Reviews for The long way to profit
Karon19 chapter 5 . 10/12/2009
This is turning out to be a Dungeons novel. Ever read any of those? I've read one or two, basically a team of explorers/treasure hunters/criminals/unfortunate bastards being trapped inside a dungeon while trying to learn it secrets and finding a way out.

After introspection, I've come to the conclusion that Jarlaxle and co. are none of the above. They are just passing through afterall. Too bad for whatever's coming after them.

Ryoken chapter 10 . 10/7/2009
Another well-written story full of hilarity! Writing battle sequences isn't easy, and admittedly, I got lost on some of the fights, but I usually do when reading them anyway. ' I'll be reading the sequel soon! *tries to get in the groove to scribble down her own NWN fiction WIP*
icanseeuuu chapter 10 . 10/1/2009
I really liked this story. The way you contrast the characters is hilarious. My favorite was Enserric, no matter what he (or it) said, it was always funny. I still don't know if I liked or hated Jarlaxle, one the one hand he is funny, on the other, I hated being in his head (I really pity Artemis).

Yria was... well, Yria. Not much to say, except that she rocks (though I was expecting, hoping more like it, that she would fireball the hell out of that colorblind-ish elf for breaking the diamond, *sigh* you don't always get want you want).

I liked the personality you gave Rizolvir (and his threat of turning Enserric into a chamber pot). It was nice to see that he is finally learning to treat Yria more like a human than like a drow, even if it was, and still is, I guess, a (painfully) slow process.

If you write something else, I'll make sure to check it out.
Karon19 chapter 4 . 9/16/2009
You're a dialouge specialist. Loved the banter. Loved the words left unsaid. Loved Entreri's musings on whether or not he should kill himself.

A word of warning, Riz's sword uses a manner of speech more akin to our time. Saying pal and buddy doesn't mold well into the FR clay. For future reference, remember he's a sentient sword in a fantasty world, not some New York cabby.

And, have I told you this before, switching between Riz and Artemis in the same paragraph was confusing at some points. I kind of feel bad telling you this since the story is already finished. Defeats the whole point and I wish I caught this sooner.

I can say nothing I have not already said. It feels like a real book I'm reading. What's really interesting is how you're having Riz and Artemis work together. They're the vicitims of their partners' schemes but somehow find they have more in common than they want to. Damn Drow!

Karon19 chapter 3 . 8/28/2009
A future market. Damned if I wasn't right. So the two at last meet, and what a meeting. One human. One drow. They exchange pleasantries, quips, a truce, only to have their other companoins; another human and drow, show up in the thick. The opportunists and their reluctant partners.

Sorry, but I've gotta run. We'll talk more later. See ya, Ron.

Karon19 chapter 2 . 8/23/2009
Here we have two adjacent stories that will no doubt intersect into one. In both stories, we have one character who's only at it for the profit, hence the title, while the other is merely dragging themselves along for lack of something better to do. Neither Yria or Jarlaxle are overly-skilled at swordplay so they must let their minds do all the work. It's helps to be a little cunning when you're constantly looking for riches in all the wrong places.

Karon19 chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
The connections you made with past events put a smile on my face. Mentioning Jarlaxle reading books at Spirit Soaring made me think, "so that's what he was doing in his spare time." When Cadderly wasn't looking over his shoulder, that is.

Then there is the afore-mentioned "Future Markets" and "100,0 Lousy Coins." You're creating a little universe here, Ron. I completely forgot to mention Riz's sentient sword,Enserric. His comment about fixing his "master's" love life was hysterical. "I want some action." Gotta love those living weapons.

When the two groups bump heads, sparks will fly, heads will roll, and there will be Jarlaxle and Yria looking to make a little profit from it all.

Pen-Name-Kitsune-chan chapter 10 . 4/10/2009
Funny! I really like the two OCs you came up with, although they did dominate the story a bit... But, hey, we already pretty much know a lot about Jarlaxle and Entreri, so there isn't as much there to be explored.
JamCBlade chapter 10 . 3/7/2009
I don’t know which part was better, the fact that Artemis considered Rizolvir the only one sane in the group or the amount of lust for all things gold and shiny both Jarlalxle and Yria exude when combined. And I’m not even going into Rizolvir’s endearing confusion
Arcole chapter 10 . 1/9/2009
Where is my sequel? That's all I want to know. You capped it off perfectly. I really thought the two wild ones' recaps of their previous attempts to strike it rich were just hilarious. Thanks so much for this! Reviews and responses are the coin we pay ourselves in and I consider myself well rewarded! Hm, that sounds vaguely Future Markety. Can't wait to read the next one!
Arcole chapter 9 . 1/9/2009
Super nice battle sequence! Gotta wonder about more backstory here. Can't wait to read 100,0. Meanwhile, the line of Rizolvir's that he'd found his Matron Mother was disturbing, in a really well-written way. His perspective is just on target-his frame of references are so completely intact for who he is and where he came from. I don't care who came up with him first, you're definitely writing him extremely well. And if he doesn't get laid soon, I'm coming after you! :)
Arcole chapter 8 . 1/9/2009
Beautiful, beautiful descriptions! Loved the crack about Old Granny-so Yria! I love her! And the way Entreri and Rizolvir grate on each other is just fabulous. These people are so wonderfully believable! Also loved Jarlaxle's little mercenary moment about bringing Entreri along.
Arcole chapter 7 . 1/9/2009
This is so incredibly good. The dark elves have got such a deep, true resonance with their natures. I find myself really, really, really liking Rizolvir. I have simply got to read the other story. SON! Meanwhile, Yria is a complete scream! I can't wait to get more on her backstory as well, b/c I feel like a good bit of her character development was already done in the earlier work. And you are meanwhile keeping our two favorite guys completely in character, while pointing the way toward their future development as well. You are really good. Have I said that already?
Arcole chapter 6 . 1/9/2009
yet another way fabulous chapter! The fight was so entertaining. I really, really loved the interactions between Entreri and Rizolvir and the confrontation between Entreri and Jarlaxle. Your descriptive passages are simply delightful-the images of the golem were so vivid. Rizolvir's motivation in helping Entreri was perfect. I like this guy a lot. I mean a lot.
Arcole chapter 5 . 1/9/2009
Way cool handling of everybody's thoughts and reactions to being trapped! Nice insights into these people. I find myself liking everybody so much more with each chapter. They're believable with their faults, but likable as well. And the way you closed with the creature heading their way was very dramatic. I am so very glad I'm not waiting for you to post the next chapter!
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »