Reviews for Color Blind
She-Elf4 chapter 4 . 4/20
I really liked this chapter. Out of all the chapters, this one was my favorite. I loved the description of Trini's feelings of guilt, and how she knew it wouldn't last. (I guess that's another thing I didn't like about chp 5; where did her feelings of guilt go? Every time someone calls her, and when Jason kind of turns his back on her, she assumes it's her 'punishment' for doing something wrong. Also, all the other chapters emphasize her ability to read people as well as Billy reads computers, but she somehow didn't see that one coming.)
She-Elf4 chapter 5 . 4/20
I've really liked all the chapters so far, but I don't really agree with your assessment of Tommy in this chapter. This felt, more than anything, like an attempt to explain why Trini isn't in Dino Thunder. I know people do stupid things when they're hurt, but it's been years since his breakup with Kim. Besides that, he knows what it's like to lose powers, and Trini even tried to stop him from sacrificing himself (and becoming evil again) to save their friends from the Invenusable Flytrap. They have their own personal history together besides both being acquainted with Kim, and I don't think he'd forget that. And I really don't think he'd turn traitor after all the guilt he went through when he was turned evil against his will. The chapter is well written and an interesting take, but I just don't buy it personally.
koolkame chapter 5 . 8/27/2013
Very moody, I loved it. The Trini/Kim threw this yuri fanboy at first, but then it made sense because Trini was always the most emotionally in tune of the group and connected with the others the most. "Traitor" was what really threw me for a loop, though. Ouch.
GalanthaDreams chapter 5 . 3/13/2012
You are a literary goddess.
CelestialEnchantress07 chapter 5 . 1/30/2012
Wow! This story was amazing! Trini had chemistry with all the characters and I'm glad you captured them all!

Though I was saddened to see her not ending up with Jason. Thank goodness for oLaB, which I only recently found.

You're a terrific writer and thanks so much for sharing your talents to the world :)
viennacantabile chapter 5 . 7/18/2010
Oh, goodness. This chapter was...whoa. I love the setup of Kira wanting to meet Trini, and how that leads into the reveal about Tommy's betrayal and how Kira has that one thing that above all, was Trini's. Honestly, I'm kind of just sitting back and absorbing this chapter, because like I said, whoa. It's just kind of mindblowing, how you build their relationship and then tear it down, with that implosion of secrets, basically. Here we get the aftereffects, and they are not pretty. Again, you're really good at exploring the Rangers' personalities, and in this chapter we got their darker sides. Wow. And the part that summed it all up?

He can have that, have all of it, because in the end there's only one thing I can't bear to lose and he took it. He took my power. He took my inventions, my zords and my weapons, he took it from me and he gave it away. Tommy, the one who knows better than anyone what it feels like to lose the power, took mine away from me.

And that is the way they hurt each other. Gah. Well done, am adding to favorites and you to author alert so I don't miss anything else!
viennacantabile chapter 4 . 7/18/2010
Oh, damn. Oh, damn. Like you, I don't ship this, but this is insanely good. Again, the best thing you do here is explore other characters through Trini. You make them real in ways I'd never even considered. It's less about Trini/Kimberly, but about the effects on the team. This section in particular was brilliant:

She commiserates with Zack, agrees that if two people as well-suited for each other as Tommy and Kimberly can't make it there isn't much hope for the rest of the world, and she jokes and leaves openings for him to come up with his own puns until there's enough laughter for Zack to regain his footing. She makes Aisha believe that it isn't the distance that ruined things between Tommy and Kimberly, that space isn't enough to make love fade, that even if no one else remembers the timeline where Aisha grew up in Stone Canyon the Rangers will never forget her, will never stop caring about her, and as someone who left almost two years before the time spell Trini's a monument to the fact.

Here is where you really get across the fact that for the Rangers, this breakup wasn't just sad, it was a monumental shock, because like you said, if they couldn't make it, there was no guarantee any kind of relationship would last. I really, really loved Aisha's part for that, especially. And then you do it again, with Billy, where for him it's his own disconnection to the team. I just...seriously, I love how you explained Billy through that whole section, and again, how it's not just the breakup of the Tommy and Kimberly, but the fear of the breakup of the whole team, essentially.

And then again with Tommy's section? Again, brilliant character analysis. He does what he does (the hours of ranting and pouring his heart out, then after that the healing) because he's *Tommy*, and again, you show that so well. I don't quite know how to explain it, so I'm just going to hope you know what I mean, heh. But the most amazing part? Jason. Agh, I can't even explain how great that was, that he was the one to figure it out. And this, this, omg:

He never seems to realize that there is no going home again, that being the Gold Ranger won't make up for all the days he spent wearing Red, that no matter how Tommy is a part of the team it'll never be like those first few glorious months when Tommy was still The New Guy, that just because he left Geneva with a plane ticket saying "Destination: Angel Grove" doesn't mean he can go home again. Events and places don't create things like home and family and power, and if Jason knows that he can't accept it.

