Reviews for Winter's Child
Carrie L chapter 1 . 4/20
I read this story years ago and it stayed with me so much that I looked it up to read it again. Wonderful storytelling. Thank you.
murphycat chapter 15 . 2/5
This was as fine a scifi story, not just Trek, that I have ever read. Wonderfully done. Don't listen to any detractors. I'm sure they couldn't have done better than you. I was so emotionally wrapped up in the story that my chest was tight at the end. I have only one complaint; I so wish I could have seen the look on Janeway's face when the message came through. Great story!
K chapter 15 . 2/23/2014
Thank you for writing this!The premise was interesting and I enjoyed seeing things from Bea's perspective.
phantominkgecko chapter 15 . 12/31/2013
This story messed me up. Swearing at the computer. Sobbing. Smiling a little. Screaming on the inside the whole time. Beautiful. Terribly beautiful. You've ripped out my poor shipper heart and have done little to repair it for me. Holy heck. Thank you. But also I'm very angry with you and this quality piece of fiction.
Guest chapter 15 . 9/22/2013
I think there is now more need to tell you that this is a gorgeous story (both in storyline and telling), but what made it even better were the Author's Notes. Especially the part about why Bea's name is Beatrice - I had thought you're reason had been a different (and am delighted, that the meaning is fitting too).

In his work Vita Nova Dante describes his love to women called Beatrice. (Which is read by Janeway in Latent Image, a quote from it read out loud by the Doctor.)
skadoo chapter 15 . 8/13/2013
This was exquisite. I can't possibly adequately describe how much I enjoyed this. I especially liked their discussion about changing the timeline. Did they have the right to do it, to decide or does it belong to the person who is forced to ultimately make the decision?
Beloved Daughter chapter 15 . 8/13/2013
Really awesome story! Thanks for writing and posting! I thoroughly enjoyed reading every minute of it!
Kerry J chapter 15 . 7/25/2013
Wow, I just finished reading it and I'm still reeling from it. I came across this purely by accident and was hooked half-way through the first chapter. The voice of Bea, this girl whom circumstances have made older and wiser than her years, is hard to get out of your head. I can't tell you how much I loved her simple, matter-of-fact way of telling her story.
And what a heartbreaking story it was. And what a brilliant idea of a premise that you so expertly made into this incredible piece of fanfiction.

I loved your characterisation of and your insight into the main characters - I felt with all of the surviving Voyagers (probably more so with Janeway, but then she I think carried the biggest burden), instantly loved their kids and welled up when Beth died.

The reunion with Chakotay and Harry was very emotional, as was his talk with Kathryn. And I couldn't help it - I felt bad for Tessa when she unburdened herself to Bea. I wasn't surprised at all when she was the one helping Bea and Zayek with the correction. But what a decision to be made by two kids. And yet - I'm with Kathryn at the end, it felt like the right decision. That was a really nice twist - that she'd seen through them and condoned their plan.

I loved your notes after the end as well - a few of those questions I'd have asked too. Glad to see you answered them already. ;-)

What a wonderful, wonderful story. And I think you chose the perfect person to tell it. Loved it. Favourited!
viatrix rediens chapter 1 . 7/19/2013
Great idea, great story and ver well written. Loved it
JamieRobs chapter 14 . 4/10/2013
WOW...that was brilliant! I am in awe. So well written, clever, sad and haunting. I just loved Bea! I think she is THEY best original character I've ever read in a fanfic. She was worthy of being Kathryn Janeway's daughter! When she recorded that message at the end and began, "Hello, Mama" I just lost it! There are those stories that after they are read remain with us, this, for me, is one of those. I see you haven't written anything recently, I hope you will again because you have a gift :-)
Savvywolf chapter 15 . 2/17/2013
Thought provoking and inspiring. I loved every minute of it. Beatrice was so real and was such an amazing representation of both the hope and the loss that weaved throughout the entire story. I loved all of the portrayals of the characters and the love that binder them together. A beautiful story.
-Savvywolf
pennyd chapter 15 . 2/13/2013
What a great story! This was a deep, thinking story with wonderful character development. I could picture KJ as she was when they were rescued. I enjoyed having Bea and Zayek be the ones to set things straight at the end. I'm not a writer, only a voracious reader and this story is one I will come back to.
Guest chapter 3 . 8/14/2012
Wow, it's only chapter 3 and this story is amazing! This chapter brought tears to my eyes! Amazing so far!
beautyofsorrow chapter 15 . 3/1/2012
When a story inspires you to write one of your own, you know it's something special.

This was absolutely beautiful - perhaps the most touching story I've read on this site. Your care in writing this showed in every word, and the depth of its compassion, understanding, and poignancy is astonishing. It's infinitely better than the episode it sprang from. Very, very well done. I cannot thank you enough for this.
Mindelina chapter 15 . 2/2/2012
Winter's Child is by far and away my most favorite read on this site. I often check back on it, reading some or all of it over again when the mood strikes me. Of course every time I intend to just read a bit of it, I end up finishing up the whole story.

You have obviously taken the time to truly understand the characters and pseudoscience and it shows. It's so hard to find work as well thought out and constructed as this. Thank you so much for putting it out there for all of us to read.

I am a movie person. Growing up I always preferred movies over reading books, but on occasion I would absolutely fall in love with a book and have to buy it in hard cover and display it on my shelf. If this were a book, it would be on that shelf.