Reviews for A Week In The Life Of A Simian Bibliophile
SomeKindOfFan chapter 1 . 11/9/2014
Loved it!
Ikurus chapter 1 . 3/10/2013
I'd forgotten about Octeday, and was starting to wonder by Friday.
Loved it.
Thank you for writing and sharing this.
UnseenLibrarian chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
This was a great fanfic, I loved it. :) Nice incorporation of all the various fandoms!
The Wakka Man chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
Good work on the book & movie references, I got most of them. I also liked how you remembered that a Discworld week has twice-four days :)
Brendan Rizzo chapter 1 . 12/4/2009
That was pretty good and humorous. I just have one question. What was the Librarian looking for?
Anova chapter 1 . 10/12/2009
I know I am a year too late, but I must tell you how much I enjoyed reading this crazy little tale. The librarian encountering Bridget Jones was simply hilarious (I can imagine him writing a "skirt-missing message" ;)). Overall, great selection of diverse characters to meet for the poor ape -apart from Star Trek (never watched it) and these Ffrode books I’m not familiar with (but I loved the nod the Northanger Abbey in there!), I believe they were all portrayed fittingly, especially the Bennets. This part features my favourite lines:

“What a funny little fellow. How do you think it got here, Papa?”

“I wouldn’t put it past one of your silly sisters to have bought it as a pet.”

Well, thinking about it, I’m not that familiar with the bible to judge the portrayal of Luke, but still, it was a nice insight to meet an evangelist /Christian religion from a Discworld ape’s point of view.

I’m glad you continued humorous writing in this tradition with the equally great “Ladies Guide” for Lord of the Rings. : )

Thanks for writing,

Anova
SilverInkblot chapter 1 . 9/23/2009
I did manage to recognize most of the fandoms, though most of the characters seemed to accept the presence of an orangutan a bit too easily.

And I would have thrown in the library from Beauty and the Beast X3
Clodia chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
I really should have commented the last time I read this story and liked it; but I didn't. Ho hum. In any case, having been reminded of its existence and returned to it, I still like it very much. The range of universes is wonderful and the varied reactions to the appearance of an orang-utan is delightfully done. Nice closure as the True Shepherd finds his lost little lamb. Thank you!
Charli800 chapter 1 . 3/23/2009
This was fun. I enjoyed the way you handled the librarian; I think there was some character development beyond canon, but little enough that it wasn't a focal point. He remained very much the librarian throughout, but thinking back the reason for his attraction to the different characters (or lack thereof) is an interesting exploration of his character. The introduction was also good and I enjoyed the way that you pointed out that the librarian is not a simple as he seems.

I also enjoyed seeing the different universes, almost like a recommended reading list! Luke and Gandalf I enjoyed, though I might not have written either quite like that, I don't think anyone can be certain how they might have reacted to meeting an orangutan; you were certainly plausible. I liked the Pride & Prejudice scene very much. Thursday Next I would like to get to know better, from what I saw here, and I am excited to find that The Never Ending Story is a book!

This line - "narrowly escaped from an attack by rogue metaphors" - is fun and reminds me of some of your other work, as well as of canon.

One typo:

"Heathcliff is on the lose again" - loose

I didn't know that Möbius could be spelt Moebius, but apparently it can, so I have learned something (other than the dangers of L-space).
Grummel chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
Nice idea to use the L-space for a wild cross-over.

I don't know all about the sources, but as far as I know them, you got them nicely, safe perhaps Gandalf. I somehow think the real Mitharandir would follow the Libarian and find out about the L-Space. Perhaps he will then find a copy of the LotR, which would make up a story of its own :)

PS: Thank you, I finally got the ape/monkey thing. Having read most of the books in German, this escaped me so far.
ThePip6 chapter 1 . 12/1/2008
Hmm interesting. Strange to have included so many different books but they do kind of fit.
chrisfardell chapter 1 . 11/19/2008
Monday

I like the 'picking up' of the Bablefish here, as well as the other Hitchhiker's Guide references.

Tuesday

I like the Librarian's interaction with Bastian here, or more accurately Bastian's response to the Librarian being in Mr Coreander's shop. I also like Mr Coreander's response to the ape being in his shop.

Wednesday

I am not sure what this fiction this is crossing over with, though I do like the Shakespeare reference.

Thursday

? Bridget Jones ? I have only seen parts of the first movie...

Friday

Luke! And he is researching for the Gospel that will be written by him. I liked the reference to Mark as well.

Saturday

Gandalf is definitely suspicious here. But then he needs to be when he is fighting to save Middle Earth from the forces of Sauron!

Sunday

Data is Data, and Riker is Riker, you have done well here.

Though how L-Space could connect to a simulated library on a holodeck I am not sure. (Though maybe the knowledge stored in the Enterprise's computer banks may be enough)

Octeday

The reaction of Elizabeth and Mr Bennett to the presence of the Librarian is believable.
Larner chapter 1 . 10/8/2008
I think I liked the encounter with Data and Will best. Poor Gandalf, necessarily filled with suspicion, and not accepting the peanut! But although he's seen tomatoes and taters, I doubt he's seen peanuts before! Heh!

Cute, Virtuella!
piewacket chapter 1 . 9/29/2008
Virtuella-

I am struggling with this review because I have two completely differing reactions to this fic.

First off, let me say that this is an absolutely delightful read. Your writing has a lyrical quality to it that is enchanting. You have made me interested enough in Discworld to want to read the books. I could and would happily recommend this fic to anyone who desires a good read.

Now for the not so happy part, I’m not sure that you really nailed the spirit of the challenge. While the weaving of The Librarian into several other fictions was entertaining and clever, many of the characters’ reactions were not very realistic. For instance, would Bridget Jones and her friends really calmly accept an orangutan in their midst? I understand the literary license that you took and it works to great humorous effect. This is especially true with Elizabeth and Mr. Bennett’s reaction to The Librarian. The lines actually made me laugh out loud. By the way, as another reviewer has mentioned, Data’s reaction was both amusing and realistic for that character.

But the task was to create a credible crossover. This story works mainly because the reader is in on the joke while the characters ignore the obvious “elephant in the room”. Yet, I cannot deny the sheer tour de force that you’ve pulled off with this piece of writing. Gah! Why did you have to make my voting choices so very difficult?
Ragnelle chapter 1 . 9/20/2008
I just have to agree with the rest of the reviewers, it is a wonderfull story and the cross-overs are done very well. I'm not famliliar with all the fandoms (and one I have not heard about at all) but as far as I can see, you have captured them well.

Using Discworld and L-space to make the corss-overs belivable is perfect. I can't think of any better fandom to use for that, and I also think that the order of the other fandoms were well placed. Staring with Hitchhiker's Guide to get the language-problem solved (and I like Slartibartfast, if only for his work on Norway *g*) was brilliant, and I also liked the ending with Pride & Prejudice. Am I correct in thinking you like that book very much? Your treatment of it made me think so.

There was one character that I did not think you got quite right, and that was Gandalf. He works, but you get a bit too far into the charicature with him. He is just that small tad too pompus in his speech and too gruff/ rash in his judgement that tips him over from a spot-on character to a charicature.