Reviews for Ectomancer
cephygnus chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Cool!

I can't wait to see how he gets out of this.
Shadow Lighthawk chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
YES. I can't tell you how pleased I was to see the update notice in my inbox.

That first battle was every bit as horrible as I knew it would be. While the blow-by-blow seemed to slip back from the peak of tension from time to time, it was really very well choreographed, and I liked Harry's solution to the herd of Aurochs. I also like the irony. Harry's fight with the Troll was something else again. His empathy for the Troll was like a punch in the gut. That fight was Harry learning another painful truth: even if you don't want to kill someone, sometimes they don't give you a choice. Hell, *I* even felt for the Troll. Even though I knew it was coming, this systematic stripping of the last remnants of Harry's innocence hurts.

What a powerful thing, though, for Harry to see beyond himself in a moment of life and death. The Pit didn't reduce Harry to a basic animal fight-or-flight, survive-at-all-costs mindset.

You conveyed Harry's emotional pain and his physical exertion and exhaustion very well. In fact, you've done that throughout: provided us a very clear picture of Harry's emotional state, I mean. It gives him a lot of life, character-wise, and a stronger emotional connection to the reader. Also, I think that Harry really does feel emotions that strongly.

If he can harness those emotions, they might become an enormous source of strength for him. Correction: they're already that, but they could be *more* of a strength, not to mention more reliable. The flipside of that, of course, is that such strong emotion can be a vulnerability. If your opponent incites you to anger but retains his own cool head, he places you at a marked disadvantage.

Harry's captor really does piss me off. That dismissive attitude - I just want to sock him one. Or two or three. I really hope he becomes a casualty in Harry's eventual escape. Or better yet, a casualty of his own cleverness. This chapter afforded us an interesting look into his motivations. What does this guy have against Dumbledore? I mean, I can sympathize. *I* certainly don't like Dumbledore. In his own way, Dumbledore is just as high-handed and dismissive as Harry's captor.

OKAY, wait. I can't keep calling this guy 'Harry's captor'. He needs either a name or a catchy epithet. 'That annoying sonuvabitch' is too long... Hey, do you watch Criminal Minds? You know how they call the killer the 'unknown subject', or 'unsub' for short? I hereby declare that Harry's captor shall be known as the unSOB, at least until we have a name.

Random question: Why are Harry's protections 'pithy'? Are you sure that's the descriptor you wanted?

Moving on. Lucius Malfoy. Here's hoping that Harry clobbers the creep. Yeah, no deep thoughts there.

I see that Harry is growing into a deeper anger at Dumbledore, a phenomenon of which I wholeheartedly approve. I'll be interested to see how it plays out, but this, right here, looks to me like the beginning of the end for Harry's faith in the old man. You also make a very good point this chapter: Harry was far less wary of the second imposter-Dumbledore because he thought the situation had been sorted. Once again, lack of information leads Harry to trouble. You make another good point about Dumbledore this chapter: he really is stretched thin, what with all the different things he does. This point doesn't get a lot of airtime in fic, except as a footnote in abused!Harry stories, and I like that you're making the point. I think Dumbledore's many jobs are an interesting insight to his character. For him to hold so many important positions says to me that he is controlling, probably doesn't trust people to get it right without him, has trouble delegating and he has to be at least somewhat ambitious, not to mention power-hungry. Even if he wants that power so he can "fight evil". I also think he's a very proud man, which plays into your point about how the unSOB impersonating him is a personal affront. Anyway, you what all these qualities *aren't*? Good for a leader.

I think Tonks is sitting at the tip of that iceberg with her musings this chapter. I really like her POV. She's younger and not as entrenched, but she has a lot of training for a difficult job and she knows Harry somewhat. I think Tonks will either break off to Harry's faction, or be a spy for him, which she would be very good at.

Another thing Tonks was getting at was the way the Wizarding World views Harry. Actually, you touched on this with Harry, too. He really isn't a person to them, is he? He's a hero and a fairytale, a celebrity, a name with connotations of white knights attatched. And I bet that, not too deeply down in the subconscious of the Wizarding World (at least the British one) there's an element of fascinated fear attached. They ask themselves: Just how *did* he survive the Killing Curse? A parselmouth, you say? Everyone's saying he's crazy... And of course, there's the jealousy that's always associated with fame, or at least people's perceptions of it. I really hadn't given it too much thought before, but talk about your ugly cocktails. I hope to see you confronting this later in the story; like the Dumbledore-stretched-thin angle, this doesn't get a lot of play from the POV of someone who isn't Harry.

I do have to say, Harry making a wand is a little cliche. On the other hand, I've never seen Harry improvise a wand last minute out of a table leg, either. The 'table leg' part of that is really quite brilliant. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works. What's that quote? "The knowledge that one is about to be hanged focuses the mind wonderfully"? Harry does seem to think well on his feet, and I love his flashes of intuition.

At this point I'd like to reiterate my desire to see Lucius Malfoy get clobbered. Just, y'know, saying.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Sturdivant chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
I read through all off it, and it's a great story. My only problem is that 'the man' is too good. I'm waiting for him to crash and burn along side Malfoy, and I suspect that he will in the coming chapters.
SeriousScribble chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
I left you a longer review at DLP, in the WbA thread (even though I just realised that a quarter or so is most likely pointless, oh well), so I’ll just reiterate that I liked it, especially the ending. Harry building a wand from a table leg is Teh Awesome, because it’s reminds of good old MacGyver, and *that* is a level of awesomeness completely of its own.

Great :)
Minato Namikaze chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Awesome. Its really good, top-notch. Thanks for the quick update.
Quetzalcoatls chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
haha there's that potter ingenuity! great chapter update soon!
nxkris chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
great chapter and i love the idea to make a wand. I hope that you will make the next chapter as exciting. it would be nice if harry actually gives into his rage and takes out his captors. update soon.
NeoRyu777 chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Loving the story so far! Just looked back at the first chapter, and realized that he used fire back then too. Harry seems to have a real affinity for fire... or is that just when he focuses his rage?

He's also getting quite good at wandless magic, isn't he, even if his only available spells are Summoning, Banishing, and Fire. I wonder if he'll work up the nerve to try a different spell soon? Maybe Aguamenti? Then he would have a ready at a moment's notice way to travel to the Other Side.

Question: Harry uses water to travel to the Other Side. Does it have to be water, or can it be water-based mixtures? What keeps him from using something like, say, blood?
Some1Else2 chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Your story keeps getting more and more awesome. A little bit of a shaky start but you've overcome that well. Can't wait to read more!
derillianstone chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
This is rapidly getting more and more interesting.

Keep writing - I'd love to see this continue.
Memory King chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Only spotted this on my second read, but Fleur's name was misspelled.

Whatever, a fantastic chapter with lots of good descriptions and great action. Can't wait to read more!
Isaac A. Drake chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Oh now this is looking VERY interesting. Nice escape method btw.
The Pyromaniac chapter 7 . 10/17/2008
Fuck. Yes.

Keep up the excellent work!
Failing Mentality chapter 6 . 10/17/2008
I think I am starting to like you.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 6 . 10/17/2008
interesting... and while I can understand the reasons for the OOC ness, try to do it in a way that is not very out -of-canon( but then... I do the same thing myself... so...* sheepish grin*)

I like this fanfic. it intrigues me.
947 | « Prev Page 1 .. 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 .. Last Next »