Such brilliance, ack. That's like, the single best explanation of Jason I've ever seen ( limited experience. But it's no less true.) I just—I can't even explain how amazing that was. Not just for Jason, but really, for the whole team and for their lives and how time moves on and all that. So, so good.

I think this was my favorite line, probably:

Kimberly remains, alone, still trying to make it in the world of gymnastics, still trying to fly without a zord.

But really, the whole thing was just so wonderful. Fantastic job.
viennacantabile chapter 3 . 7/18/2010
Aaaaaand somehow I missed that this was updated. Apologies. -_-; In any case, am catching up now, and I have to say that my favorite thing about this fic is how you explore the other Rangers' characters through the medium of Trini's love. Through her, we see them as real people, and we understand them both in the way that she views them, and as an observer, recognizing Trini's biases, if that makes sense. Which in turn characterizes Trini in the way she reacts to them. You develop all their characters really, really well. With Zack, here, I love love love the description of him at the Peace Conference, and why he loves it—the variety, the people, the diversity. That whole section from "Switzerland was a great experience to go out with a Brazilian girl art night" (he would, heh) is so well-done, and basically explains Zack's character in a way no one ever really does. He's the funny, cool one, yes, but here you *develop* him, and show that he's more than that, and why he is the way he is. And then I love what you did with "He just doesn't like to hold still," the way the concept of holding still turned into something much more than just physical. You got me to think about the other meanings behind those two words, essentially, and I love that. Well done! :)
paper.creations chapter 5 . 3/1/2010
Simply amazing. I absolutely adore your humor pieces, and when I saw you had written a character piece of Trini, I was interested to see what you'd do.

Exploring Trini's character through her reactions and relationships was fascinating. I love the fact that you exaggerated her relationships with her MMRP teammates into romances was interesting, and I think it really showed how she's looking for acceptance, and in Tommy's piece we see that she's never really gotten it.

I love how you explored not only Trini's character, but the others as well, and I must say, having all the Dino Thunder equipment being Trini's was a nice twist.

You played with canon in a great way, and I really enjoyed that fic. It was darkly emotional, but in a wonderful way, and you did it very well.

Congrats, it was lovely.

Vespera chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
This was quite a departure for you. I've read you humor; some zany, some more down to earth, but there's absolutely nothing funny about this story. You've done an amazing job of bringing us through some poignant moments and observations in Trini's life.

This story is so unique because you've taken one of the (sadly) most ignored Power Rangers and put a magnifying glass to her, studying her character from five different angles, through the backdrop of five different relationships. It's really a feat to make something like this even plausible; taking a romantic view on five different characters with one story, but you managed not to make Trini seem frivolous. And frankly, that would've ruined this story, since Trini has got to be the least frivolous character in MMPR. Part of your success was due to spacing out these five chapters over a solid decade, making it easier for the reader to believe Trini could explore her feelings for these different friends. Also, you did a terrific job highlighting the qualities that makes each of the Rangers unique, helping us appreciate them as such starkly different individuals, and finding each one’s unique appeal.

While all five chapters made for very interesting, very different reads, my favorites were Billy and Tommy. Billy because, to put it simply, much of the fandom believes this is a canon relationship. That they were so close in the first season of PR, it just HAD to be love. And as you said, then obstacle that usually stands between them is Trini viewing Billy as a brother. Such a different take on the Billy/Trini chemistry, and this approach made me think.

The Tommy chapter stood out because this one spanned years. This entire relationship was related in the past tense, with Kira of all people being the impetus for this tale. It emphasized that, despite Trini’s resilience (which was key to the earlier chapters), she could be hurt beyond repair. And that betrayal, as it were, had such far-reaching effects. Plus, this is probably one of three stories on the internet that considers Trini/Tommy with any degree of seriousness.

I think I'm about to run into that 10,0 character limit, so I'll shut up now. But you can certainly count your first foray into angst/drama as a success. I’m curious to see what other insights you can shed on our beloved characters.
monkeerangerfan chapter 5 . 1/1/2010
this was great.
Ghostwriter chapter 5 . 11/22/2009
Very cool. Catch ya on the flip side.
Ledophole chapter 4 . 8/5/2009
I always luvd Trini the most out of the power rangers. N I only watched the originals - this fic was really sad. But it was well_written
monkeerangerfan chapter 4 . 6/23/2009
great chapter. can't wait for the next one.
ThePink1 at Reefside.Net chapter 4 . 6/18/2009
Ouch! I'm honestly not sure who to feel wrse for here, Trini, Kim, or Jason. Tommy didn't deserve the letter, never that way, but this take on the situation is the most thought-provoking (but still soap-opera-ey!) I think I've seen. Thanks for the new and improved 'letter' fic, CG47. Kudos. Catch ya on the flipside, A J.