Reviews for Protective Instinct
Fran L chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
This story is really interesting to me, from a characterisation point-of-view. For a start, I'm a 'Virg 2nd' girl rather than 'John 2nd', which is of course important in this story. But it works well the way you write it; they're all still prfectly in character.

But John's the most interesting part of this story. I certainly always saw him as extremely gifted and intelligent, but the way you write his dislike of contact and trouble expressing emotion is new to me. But it makes sense the way you write it, and gives me a fresh look at him. My brother's autistic, and has the same intensity, intelligence and distance that we can see in John.

But John's self-awareness shows us the interesting twist that he's certainly not autistic, and views his own difficulties as just another problem to figure out. And the fact that he really wants to shows us his love and warmth though he can't express it in other ways.

Poor Jeff, I felt for him that he couldn't pull John into a bear-hug when he wanted to. But the fact that he didn't is a lovely way of showing us his skills as a parent.

Very, very sweet :)
chocolatelover1 chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
lol Aww... I found cute yet funny... Not sure why funny but... yeah lol Nice job
Inkbug chapter 1 . 12/21/2008
I really enjoyed reading this. You've given excellent character insight on both John and Virgil, as well as Jeff Tracy.

Congrats on a well-written piece. :)
nameless-faceless-me chapter 1 . 12/15/2008
Well done.

Relationships were displayed wonderfully.

I loved the story.

Hope to read more from ya.

]

God bless
I-like-chickens chapter 1 . 10/15/2008
I love this story- the autistic personality of John and the protectiveness of his brothers. It's fantastic! Seriously, a great story. I hope you post something else soon.
spinningleaves chapter 1 . 9/23/2008
Aww! I really love the way you have Jeff understanding his kids enough to handle them each differently. I also love the ending when Scott can't help but be the big brother to everyone. A great look at the differences between the boys in a positive light. Nice!
minstrelsy chapter 1 . 9/22/2008
Wow - this was a fascinating take on the relationships between the 3 eldest sons. Superbly done!
bumbles the bee chapter 1 . 9/19/2008
I love this story, VIrgil protecting John seems just right to me. It was great the way that you gave Scott the father role at the end as well, sorting out the problems in just a few words. I always felt for John, he seemed to be the deep thinker, quiet type. Having waded into a fight to try to protect my younger brother I have to say that Jeff Tracey was much more understanding of the situation than my father.
cathrl chapter 1 . 9/17/2008
Much enjoyed. I especially liked Jeff's comment to Virgil about how just because Scott would have done it differently didn't mean he would have done it right.
shallowz chapter 1 . 9/16/2008
Adored this, and I hope you continue. Wonderful characterizations and sweet moments.:)
quiller chapter 1 . 9/16/2008
I love the way you show the brothers in this - all trying to protect each toher, and poor Jeff trying to understand his growing brood.

Look forward to seeing more from you.
KatZen chapter 1 . 9/16/2008
Aaw! Cute story! I loved it!

Virgil is so sweet, trying to protect his older brother, and I loved Scott's explanation to John. It seemed like the sort of thing John would like. Jeff's portrayal was spot on, and the ending made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

This is going straight on my favourites list.

KZ ;)
McHammy chapter 1 . 9/15/2008
Oh I loved it! Written to perfection.
Little Miss Bump chapter 1 . 9/15/2008
A wonderful story, my friend. All of the natural elements that bond the Tracy family together, combined with an easy-going plot and not too much content. It was light, fluffy and highly satisfactory. Terrific.

I adored your portrayal of John's character. A complete genius, but also clueless to everything in the real world. And Virgil, it's true that he often does appear to be closer in age to Scott. I love his fierce protective nature, despite the fact that John is the elder of the two boys.

The relationship between Jeff and his sons is excellently written, especially the way in which he comforts Virgil and respects John's need for seclusion. I agreed whole-heartedly with everything he said.

Well done, buddy, this was a truly wonderful piece of work. And thank you for sharing it with us. I hope that you intend to write more in the future!