Reviews for The Dentists' Daughter
Ag Surfer chapter 4 . 7/18
About once a year, I get into one of these "moods" and venture back to this website, lurking and searching for good stories.

Old Crow never fails to deliver. This was just what I wanted; a fun, easy to read, good old fashioned story.

And, just by reading this, I have picked up four more stories that I'm sure will also be worthy.

O-C gets an EE for this effort. Thanks, old man!
Son of Zeus0001 chapter 4 . 6/22
While Hermione lying to her parents about what goes on in the magical community irritates me to no end, I have no doubts that it is 100% what actually happens in canon. Given that they never even attempt to interfere, and how Hermione acts in the last book(mind-raping them so they'll be "safe"), I can get behind this interpretation completely.

Nice job.
Guest in Europe chapter 4 . 6/5
A nice little back story. I enjoyed the way Hermione painted their adventures as learning experiences! Don't we all try and protect our parents from our mishaps, even if we're not chasing dark wizards!

Thank you!
Guest in Europe chapter 3 . 6/5
OK, I'm back on board now. Enjoyed this chapter hugely... loved the introduction of Hedwig, who will have to mature rather quickly given that Harry will be in with Hagrid in a few weeks.
Thanks for your wonderful creativity.
Guest in Europe chapter 2 . 6/5
You do seem determined to relocate JKR's story to some American universe. School commissary? As my American friends say 'purlease!' School shop would be the term... if indeed any British school had a shop! Some have old-fashioned Tuckshops, but really...!
The Drs Granger - dentists both - would be very unlikely to serve guests, particularly adult guests any sort of sugary drink, especially not Cola! Cup of tea would be much more likely!
I'm sticking with this short story because another author I enjoy raved about your stories. Hope I can get over my irritation with the jarring cultural references, otherwise, I will no doubt find other stories and depart your otherwise creative shores.
Guest in Europe chapter 1 . 6/5
I like the way you've found a nice 'gap' to fill by telling Hermione's back story. Small crits: in the UK we don't refer to the ocean; Brighton is by the sea so McGonagle took them on an impromptu visit to the seaside. Also, back in the 70s and 80s, when Dan & Emma were studying, we didn't pay tuition fees - these were introduced much later and have only recently reached levels where people have to think about how to pay off their debt.
Sorry to sound picky, but these details irritate and stop the flow of enjoying your wonderful creativity.
at-nightfall chapter 1 . 4/28
Remember: Internet in 1990 meant usenet news, ftp sites usually called by IP address and email. Access was by 9600 baud modem or slower. No web sites and no search engines. A lot of users only had dial up to mailbox sites.
Saissa chapter 4 . 3/31
This does not make sense to me.

Why would magical people, like the diggorys and the weasleys, have to travel to the muggle side of Kings cross station just to go through gate 9 and 3/4 to the magical side? If they were magical, they could just apparate directly to the platform and bypass the muggle side altogether.

Everytime someone apparates away from the muggle side - like the Diggory's did - the secrecy statute is broken, because a muggle (a non magical person with NO magical familiy members) could see them just disappear right in front of them.

This is probably one of JKR's continuity errors, but it is bothering me.
jonski chapter 4 . 12/15/2014
Personally I don't like that Hermione don't spend much time with her Parents during vacation. I also didn't like what Hermione did at the 7th book were she erased and modifed her parents memories "to save them"...her parents are smart and above all a human. If she just been honest and talked with her parents im sure she can persuade them to go abroad but what she did is she didn't give parents a a slave who don't know what to do.
sisyphus1967 chapter 4 . 11/13/2014
I'm not generally a fan of short stories as I read them too quickly. However I quite enjoyed this one from the Granger parents point of view. Too bad it couldn't continue but I understand... Thanks for writing and please write more!
ProfessorPedant chapter 1 . 11/12/2014
Not that you are going to change anything, but in June 1990 there were no web sites and the Internet was not publicly (mostly used by military and academia) available.

On the other hand I really like your Falklands allusions.
Gioia chapter 3 . 10/30/2014
One of my favorite aspects of your stories is the way you always properly refer to Hermione's parents as Dr. Granger and Dr. Granger, or as Doctors Granger. I know authors don't necessarily mean it this way, but it has long struck me as a denigrating, belittling sign of disrespect when magical folks address them as merely Mr. and Mrs.
Amanthya chapter 4 . 9/25/2014
Interesting to see from their pov. Wish you'd continued it through the series end.
fadewind chapter 4 . 8/19/2014
Much enjoyed as expected. Thank you!
fadewind chapter 1 . 8/19/2014
You know what I thought when I first saw this title! I though of that movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith (the assassins), having a daughter as a witch, with a cover of Dentists.

And you are right, I don't think I have seen a Hermione story like this yet. It will be an interesting read all the same.