Reviews for Simple Things, Simple Lines, Simple Words

I liked it.

Very cute.

Great job!
wild-springflower chapter 1 . 7/14/2011
awww, they're so cute! this wasa great! :)
Archiving-Jason chapter 1 . 10/21/2010
OMFG I loved it SO much! Give me MOAR! ...Please?
AThreePipeProblem chapter 1 . 9/15/2010
awwwwww :) this was startng to make me cry iz so cute...
Golden-Heart the 2nd chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
.WORD. JAEH! Sorry for the "shouting". That is EXACTLY what I think!

I have always thought that Riley is "more than Ben's sidekick," to him, and it hurts to see Ben seemingly appear to ignore it, so this works really well for Ben to feel it - and it's cool that you were inspired by Lori's The Last Full Measure of Devotion. :-)

I love how your writing makes Ben's guilt tangible, especially right...HERE. [ It wasn't fair of him to bring that up. He didn't even know why he brought that up. But the damage was already done. He knew Riley had, and still is, keeping his word. Whatever he said was, in simpler terms, really really stupid.

I know you have done a lot of stuff for me, Ben. And I've thanked you over and over for it. I even showed you my appreciation by- good god; I don't know how many parties and little gifts and help along the way. And all the words of appreciation.

But when he did all that stuff for Riley, he wasn't asking for anything in return! He loved Riley like his brother! He didn't want him to do anything "that wasn't really necessary."

"That wasn't necessary to help Ben." Ben mentally punched himself. He used him- he used Riley like a little wind-up toy, a toy he only enjoyed when wanted. He constantly pushed Riley aside when he wasn't needed, and only paid attention when Riley drew the attention to himself.

And Ben was supposed to be his brother, his best friend.

Ben felt weak. According to his logical calculations, and the insane amount of guilt he was feeling, he wasn't being a very good friend.

He kept on saying that Riley was a part of the family, but how close did he intend to keep him if Ben kept pushing him back and forth in all directions?

He was being a horrible friend.

Ben cursed himself inwardly, and if it was possible, he lowered his gaze down even more. "Why didn't you tell me?" He asked Riley silently in his mind. He didn't realize he just said it aloud.

"Tell you what, Ben?"

Ben looked up. "All this. Why just now, Riley?" ] Your observation about how Ben kept on saying Riley was a part of the family, and then kept pushing him away struck hard - as the reader sympathizes with Ben for not be able to say things freely, and then follow them up with ACTIONS; and then Riley's admittance that he gets enough recognition - THAT'S just not the recognition that matters to him.

All he truly desires is to be SEEN, as a PERSON, by the one he's sacrificed so much for in the course of his life - the man who is close enough to him to be "a best friend(italics)" but also more than that to his partner, ie, "you're like my brother (italics)" even though that fact is not always visible to either of them, which ironically enough, causes them to seem even more like people who are kin to each other; while Ben and Riley are most likely two strangers who found each other, learned from each other, sharpened each other together (Proverbs 17:17), and ended up close enough to each other that one would be surprised to find they aren't related.

I keep forgetting this myself. I watched the Original National Treasure recently; and noticed anew how much the two act like two brothers beyond the bonds the kinship. (excuse the alliterative tendencies)

Also, another reason to love this One-Shot(to me, anyhoo), you place angst and fluff/ brotherly luff side-by-side, deepening the intensity of the story - notably in paragraphs 2,3, and 4. Kudos to you. I also like to mix in both angst and fluff together in my stories. :)

Oh, um, this is a looong review for a One-Shot, everyone else left one-sentence reviews! Oh, well, hope you like it!

Until next time, me :)

Golden-Heart aka GH

May Adonai's Force be with you!
hogwartshobbiton chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
aww riley :D thankyou! that was sweetness :) xx
Rachel Mantegna chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
"I just wanted you to be proud of me" Aww! Cute fluffy story!
Rasberry Parfait chapter 1 . 10/25/2008
Aw! I loved it, especially the line where Riley's all "I just wanted you to be proud of me." Good job!
Miss Fenway chapter 1 . 9/25/2008
*sigh* Ben had it coming. Poor Riley! Loved it!
rileyluver17 chapter 1 . 9/25/2008
*crying* OMG, i'm so proud of Ri-kun! that's wat Ben gets 4 being such an ass!
BandGeek58407 chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
This was very well done. _ I absolutely HEART "Riley tells Ben off" fics. Seriously...

Nice job!
BananaPieThiefX chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
Poor Riley :( I think 90% of my reviews say that. They (Ben and Riley) certainly have some issues to work out if/when they make the 3rd movie...
XxMemories4everxX chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
That was great!
QuierdoMusic chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
Amazing idea and great characters... I liked it
LoremIpsum chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
:D I love this story so much! The emotions are very well written and I wanted to give Riley a big hug! Which fortunately Ben was able to do _ DAW. Teh brotherly luffz.