grey-Tufted Horsplorts' feather to have made its (anonymous)way to the offices of The Quibbler.

Great job though! I was absolutely entertained all the way through and I thank you for taking the time and obvious effort to share your vision with us all. I will now leave to look at what other stories you have written, because I very much like your style of storytelling.

Regards,

Mike

AgSurfer
Ag Surfer chapter 26 . 12/8/2009
I don't know...

That makes this a really good story because - I don't know!

I don't know if Harry is being needlessly paranoid about Jon, or whether it's going to turn out that Jon is a real friend who has been mistrusted.

I finished reading this chapter and what came to my mind was an old play by Moliere, called "Tartuffe." My very good friend still to this day says that I've been "Tartuffed" when I make an error in judgment.

So I am officially holding back on any decision here. There are clues and threads all over this story and until things become clearer, I reserve judgment on any and everyone.

I will not be "Tartuffed" by a Harry Potter fan-fic! I'd never live it down if I did! :P
Ag Surfer chapter 23 . 12/8/2009
Interesting how this Harry expects others to respect his privacy (We need you to drive us to Azkaban Prison, but we can't tell you why), and yet feels somehow entitled to eavesdrop on the conversations of others. It's not a complaint, just an observation, but I *do* wonder how Harry would feel if his private chats were being similarly listened in upon.

The story is excellent and I'm extremely curious to see how it's all going to work out!
Ag Surfer chapter 22 . 12/8/2009
Hm; twenty two chapters in, and there has been alarmingly little learned with regard to the missing Horcruxes. Even if Ron and Hermione may have other matters taking up their seventh year at school, I'm surprised at how lax Harry seems to be about it all.

I admit, there is a plan in place to at least begin finding out about one of the possible hidden items, and I'm certainly not complaining about the Vault of Mystery (something about the very title of this story leads me to believe the vault is important!), but I really thought that by now Harry would be on the trail of R.A.B. at the very least!

Your story is excellent; anytime I leave a review that questions the plot or characters, I must also make sure I give credit where its due and the overall impression here for me is that this is a high quality story. I wanted to make sure I did not post this review without mentioning that.
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »