Reviews for Ectomancer
Memory King chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I despise cliffhangers with a passion.

Can't wait to read more!
fletchp chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
yay, fight fight fight fight fight! wonder what he is against
Datakim chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
The whole "other-side" idea is unique and fascinating, and made me interested in this story. However there are some nagging things that annoy me. The latest chapter especially has some.

For instance, having Harry be captured by a false Dumbledore again was just weak and boring. And infact, having Harry be captured at all was rather foolish in my view. I mean given that Harry had just been attacked a short while ago, you would think both Dumbledore and the order would be watching him like hawks and making sure everyone around him truly was the real thing. Having Harry captured so easily just made EVERYONE look like pathetic morons. I mean for example, it did not occur to Dumbledore to come up with some password or phrase to idenfity himself to Harry even knowing that there are bad guys there with pieces of his hair that like to use polyjuice? Ridiculous.

The whole pit-fighting thing was again rather unbelievable to me. Supposedly it is common knowledge that Harry is expected to fight? If so, why the heck has Dumbledore(Or Voldemort for that matter) not attacked the ship already? I mean with Malfoy there Voldemort should know, and I would expect he wants Harry for himself. Also having some totally random person with no motivation kidnap Harry simply to send him to die in a pit-fight did not seem all that believable to me.

This whole chapter felt as if you wanted Harry to take part in a pit-fight, without caring at all if it made any sense for him to be there or not. And that simply does not work.

I simply could not suspend disbelief enough to enjoy this chapter. Sorry.
IMuShin chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I add the story to my alert list and its updated only a few hours later. How's that for timing, eh? An excellent chapter to read and I look forward to the next one.
Taure chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
Hm...this chapter threw me off a bit. The pacing is all messed up.

Moreoever, it's kinda unbelievable. Polyjuice is not some infinitely powerful infiltration potion. Magic is able to see through it (see the Marauders map) and so the protections around the Burrow shouldn't have let whoever it was disguised as Dumbledore in. You'd also think that Harry would have learnt something from his first time he met a polyjuiced Dumbledore. Then there's aslo the matter of Harry's guards.

Harry is being an idiot, which doesn't go with the rest of your story, because you aren't writing Harry as an idiot in general (except when it comes to not being able to see what it obvious about his new powers).

Finally, it's also rather dull, reading the same plot device twice.

The Galleon is interesting, as is the pit, but a *proper* introduction to the ship would have been much more favourable. This just all felt a bit rushed.
cephygnus chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for more.
TheOneKnownAsEmerald chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
woah, this story is actually really cool. I can't wait to see what happens next in the story, it is so awesome! And i really hope that you think about my Slytherin pairing idea.
AshenV chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
You cannot stop there! No, no, no! I loathe cliffies! Every reader out there loathes cliffies. And let me tell you, they are not fun.

Apart from that, I loved the update. Ha, Dumbles #3 and they fell for it, though I did think it was a fake one again. I can't wait to see how Harry does, and will he use his new found 'shifting' for the lack of a better word, ability.

I don't mind your portrayal of the 'real' Dumbles, on the contrary. I think the man is the personification of grey - all great leaders were, are and will be. It is a requirement if you want to deal with these kinds of problems, so the way you describe your Dumbles bodes good for me. Thanks again - oh and do hurry my dear, or we'll hunt you down ;)
Crazym0i chapter 5 . 10/13/2008
Nasser Himura chapter 5 . 10/12/2008
Really good story so far, DLP is right in the regard that this story has some cool and original ideas. Curious to see how far he takes it though and what the limits of being in this alternate universe type thing are. Are the "Dementors" that attacked Harry actually that or are they something similar to a Langolier?(Stephen King Movie) Looking forward to the continuation of this story and seeing where it leads to next, like this idea of Harry learning more about how spells work and are created, hope he grows some backbone and ask Dumbledore for help.

Keep up the good work, Peace...
sickmindofmine chapter 5 . 10/12/2008
I really like this story, and I like how you take the critics in stride and with good grace. I'm a bit of a nit picker, so I'm putting in some constructive criticism of my own;

1. The Dursleys were all about normality and conformity. The sentence 'Uncle Vernon would be a baseball fan in a nation of footballers' is very mind boggling for me. He's not even hiding it, as proven by the existence of the hat. It's plain impossible for Vernon to like a Yank's sport instead of football and flaunting it. What would the neighbor say?

2. You used Accio spell to summon wall. It's opinion based, there are a lot of discussion about the limit/no-limit of Summoning Charm. The one in Dursley's house may be plausible seeing it is a muggle house, albeit with a blood ward, but it rattled me when it was used in Diagon Alley.

3. I'm not so sure about using Area 51 reference. That being said I admit I don't know whether Area 51 is as famous in UK as in US, whether it has similar impact to their culture and speech as in US. I expect Tonks, as a Brit and a witch, would be using an analogy that's a bit closer to home.

4. I like you make Harry study and not so much as stupid as in canon. Just don't over do it, alright. Many fics make Harry, after an epiphany/life-changing experience in the summer , go Einstein/Merlin-like. Usually, when the summer's over, Harry's so powerful he could kick LV and AD's butts in one curse. Let's hope you're not going to do the usual.

5. I like Hagrid. He's absolutely brilliant with magical creatures, and he obviously a good man. Let's face the fact though, he's a lousy teacher.

I'm glad you update regularly, and the length of the chapters are very satisfactory too. I can't wait to see the story unfolds.

P.S By the way, there's one misspelled thestral in chapter 5 (you typed thestrel)
PsychoLeopard chapter 5 . 10/12/2008
Well, this is certainly interesting. Not quite like anything I've seen so far, either.

You've got a good grasp of Hagrid's character and accent. Well done! Hagrid tends to be a bit neglected in powerful!Harry stories, I think. Kudos on being original.

Well written, and a nice start. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
assosson chapter 5 . 10/12/2008
Alex chapter 5 . 10/12/2008
Found this through the DLP forum.

Very original story, and excellent so far. This last chapter felt a bit like a filler, but I can't wait to see where this is going!
tdk99992000 chapter 5 . 10/12/2008