Reviews for Hackamore 08 : Second Opinion
gail chapter 1 . 9/7
I love it when fan's add to the story, I have read this over and over again it's great. Scott trying to get through to Johnny to let them help him and Johnny not sure if he can trust them to watch his back but wanting to. I have read a few of these stories but can't find one from Johnny's point of view, is there one somewhere, I would love to read it.
This WHN for the show's pilot was insightful on two different fronts. On one front we have the compelling back story for Doctor, Sam Jenkins. On the other front, we get to see the new Lancer brouhaha through Sam's eyes.
The WHN is extremely plausible. One gets to see Sam, as a Doctor. His observations regarding the new beginning of the Lancer family, is filled with hope.
Sam, the man, is explored in the central back story. Sam's initial journey, reminded one of Larry Darrell, in W. Somerset Maugham's, "The Razor's Edge". Both characters giving up a life of ease and prosperity, to go wandering. Both were looking for something. Both wanted to make a difference but, not in the conventional way. And both used healing as a way to reach out to people.
At the end, their paths diverged. But what they found was similar. Sam thought himself, not to be a religious man. And from a conforming theological text, his belief was probable, true. He believed himself to be a man of science. But in his haunting poetic descriptions of the land and its energy, the true nature of his heart is revealed. Sam, like, Larry, has been blessed with the unique ability, to see the reflection of the world, "through a glass darkly".
August 25, 2016.
twobrothers chapter 1 . 3/7/2015
Excellent story! A perfect accounting of what probably happened between all 3 of the Lancer men after the shooting!
MollokoPlus chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Absolutely one of the finest Lancer stories I've read in quite some while, and definitely one of the most entertaining WHN pieces I've read! You've done a fine job with the humor. Thank you.
sherry57 chapter 1 . 4/2/2012
Having recently rediscovered Lancer after having been a huge fan as a young girl, I'm having such fun discovering also some great stories including this one.

Atlantis didn't do whump and characters back story well enough. Lancer was not any better so once again thank goodness for writers who fill in the holes.

Loved this tag which gave us more insight to the beginning of the putting back together of the broken family, the beginning of the transition form Madrid to Lancer, the founding of the close brotherly affection and the relationship and respect that developed between the boys and Murdoch.

Thanks hon. I hope you'll write even more of the Lancers and Johnny in particular.
GStales chapter 1 . 2/29/2012
Reading your stories is like a lesson in how to write really good fiction. This is one of my favorites.
zekeschance chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Amazing story. Very beautifully written. All of the players in perfect character. Loved it!
Joe chapter 1 . 10/8/2008
Ha! I really like Scott and the way he's fallen almost like a natural into the role of big brother. Johnny doesn't stand a chance against such a formidable pairing as his hermano and the doc. Great writing.

JML chapter 1 . 10/8/2008
Nice the way Scott and Sam ganged up against Johnny until his wall crumbled and then they were able to help. I loved the line from Scott about it seeming to be his job to carry Johnny. Poor Juanito had no-one to carry him since he was a child so it'll take some getting used to, this big brother lark.
kittytrypsin chapter 1 . 10/7/2008
Love old Sam Jenkins and his 'take-no-prisoners' bluster when dealing with a wounded Mr Madrid in spite of his worries when he first contemplated the gunfighter as a wolf. But my heart went out to Bella and Cip as they lost their dear friend Arturo.

And I love how Scott's taken to the big brother routine like he's been practicing all his life. The quip about carrying Johnny all over California was very good.

texas2step chapter 1 . 9/19/2008
I enjoyed your story very much. Seeing everything from Sam'spoint of view was refreshing. I liked the way Sam and Scott kept talking to Johnny until he finally gave up and they were able to help him.

Rachelle Logan chapter 1 . 9/15/2008
This was absolutely wonderful. The language describing the country is delicious but the descriptions of the men, particularly Scott and Johnny and the tentative steps they are taking toward a brotherly relationship are beautifully narrated. I enjoyed this so much. This is a story I'll read over and over. Great writing!
ladc chapter 1 . 9/14/2008
Very nice. I very much like scenes of Scott and Johnny's growing affection. It was nice coming from Sam's perspective.