Reviews for Hackamore 10 : Tamales and Beans
twobrothers chapter 6 . 3/8
Nice story. Love that Cipriano and his wife were so concerned that Johnny realize he belongs at Lancer.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
Johnny malnourished? Well, that's a stretch. If anyone looked malnourished in the pilot episode, it was Scott. That guy looked like a string bean! A good stiff wind would have blown him over.

But I'm enjoying this so far and I'll go along with a malnourished, too-thin Johnny. Hard for me to picture, though, since he looked so hot and totally fit! :)
wlk68 chapter 6 . 10/17/2008
This was lovely. I always enjoy seeing familiar and beloved characters through the eyes of "outsiders". Granted Cip and Bella are not true outsiders but they are not immediate family members either. This had a vaguely Upstairs, Downstairs feel to it. Very nicely done. I look forward to more stories from you. I think it would be cool to see the whole series from their point of view. *hint, hint*
SerenaDeb chapter 6 . 10/14/2008
That was such a wonderful story. Loved it.

Beautifully written and all the characters seemed very well-rounded. Thanks
Joe chapter 6 . 10/8/2008
A wonderful story full of lots of emotions from the anguish of loss to the joy of love and friendship, all wrapped neatly and watched over by the trusty segundo and his minx of a wife. Very well done and I hope to read more from you in the not too distant future.

Joe
Lancerfan chapter 6 . 10/8/2008
Oh no! You've finished it! I was wanting this to go on and on, but your pacing was just right so don't mind me. Still, it was a great story to finish off the trilogy and I grew to really love Cipriano and his fiesty wife. What a rascal she is, that Bella. I think Johnny Madrid's met his match when it comes to cool nerve and never backing down. Seems to me he'll need to watch his step or Bella will be sewing him a wedding suit before he's ready!
Rachelle chapter 1 . 10/7/2008
I love this series of stories- the others in the First Impressions trilogy as well as the chapters within this third installment! Beautiful characterizations, wonderful, textured exposition and a deft hand tying together the myriad characters, motivations and back stories. This is beautiful work, Starry! I look forward to more from you anywhere in the Lancer universe!

Rachelle
lucy62 chapter 6 . 10/7/2008
Wow! I don't even know where to begin to let you know how much I enjoyed this story! Your characters are well crafted and the rhythm of the storyline flowed seamlessy from start to finish! I found myself laughing, anticipating and just plain enjoying the story. I hated to see it end, so I hope you will have more stories soon!
kittytrypsin chapter 6 . 10/7/2008
I think I love Bella and her clever put-downs! Of course, I love Cip too, but my heart belongs firmly to Johnny Madrid Lancer and his mestizo eyes. Who cares for brown puppy-dog ones when they can have sapphire, azure, and whatever description takes your fancy?

Wonderful story from start to finish and I'm just sad it's over. I hope you write another soon.

Kitty
JML chapter 5 . 10/5/2008
Wow, you've created a warm picture of a loving home with Bella and Cipriano but it must evoke some memories for Johnny and not all good since he didn't have that long as a child with any sort of stable background before he was orphaned (not taking Murdoch into account). Still, their strenght of character and especially that of Bella is just what that confused young man needs to help him decide to put down roots and claim his birthright at Lancer.

Loving this and don't want it to end.
kittytrypsin chapter 5 . 10/4/2008
What a great story. I loved parts one and two of the trilogy having read them elsewhere and am so glad to be able to review this. You have a great writing style and carry the reader effortlessly even when there's descriptive prose and no action.

Bravo and update soon, please.

Kitty
Johnnyfan chapter 5 . 10/4/2008
"You want me to wear pants around the ranch?" enquired Johnny. " 'Cause to tell you the truth, it's more likely I'd not wear pants than not wear my gun."

I must say, I'd pay good money to have someone STEAL his gun if he was to follow through with his threat!

Another great chapter. More please.
Lancerfan chapter 3 . 10/4/2008
Ha-ha, loved the part where Cipriano's contemplating how painful death by coffee might be.
Johnnyfan chapter 3 . 10/4/2008
I love this story! Gotta love that Bella and her poor sap of a husband - not that Cip's really a sap, just that Belle's playing him exactly how she wants, just like Senora Baldomero.
Lancerfan chapter 2 . 10/4/2008
Great story. I read the other two on Karen's site and thought I'd finished this one there, too, so was delighted to see there was more to it. On to read more, now.