Reviews for Ectomancer
Ralyn Longs chapter 6 . 10/14/2008
A rather unusual story you've got here. Especially with this last twist, it makes things rather, err, quirky. I really have no idea as to where you're going with this. It's refreshing and makes me wonder, but at the same time it feels a bit random. (Kidnapped to a gladiator ship..? :P) It's intriguing though, so please do keep up the great writing and I'll see where the ship floats to

Thanks for writing!
bighairydude chapter 6 . 10/14/2008
I have enjoyed the story so far, for the most part.

I do have a couple of complaints. A second dumbles clone. You had already done this don't you think that they would have set something up to mitigate this security hole? Is the security on the Burrow so soft that any person could just walk up to it? No wards?

The second complaint is a little bigger. Harry fell into a different world. He can do it when ever he wants. I don't know about you but I would be a little interested in this. I know playing with giant cows is fun and making new spells is interesting BUT he can move to a different plane of existence. I think that I would be a little more interested in what this is. I might even ask someone if not Dumbledore than maybe flitwick or even the nurse. It just seems to be too big of an occurrence to let slide. It is like there is this giant mystery but you would rather go for a walk in the park? I just don't get it.

Really thought not bad. Keep up the writing and if you got chapters done why wait to post them?

Thanks for sharing
Hwi-Noree chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
yes! awesome chapter! But Harry (and the Weasleys) are kinda idiots for getting fooled AGAIN by another fake Dumbledore! I mean Constant Vigilance, right?

I can't wait to see how Harry gets out of this one seeing as he's on a ship and everything. But the elves did say that Dumbledore would be there at some point. Will he have a part to play in Harry's eventual escape (which I'm just assuming will happen)?

I'm really really liking how the plot is building up. It all fits but there are missing pieces that I can't even see and it makes the pieces you can see that much more interesting. After reading the summary again for this fic I'm wondering how it could all possibly fit together. I've always liked the Master of Death title Harry earned in DH but how does that fit into this fic right now? What does it have to do with the puddle world and his magic acting strangely and this brown haired man who is easily bored? I'm wondering all these things and me wants answers! Geez man ya gotta update. I know you want to ;p

much love, ELLE
Satsukifujin chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I like Toliman, can't wait to see him more in later chapters! Wonder what harry's going to do with those nails... hm.. good thing he can escape through puddles later on! lol Keep it up! Awesome story, unlike anything I've read so far!
Paul chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
AWESOME story so far...
emanon chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Intriguing story, but I have to admit...I'm really disappointed they got suckered by another Dumbledore clone. Wouldn't they have been on guard for that? And how do these clones, who obviously mean harm, keep getting past the wards.
anon chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
One of the things I really liked about this chapter was turning the brain things into a positive, or at least a neutral thing for Ron.
lindsayprice chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Oh. My. Gosh. BEST FAN FICTION EVER! I've read other fan fiction before, and for the most part its been underdeveloped and totally based up on how the writer wants it to be. I love the fact that you stick to how the characters were formed in the other books. BRILLIANT! Please write more soon, I'm dying here! :) thanks so much.
Shadow Lighthawk chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Ack! I can't believe you stopped there! Man, that was like running full tilt only to be brought up short by a collar and leash. You know that yipping sound dogs make when they get jerked up short? Yeah, I made that noise.

I like Toliman already. He seems like a decent sort, and I think he could be a real grounding influence for Harry, a little like Hagrid but with less morals and lots of interesting bits of information tucked inside his head. I also sense a frame-up in the matter of the deaths of his uncle and cousin. I thought his being a bear animagus was a great touch. It puts the phrase 'bear-baiting' in a new light, that's for sure.

Speaking of bear-baiting, I think it's interesting that you're making a point of showing the seedy underbelly of the Wizarding World. It's an ugly place, as such places always are, and I'm deeply interested in how the Galloping Galleon and its less-opulent kin might play into the plot later on. I'm even more interested in how Harry's experiences with such brutality and indifference to human life will alter his character. That they *will* alter his character is certain; for someone with Harry's life experiences, with his inherent ideas of right and wrong, the Galleon is going to be a powerful forge, or perhaps a crucible. I imagine that Harry will come out of this a stronger individual, but carrying the marks of the forging. This is a kind of evil that Harry has never seen before, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles it.

