Reviews for The Past Is A Foreign Country
1WiththeButterfly chapter 7 . 7/30/2010
...well, shit, I'm starting to cry.

WWithout a doubt, this was one of the most emotional, tear-jerking pieces of writing I have ever read. So much was put into this, so very much.

And then I remember your Authors note in chapter five. I dont know how to take that.

This was a beatiful story, nonetheless.
fledge chapter 7 . 10/19/2009
Even if this is becoming somewhat repetitive - another marvellous chapter, It's always amazing how you can blend this dark theme with these little rays of light here and there. The personality split of Magda/Tonker is a splendid idea her - it's probably one of the very few ways os preserving her sanity left to her in that horrible place.

Wonderful, too, how you build up the topic of Tilda and fire.

And, of course, the way you always hint at the horrors of the places outside the Grey House is perfect - far more effective than any detailed description could ever be. After all, it's the readers imagination that has to work everything out; and horrors will differ from one reader to the other.

As you say in the beginning - certainly not pretty, but EXTREMELY beautiful.
fledge chapter 6 . 9/30/2009
A stark counterpoint to the long previous chapter. But even the very shortness seems to have its narrative function here - it's cut short, just like the assault is cut short in the final sentence.

And of course it is an absolutely wicked cliffhanger, ending this part the way you do.
fledge chapter 5 . 9/30/2009
Another admirable - adorable - piece. Indeed, the insight into the workings of these girls' minds and emotions is heartbreaking. And once again, your headlines are pure genius. This tale would really deserve more than the meagre 8 reviews! Please continue keep up your effort - at least until their escape!
fledge chapter 4 . 6/3/2009
It is always a pleasure to read your stories, but this one is outstanding even from the rest. It is absolutely amazing, sweet and totally heartrending to follow their tiny steps towards each other, with all the fear and yearning constantly at odds. Wonderful psychological insight, indeed. The scene with the Father is another masterpiece of creepiness, the very lack of anything actually happening to Tilda makes it even more sinister. And then to make up for the depressive mood with the sunny little gem of the last scene! Truly great!(1)

(1) Even if the writin style is not exactly Terry-esque. But I doubt this sort of storytelling would be exactly his, anyway.
superbanana chapter 4 . 6/2/2009
Another stunning chapter, I loved it :)

And the hint of danger with the priest, cuz we all know that tilda's got a lot of trouble coming her way, was excellent.

SB
superbanana chapter 3 . 4/17/2009
why has this fic only got 5 reviews jeez. It's great I love how Tonkers the older and slightly more bitter of the two, it really keeps up with the characters in MR. Please update soon. I really like it so far :)
fledge chapter 3 . 4/14/2009
Another heartbreakingly beautiful piece, with extremely sophisticated headlines. The real beauty of it all - if beauty be the correct word for a description of such disgusting events - is that it is absolutely realistic, and probably is still happening on roundworld every day.
fledge chapter 2 . 4/14/2009
Yes, reality is usually stronger than narrativium, don't we know that? Like the princess does NOT marry the prince, or the frog kissed REMAINS a frog.

Beautiful again, and extremely touching. Amazing, really what you can achieve with those few words.
fledge chapter 1 . 11/5/2008
Yes, bautiful is about what sums it up - and definitely not pretty!
eruthiel chapter 1 . 9/30/2008
*bursts into tears* WRITE QUICKER. I'm begging you, please write more soon.

(Sorry about the emotional reaction. I guess I'm dreaming that there's all this goodfic around... Seriously, love your style, love the theme. Good luck with the rest.)
superbanana chapter 1 . 9/30/2008
please, please, please a thousend times please carry on writing :)