Reviews for Take Two
FiBeeN chapter 16 . 7/1
I'm so glad I found this story. What a little gem, one of the best modern adaptations of an Austen that I've read. Thank you
KeJae chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
Okay...there is one thing I have found about stories like this. They are annoying, and life interrupts when reading them (or two things). Why annoying? Because authors like you write so well I don't want to put it down...so I stay up late for one more chapter, wake up. early cause my brain is running with the plot, and get annoyed when things like customers at work and necessities like eating interrupt the good parts. Why keep reading? Because, a good story...is a great way to relax or improve a bad day. With Christmas coming up, I would like you to know that I will probably be reading this again in the near future :). I have grinned, smiled, laughed, puzzled, used deductive reasoning, and teared up over the last few days while reading this. You did a very good job creating the mysteries, humor, romance, drama, and life of the story. I look forward to the possibility of reading more in the future!
Guest chapter 8 . 6/26/2013
I don't usually bother to post a review, and from what I've seen, you probably don't even use this account anymore. I just wanted to say that if someday you bother to read this, you're one of my favorite people. It's early morning where I am, but I just can't stop reading your fanfiction. I'm a HUGE fan of onomastics and the second you wrote, "Everyone can see it but poor Celia, who's as blind as a bat," I'm struck. Thank you for that. It's made my day. No one appreciates giving names with meaning anymore.
M chapter 16 . 3/2/2013
Lovely story... I usually don't read modern adaptations of classics but this was very well done - entertaining and gripping plot and loved that there were still a few surprises (like lauren NOT marrying Locke)! I'm looking forward to more of your work :)
Zara chapter 16 . 9/16/2012
Absolutely LOVED this story! I've read a few modern Persuasion fanfics but this one is by far the best - It was so good in fact, that I spent a whole Sunday afternoon reading it :-) My favourite character asides from the two protagonists was Locke. I would love to read more about him! I loved the wedding and the beautiful setting you placed it in. All in all, I would like to thank you for a great story. Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen book mainly because it's reflects in some part my own life minus the happy ending.

I look forward to reading more of your work
nowishowsoon chapter 16 . 8/23/2012
I really loved this adaptation of persuasion. Its my second time reading it and still love it :)
ariellangy chapter 16 . 7/6/2011
I read this story in less than two days because I took every opportunity I could to read a few minutes here and there. Take Two is my favorite Jane Austen-inspired fanfiction I have ever read, and I've read a lot! the writing was polished, the plot entertaining, and the content was so pure and mesmerizing. Thank you for sharing this mature, excellent piece of literature!
Anon chapter 16 . 1/31/2011
Just spent the better part of my morning reading this... There are far too few Persuasion fics out there! Please write another- I loved your Celia and Tom!
Dancing Petals chapter 1 . 9/1/2010
Hi Amy!

Three days I took to read your story through, with the usual pauses necessary in a life which needs to study according to a deadline. I didn't have time to read your story as much as I wanted to, so I cut time out from my sleep. May I say that it was worth it?

I have too much to say and can't assemble my thoughts together coherently enough now, so there is a chance that you might get a return visit from me-every time I remember something specially awesome about your story which I forget to include in this review. I am guessing that it will be no pain to write about at all.

Firstly, I am SO glad that you didn't make Locke marry Lauren! That was my greatest fear considering the wonderful person you made him out to be, and the totally dumb levels you made Lauren achieve. I really admire your changing that portion of the story the most. Locke is such a nice creation!

I think this is the only Persuasion fanfic which made me sit on edge for its thriller quotient even more than its romance one. It was a stroke of genius, and everything panned out so beautifully! And I love how you made Cassie so much nicer. She is a sweetheart, rather than the pathetic creature Mary Musgrove is. Indeed, I should just sum up by saying that I love your characterization. Even their flaws are lovable (or at the least, pardonable) and I don't care about Celia's family since she isn't too upset about them either. Alex and Ashley are more understandable than Walter Elliot and Mrs. Clay. And Jen and Scott are pure didn't overdo anything - the balance was perfect.

I was also intrigued at the name changes...Elliot for Tom, Anne for the mother, it was an interesting while I personally don't think that a column in a newspaper would sell so well by simply pouring out the regrets of the writer for an unknown girl, I can guess that it might become quite addicting after some time! :)The variations from the original are as well handled as the canon ones; and while I was a teeny bit disappointed at the absence of the famous letter scene, I guess it was kinda redundant in the face of all his columns, especially the last one, of course. If anything, he had made his feelings too pathetically clear in them to show so much shyness in real life. I mean, Celia is quite a clever girl, can't she connect the dots more easily than that? But I guess I can't understand that kind of insecurity since I am not in love, lol. I am also glad that the proposal scene didn't go off as fluffily smooth as it could have; you made Celia stand for her rights before accepting his proposal. In fact, I distinctly remember a "Oh no, please don't do that!" escaping my lips when I read about her stompting all the way to the Fountain. I was honestly scared of her at that moment!The only thing is, I think that the kind of response he got that day should have made Tom too wary to plan the marriage the way he did. Even without fixing if she wanted to get married so early, how could he arrange for everything, from the license to the wedding dress? He was just plain lucky that she didn't punch him again and stalk off in a huff!:)

OK, as expected, I am going all fuzzy-brained after thinking the story critically through this far. If I think about something else, I will be back like the common cold. Just so you know, this was a grand tale! keep up the good job, and return to ff.n as soon as you can...maybe with Pride and Prejudice this time? I never get tired of those ones, but that's just my personal choice.

