Reviews for Hackamore 10 : Tamales and Beans
Guest chapter 6 . 8/29/2016
One has come to love Cipriano and Bella and their family.
They have been brought to life and now take their place in the Lancer saga. One wants to learn more about them and learn from them. (Stories about this loving family. How they view their world; more about their culture; how they parent their children; their life on the ranch; role models for the Lancers; etc). This extended family is what was needed to complete and complement the newly formed Lancer family.

It is most unfortunate, that the writers during the televised era, did not make use of such splendid and diverse secondary characters.
Lancer fan fiction has. One would only hope that this is
Only a preview, of the great stories, yet to come.
August 29, 2016.
Guest chapter 5 . 8/29/2016
The warm and comforting home of Bella and Cipriano is the perfect antithetical background to host the wildfire of emotions blazing from the three visiting Lancers.
The visit starts, innocently enough, with just the two brothers. Conversation turned to Scott learning to ride more like a vaquero. Differences in Tequila was discussed.
( there is even a glimmer of hope for a future story, about Johnny teaching Scott more about gunfighters and pistols). With the arrival of Murdoch, the banked fires of emotion, between the three, threatened to erupt. Anything and everything, seems capable of fueling the fire.
Notes:
Thanks to some additional answers given.
The plight of the stolen stallion in E1. Come to think of it. How did Murdoch get back to the ranch, after being shot by Pardee's?
The information about Barranca.
Great use of conversational Spanish. Makes one wish they had the knowledge to translate it as a second language. Appreciate the added translation into English.
Thanks, too, for the sly addition of Samaniego.
August 29, 2016.
Guest chapter 4 . 8/28/2016
You would expect that Cipriano, as Segundo, would possess the practical knowledge to oversee the realm of a working cattle ranch. Likewise, you would expect that he would possess the ability to read and assess the men working on the ranch. Thus, when his POV, is given regarding the conflicts at the main house, his observations should carry much weight.
Through Cipriano, we see the testing of trust, and the growing bonding and banner of the brothers. We get an insider look, that is not Murdoch's, of the feared trials and tribulations awaiting both of Patron's sons.
Problems that Cipriano sees will escalate, in the future, because Murdoch, either can't see them, or is reticent to acknowledge and deal with them.
The struggles presented, here, could easily fuel many more stories, to come. Not such a subtle plea...
August 28, 2016.
Guest chapter 3 . 8/28/2016
Thank you. Another question answered. Now we know where Johnny got his vaquero styled decorated shirts.
This chapter was a great comic relief from all the high drama of the previous chapters. There was still drama, only of a humorous nature.
The drama here, was another battle for supremacy. Where as, the previous battle with Pardee, was a physical big dog fight. This battle was a more subtle one.
Full of mind games; one up man ship ( only in the case, one up ladies ship); and verbal repartee. A battle royal, to be sure.
Pardee, was a battle for top dog. This was a battle for top woman. The winner, a force, to be reckoned with.
August 28, 2016.
Guest chapter 2 . 8/27/2016
This is a keen little chapter, hawking the short comings of gossip and speculation.
The gossip being debated was whether Johnny was, Madrid or Lancer. (Robert Louis Stevenson could have made a sequel to, " Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde", with all the speculation).
Johnny already had the stack against him: his reputation; Pinkertons' reports; the dime novels; and those eye witnesses accounts.
In Johnny's defense, he did have a battle plan for Pardee, as did Scott. ( But neither was forthcoming about complete details. Pride, maybe in thinking each was right. But nobody, asked, either).
Johnny also showed his humanity, in his method of breaking the Palomino. Likewise, in his reaction to the murder of Senora Maria Luis Villaneuva Bocanegra and her Gasper.
Finally, for Johnny, it was to Murdoch's credit, that he was "vociferous in his son's defense". (Murdoch finally coming to grips with Johnny's battle plan. And that Johnny took a bullet in the back, and almost died).
For most, however, the jury was still out. But, it was Bella, that would wisely render the verdict. Her assessment of the real Johnny, Madrid or Lancer, was to wait: "He'll show us who he is". And Johnny did just that.
August 27, 2016.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/26/2016
Do so wish that your tags and back stories could have been incorporated into the original televised series. Lancer was so in need of committed writers, capable writers, producing stories with content continuity. They had a gold mind of secondary characters that they never developed beyond E1. These characters could have given a unique perspective into the diverse cultures, at the time. Stories about people working on the ranch, rather than various strangers. Sadly, too many Lancers writers, did not work the gold claim.
You, on the other hand, "Starry Diadem", have produced a "Bonanza" ( no, not referring, to the western by that name). Lancer's legacy, continues in the production of such crafted fan fiction tales.

In this first chapter, especially admired the knowing, yet, kindly, Cipriano. The tenderness exhibited by, him and his extended family, towards the dying, Auturo, was one of the most loving death scenes I have ever read. Moving this one, to tears.
August 26, 2016
twobrothers chapter 6 . 3/8/2015
Nice story. Love that Cipriano and his wife were so concerned that Johnny realize he belongs at Lancer.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
Johnny malnourished? Well, that's a stretch. If anyone looked malnourished in the pilot episode, it was Scott. That guy looked like a string bean! A good stiff wind would have blown him over.

But I'm enjoying this so far and I'll go along with a malnourished, too-thin Johnny. Hard for me to picture, though, since he looked so hot and totally fit! :)
wlk68 chapter 6 . 10/17/2008
This was lovely. I always enjoy seeing familiar and beloved characters through the eyes of "outsiders". Granted Cip and Bella are not true outsiders but they are not immediate family members either. This had a vaguely Upstairs, Downstairs feel to it. Very nicely done. I look forward to more stories from you. I think it would be cool to see the whole series from their point of view. *hint, hint*
SerenaDeb chapter 6 . 10/14/2008
That was such a wonderful story. Loved it.

Beautifully written and all the characters seemed very well-rounded. Thanks
Joe chapter 6 . 10/8/2008
A wonderful story full of lots of emotions from the anguish of loss to the joy of love and friendship, all wrapped neatly and watched over by the trusty segundo and his minx of a wife. Very well done and I hope to read more from you in the not too distant future.

Joe
Lancerfan chapter 6 . 10/8/2008
Oh no! You've finished it! I was wanting this to go on and on, but your pacing was just right so don't mind me. Still, it was a great story to finish off the trilogy and I grew to really love Cipriano and his fiesty wife. What a rascal she is, that Bella. I think Johnny Madrid's met his match when it comes to cool nerve and never backing down. Seems to me he'll need to watch his step or Bella will be sewing him a wedding suit before he's ready!
Rachelle chapter 1 . 10/7/2008
I love this series of stories- the others in the First Impressions trilogy as well as the chapters within this third installment! Beautiful characterizations, wonderful, textured exposition and a deft hand tying together the myriad characters, motivations and back stories. This is beautiful work, Starry! I look forward to more from you anywhere in the Lancer universe!

Rachelle
lucy62 chapter 6 . 10/7/2008
Wow! I don't even know where to begin to let you know how much I enjoyed this story! Your characters are well crafted and the rhythm of the storyline flowed seamlessy from start to finish! I found myself laughing, anticipating and just plain enjoying the story. I hated to see it end, so I hope you will have more stories soon!
kittytrypsin chapter 6 . 10/7/2008
I think I love Bella and her clever put-downs! Of course, I love Cip too, but my heart belongs firmly to Johnny Madrid Lancer and his mestizo eyes. Who cares for brown puppy-dog ones when they can have sapphire, azure, and whatever description takes your fancy?

Wonderful story from start to finish and I'm just sad it's over. I hope you write another soon.

Kitty