Reviews for Tatterhood: Don't Mess With A GoatRider
Terese chapter 6 . 4/26
I've always wanted to read a new version of Tatterhood. Great job
coolcat12345 chapter 6 . 1/19
This is beautiful. Great story. romance is great.
coolcat12345 chapter 5 . 1/19
This is beautiful. this is great story. I love twists you pull on sisters and relationships.
coolcat12345 chapter 4 . 1/19
This is awesome, but I'm on goblin Queen's side.
coolcat12345 chapter 1 . 1/19
Good deed doesn't go unrewarded. That is sweet of queen and girl is interesting.
coolcat12345 chapter 2 . 1/19
Goblin Queen is awesome. I get feeling Queen will forget promise.
coolcat12345 chapter 3 . 1/19
This is beautiful, I totally like sisters. Feels like true fairy tale.
Heather Watrous chapter 5 . 9/30/2013
I have thoroughly enjoyed the story, but there is one line here that felt unconnected-
"Absolutely not! I'll not be had as a bargain... "
did Tatterhood say that? It just dangles there, because I did not think Tatterhood was with them so closely as to be involved in the conversation.
I have a lot of feelings about this story, and its roots, and the Ethel Johnston Phelps version, which I can see you have also read. When I read the old version, I was completely dissatisfied and frustrated, to have a strong female character built up, only to have her turned into a malleable , marry-able type in the last lines.
I was worried about the Queen's visit to the woods, and the skipping of the knowledge coming from an elder poor woman from the village, as removing and adding those elements is tricky to the tensions and archetypes in the story. But you added and subtracted and replaced the elements with good measure, and I do not feel at a loss for it as I take in the story.
So what are you going to do with it? Have you asked Trina Schart Hyman to illustrate it? A perfect pairing, in my opinion!
I think the only thing that could stand to be altered, especially if you wanted an illustrator the caliber of Schart- Hyman, would be to loosen the overly positive aspects on the beginning- all being so perfect in the kingdom. It makes it more cartoony and disney-ish of every thing is sunny and perfect. Tracking through it for what steers it off the classic course, while maintaining the fresh strength of the characters, would be important.
thank you for and hour of great enjoyment,
BlueNynaeve chapter 2 . 7/16/2013
And as well as T/O&D's great and so commonsensical romance (the whole arc of a romance should be about learning), I also liked how you showed the influence of the sisters on each other's mate choices. Without that approval, there would have been a whole other story. Love it.
BlueNynaeve chapter 5 . 7/16/2013
AndI love this story, by the way. So much adventure that I would love to hear more about and a heroine who chooses her path and is supported by her family. Action really is all about choice.
BlueNynaeve chapter 6 . 7/16/2013
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Although I'm sure big pharma likes your way better. :-)
she-was-a-rose chapter 6 . 2/2/2013
This was great! Like reading an actual fairy tale from the 1800s, loved it!
sparkling unicorn chapter 6 . 4/13/2012
Its official. Im in love with this story! Such an amazing, adorable story, that fits together perfectly! Im aware you didnt really make it up, but no matter! Its still beautiful!
Clar the Pirate chapter 6 . 10/20/2008
I am at a loss to describe the best falling-in-love sequence I think I've ever read. It's wonderful, and believable, and sweet, and they retain their personalities - it feels silly being grateful for an author doing their job properly and keeping their characterisation constant but so often it is not the case - and not awkward or cringe-making, and just perfect, really.

And my favourite part was that Tatterhood decided to keep the dress (and by extension that she did know and could recite the old words and ways); she can follow conventions without worrying about not seeming rebellious because she's strong enough and sure enough to know it's her choice even if it's what's expected.

Bordello? Strange connotations to be putting on the country. Was that in the original?

Thank you thank you thank you or this story. Now write more :)
Clar the Pirate chapter 5 . 10/20/2008
"through the trees and through the trees" struck me as particularly beautiful. And "But then, oh then, they gave chase. Then they flew ... and flew" - balrasgfd (that's me being struck incoherent with love for repetition).

I like that the queen is thankful and appreciative of Tatterhood even though she doesn't understand the girl; she's actually a good person who loves her daughter, a new and strange person to find in the fairy tale world. Okay, so the in the womb part is important to the goat-taming, but could we still see it anyway?

I wonder where the calf's head went. Was there a baby cow wandering about somewhere headless? In which case I'm not sure the head would want to be where it rightly belonged again because the body would be sort of dead and decomposing by now, wouldn't it?

Oh Barney! You were doing so well too until you started contemplating blackmailing your brother. And I liked the anachronisms; the gap between her teeth and ordering him special from a store.

Was that an evocation of Greek mythology? I did not need that little shiver running down my spine, thank you.