Reviews for Ectomancer
nxkris chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
nice chapter and cant wait to see what you have him do
C.W. Pruitt chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I'm utterly baffled by this story thus far. There's so many different aspects that I don't understand: mirror world, what sort of ship the Galleon is, wild magic, spellcrafting. However, instead of abandoning the story because it's so vexing, I find myself almost angry that more isn't written. I want to know wtf is going on. So please, update soon. I think I like where this is headed so far, but I can't quite make up my mind because I have no clue of what you're going to pen next. I look forward to the next installment.
SeriousScribble chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Well, in response to your statement ... as longs as it's not Harry/Hermione, there's not much that can throw me off, so thanks for that :)

Then, to the newest chapters. I was being honest when I said I very much liked the start, and I'll be honest now. During the fifth chapter, I felt my attention wander and I even put it aside a few times. And in regards to this chapter, I'll second and expand on what Datakim and Taure wrote.

Now, this is all with reservations - obviously, I have no idea what your plans are. So this is how I see it now, just from reading this chapter.

"People have been hearing that Harry Potter, young and overconfident young wizard, wants to brave the challenge of the Pit, and without the use of his wand! They know you’re on board ..."

Completely disregarding the use of Imposter!Dumbledore trying to get Harry (again, and *succeeding*, as if they learned nothing), and excluding the possibility of this Dumbledore being real, the logic of the chapter breaks down right there. If "people have been hearing", then so has Dumbledore. Period. Even with that excuse:

"And the beauty of it is that anyone who might have been in attendance to care one way or the other is currently running all over the country, beating the bushes looking for you!"

it doesn't work. If there are as many people aboard as is suggested, there *has* to be someone who can't keep his mouth shut and will leak the information outside. There's no way Harry would've been there *for days* without someone coming to get him out. It doesn't make sense.

Even more so for Voldemort - if Lucius is there, and as such "knows [Harry is] on board", then Voldemort knows. And even a pathetically stupid Voldemort wouldn't let that chance pass. Barring a deus-ex-machina of Rowling-proportions, and assuming Dumbledore really doesn't know where Harry is, Harry should be dead exactly at this moment.

So, as it is (again, from my POV), it looks like Harry is at the Pit just because. Because you wanted a fight, because you thought it sounded cool, whatever - the point is, it seems as if he's there for no actual reason, which is bad. Things should never happen just because.

I'm waiting for you to prove me wrong :)

On the plus side, the technical aspects of the writing are as good as they were, and the concept and description of the Galloping Galleon is very interesting, as well as original.

I'm wondering where you'll take the story from here.

- SS
Minato Namikaze chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Good chap. keep it up! Can't wait for the next update.
Innomine chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Ugh, the one thing that pissed me off about this chapter, why the hell did Harry fall for the Imposter!Dumbledore again?

That really pisses me off.
Memory King chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I despise cliffhangers with a passion.

Can't wait to read more!
fletchp chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
yay, fight fight fight fight fight! wonder what he is against
Datakim chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
The whole "other-side" idea is unique and fascinating, and made me interested in this story. However there are some nagging things that annoy me. The latest chapter especially has some.

For instance, having Harry be captured by a false Dumbledore again was just weak and boring. And infact, having Harry be captured at all was rather foolish in my view. I mean given that Harry had just been attacked a short while ago, you would think both Dumbledore and the order would be watching him like hawks and making sure everyone around him truly was the real thing. Having Harry captured so easily just made EVERYONE look like pathetic morons. I mean for example, it did not occur to Dumbledore to come up with some password or phrase to idenfity himself to Harry even knowing that there are bad guys there with pieces of his hair that like to use polyjuice? Ridiculous.

The whole pit-fighting thing was again rather unbelievable to me. Supposedly it is common knowledge that Harry is expected to fight? If so, why the heck has Dumbledore(Or Voldemort for that matter) not attacked the ship already? I mean with Malfoy there Voldemort should know, and I would expect he wants Harry for himself. Also having some totally random person with no motivation kidnap Harry simply to send him to die in a pit-fight did not seem all that believable to me.

This whole chapter felt as if you wanted Harry to take part in a pit-fight, without caring at all if it made any sense for him to be there or not. And that simply does not work.

I simply could not suspend disbelief enough to enjoy this chapter. Sorry.
IMuShin chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I add the story to my alert list and its updated only a few hours later. How's that for timing, eh? An excellent chapter to read and I look forward to the next one.
Taure chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Hm...this chapter threw me off a bit. The pacing is all messed up.

Moreoever, it's kinda unbelievable. Polyjuice is not some infinitely powerful infiltration potion. Magic is able to see through it (see the Marauders map) and so the protections around the Burrow shouldn't have let whoever it was disguised as Dumbledore in. You'd also think that Harry would have learnt something from his first time he met a polyjuiced Dumbledore. Then there's aslo the matter of Harry's guards.

Harry is being an idiot, which doesn't go with the rest of your story, because you aren't writing Harry as an idiot in general (except when it comes to not being able to see what it obvious about his new powers).

Finally, it's also rather dull, reading the same plot device twice.

The Galleon is interesting, as is the pit, but a *proper* introduction to the ship would have been much more favourable. This just all felt a bit rushed.
cephygnus chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for more.
TheOneKnownAsEmerald chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
woah, this story is actually really cool. I can't wait to see what happens next in the story, it is so awesome! And i really hope that you think about my Slytherin pairing idea.
AshenV chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
You cannot stop there! No, no, no! I loathe cliffies! Every reader out there loathes cliffies. And let me tell you, they are not fun.

Apart from that, I loved the update. Ha, Dumbles #3 and they fell for it, though I did think it was a fake one again. I can't wait to see how Harry does, and will he use his new found 'shifting' for the lack of a better word, ability.

I don't mind your portrayal of the 'real' Dumbles, on the contrary. I think the man is the personification of grey - all great leaders were, are and will be. It is a requirement if you want to deal with these kinds of problems, so the way you describe your Dumbles bodes good for me. Thanks again - oh and do hurry my dear, or we'll hunt you down ;)
Crazym0i chapter 5 . 10/13/2008
Nasser Himura chapter 5 . 10/12/2008
Really good story so far, DLP is right in the regard that this story has some cool and original ideas. Curious to see how far he takes it though and what the limits of being in this alternate universe type thing are. Are the "Dementors" that attacked Harry actually that or are they something similar to a Langolier?(Stephen King Movie) Looking forward to the continuation of this story and seeing where it leads to next, like this idea of Harry learning more about how spells work and are created, hope he grows some backbone and ask Dumbledore for help.

Keep up the good work, Peace...
913 | « Prev Page 1 .. 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 .. Last Next »