Harry's offer of alliance to Toliman was a little sudden, but not entirely unexpected. Toliman basically put to words many of Harry's doubts and fears. It's the seeds of a powerful bond between the two of them. This is another one of those times, though, where Harry is showing a depth to himself that he doesn't even realize he possesses.

I'm both intrigued and annoyed by Harry's captor. He's intriguing because of the idea that he might be representative of a third party. Not Voldemort-Dark or Dumbledore-Light, but just... criminal. Still evil, still worthy of being squashed like a bug, but not out for genocide or world domination. He's annoying because he kidnapped Harry, and because of his attitude. The Dumbledore impersonation makes me think that the first attempt on Harry was by this man as well, and didn't have anything to do with Voldemort at all. Which would also be interesting, if only because I would then wonder just what Voldemort was up to during that time.

I'm a little appalled with Harry that he wasn't more cautious about Dumbledore. I mean, there had already been *one* impersonation. On the other hand, I have to say that whoever that guy is, he has big brass balls to pull that sort of stunt a second time.

Can't wait for the next chapter! I suspect those nails are going to be deadly little projectiles.
nxkris chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
nice chapter and cant wait to see what you have him do
C.W. Pruitt chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I'm utterly baffled by this story thus far. There's so many different aspects that I don't understand: mirror world, what sort of ship the Galleon is, wild magic, spellcrafting. However, instead of abandoning the story because it's so vexing, I find myself almost angry that more isn't written. I want to know wtf is going on. So please, update soon. I think I like where this is headed so far, but I can't quite make up my mind because I have no clue of what you're going to pen next. I look forward to the next installment.
SeriousScribble chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Well, in response to your statement ... as longs as it's not Harry/Hermione, there's not much that can throw me off, so thanks for that :)

Then, to the newest chapters. I was being honest when I said I very much liked the start, and I'll be honest now. During the fifth chapter, I felt my attention wander and I even put it aside a few times. And in regards to this chapter, I'll second and expand on what Datakim and Taure wrote.

Now, this is all with reservations - obviously, I have no idea what your plans are. So this is how I see it now, just from reading this chapter.

"People have been hearing that Harry Potter, young and overconfident young wizard, wants to brave the challenge of the Pit, and without the use of his wand! They know you’re on board ..."

Completely disregarding the use of Imposter!Dumbledore trying to get Harry (again, and *succeeding*, as if they learned nothing), and excluding the possibility of this Dumbledore being real, the logic of the chapter breaks down right there. If "people have been hearing", then so has Dumbledore. Period. Even with that excuse:

"And the beauty of it is that anyone who might have been in attendance to care one way or the other is currently running all over the country, beating the bushes looking for you!"

it doesn't work. If there are as many people aboard as is suggested, there *has* to be someone who can't keep his mouth shut and will leak the information outside. There's no way Harry would've been there *for days* without someone coming to get him out. It doesn't make sense.

Even more so for Voldemort - if Lucius is there, and as such "knows [Harry is] on board", then Voldemort knows. And even a pathetically stupid Voldemort wouldn't let that chance pass. Barring a deus-ex-machina of Rowling-proportions, and assuming Dumbledore really doesn't know where Harry is, Harry should be dead exactly at this moment.

So, as it is (again, from my POV), it looks like Harry is at the Pit just because. Because you wanted a fight, because you thought it sounded cool, whatever - the point is, it seems as if he's there for no actual reason, which is bad. Things should never happen just because.

I'm waiting for you to prove me wrong :)

On the plus side, the technical aspects of the writing are as good as they were, and the concept and description of the Galloping Galleon is very interesting, as well as original.

I'm wondering where you'll take the story from here.

- SS
Minato Namikaze chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Good chap. keep it up! Can't wait for the next update.
Innomine chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Ugh, the one thing that pissed me off about this chapter, why the hell did Harry fall for the Imposter!Dumbledore again?

That really pisses me off.
Memory King chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I despise cliffhangers with a passion.

Can't wait to read more!
922 | « Prev Page 1 .. 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 .. Last Next »