Love ya!

-ANITA-
Xari chapter 16 . 7/2/2010
Oh dear, I'm totally speechless! I've been hooked on this story day and night for the past three days. Each of the characters struck a chord in me, and I was wishing for a sister like Cassie and friends like Locke and Jen. Although I had doubts at first about how well Tom's columns would meld into the story, I now throw all that out to the winds. What a fabulous story! And not even mushy until the last chapter or two. Celia's discovery of her piano in Tom's music room was perhaps my favorite scene. Congrats on writing such a spectacular twist of Persuasion!
senghennydd chapter 16 . 6/17/2010
I absolutely loved this. I can't express just how amazing and well written this Fan Fic is. I just wish Persuasion was more popular so that more people would read it. I hope you pick up your pen again for some more Jane Austen! Completely beautiful.
Pip-2250 chapter 16 . 3/1/2010
Hello again, AmyI!

First off, I'm glad that I read your Northanger one first, because I would have been a bit miffed if I had just read: "Maybe I'll start a modern Northanger Abbey. I have this horrible antipathy toward Catherine Moreland. Maybe if I write her more likeable I won't be tempted to burn my copy." Hahaha.

This was a really Persuasion update. I loved being able to read the articles and get his perspective, because that is sadly lacking in most of Austen's novels. We never know what the man is thinking and sometimes, I really just want to know what is going on in their heads! And you've provided that for me. It was a very creative way to keep it about Celia, but still show Tom's inner monologue.

I loved Celia's reaction in this last chapter! You go, girl! I like that she got mad instead of immediately melting into a puddle of butter. I feel like that's how I would react, "Yes, it's a very nice sentiment, BUT I am so pissed off that he wrote about me in his paper again when I asked him not to!"

I really liked your characters, too. Tom was a pretty good Wentworth, always jumping to the wrong conclusions, making sure his foot and mouth were intimately connected, and just generally being a bit of an idiot and a flirt. Celia was a wonderful Anne. I love the change that comes over Anne in the book and you have that down. It's so subtle, and, yet, so obvious at the same time. Very well done with that.

Celia's sisters were dead on. Cassie was adorable, I really liked that their relationship was a little tighter in this story than in the book. I was always very sad that Anne couldn't really relate to either of her sisters and felt alone in her own family. I'm glad that in this one, she had Cassie to stick with. Aunt May as the pushy Lady Russel was also great. Oh, I felt so bad for her going on all those blind dates, but, honestly, she should've said no to begin with! I'm guessing that Jen and Scott were supposed to be the Crofts, which I really enjoyed. At first, I could figure out who the Crofts were (which is a shame, because I really think that the Crofts are some of the most interesting minor characters in there, I think their love story is wonderful). Louisa and Hannah were wonderful as the Musgrove girls. Louisa annoys me to no end no matter what century she's from! (The scene at the baseball game was hilarious, though! I couldn't help feeling that Tom was getting exactly what he deserved at that point). Alex, what a dickhead. And Ashley! What a turd sandwich.

I really, really, really liked this version of Persuasion. Another wonderful job!

Robyn
lynniern chapter 16 . 1/3/2010
I was so happy to find this tonight...now I don't have to wait for the remaining chapters at the other place! I love this story, how it ended and how you got Tom and Celia together! It's a wonderfully funny and witty story!
minna.bird chapter 16 . 10/25/2009
Oh my! I think I like this better than the other story, if possible!

You have such a talent for writing a story that the reader just gets sucked into and can't bear to put down. Your cast of characters, as in your other story, was absolutely loveable (except for the token strangle-able characters you'll find in anything Austen, who were appropriately strangle-able). And I must say, I'm glad Locke defied the original plot and failed to marry Lauren. Another thing I loved about the story was how well-written it was. It's oddly rare to find a story on here that you feel could be published, but this is definitely one of them. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this wonderful, wonderful story.

Minna
Sapphiregirl chapter 16 . 10/4/2009
Hi, AmyI!

Before I launch into a review of how fabulous this fic is, I have a confession to make. I started reading back when you only had three chapters posted, but at the time I had just finished re-reading "Persuasion" and, despite the fact that it was obviously well-written, "Take Two" was sufficiently different to put me off. So I hit the back button and went on my merry way.

Except I couldn't forget about your story. It niggled in the back of my mind, tantalizing me with the possibilities. So I came back and, boy, am I glad I did!

Yes, you changed names and made a few alterations to the fate of certain characters. But! Everything you did was plausible-in fact I think Jane Austen would have approved of Locke, I know I love him-and you created a thoroughly entertaining journey. I laughed, I cried, I *lived* alongside Celia every moment.

Not to mention every chapter was so well-written, I almost cried out of sheer relief. Your characterizations, descriptions, and dialogue are all top-notch. And your plotting! I really admire the way you threw cool twists into the original storyline and brought everything to not one, but two! grand, satisfying climaxes. (and you included libraries!)

I think one of the moments that made the biggest impression on me was the day after Celia meets Tom at the fountain when he asks her to tell him again that she loves him.

Another thing I truly appreciate is that you avoided gratuitous premarital sex. Tom and Celia waited until after the wedding-even Ashley and Alex were married-and it was perfectly natural, the way things should be. I LOVED that. It's a rare occurrence in the real fiction world, much less the realm of fanfics, and my hat is off to you.

Thank you SO much for a fabulous read!

Happy writing!